Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

Good. I want Quin to bring in his own guy. I want to see this entire organization from top to bottom flushed out with new blood.

If Caldwell stays, that just speaks to me that Martha Ford says one thing (GM is making the coaching decision), and means another (I'm still running the show.)

Normally with a new GM coming in I'd say there is a 99% chance the current coach gets fired. I just don't know this time. I think he has a 30% chance of staying. I honestly won't care either way if they keep Caldwell or not. I lean towards getting rid of him because I don't see anything special about him. But the players clearly have never quit on him.
They did in one game this year, I don't recall which one but they clearly quit working. It may have been KC game but a few games later, Mayhew and Lewand were fired. Strange season overall and not what I expected but there was that one game where I almost lost it because they stopped playing hard. May have been 8th game against KC.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah, I want a full blown rebuild. This organization has been a clown show my whole life. Keeping Caldwell speaks to what this team is famous for.

The winning at the end clouded the judgement of what this team really is: no good against real competition.

Good. I want Quin to bring in his own guy. I want to see this entire organization from top to bottom flushed out with new blood.

If Caldwell stays, that just speaks to me that Martha Ford says one thing (GM is making the coaching decision), and means another (I'm still running the show.)

I guess I consider Cooter and Austin new blood. Especially Cooter. The past few years this organization has made moves in the draft, free agency and in coaching to help Stafford take the next step ...all without much success.....and then we found someone in Cooter that seems to have done just that........and then we fire him????

Makes absolutely ZERO sense (if Cooter does get canned).

And as far as Austin......I just think he is and will be a good coach. I would love to see him stay.

What if Quinn wants Caldwell?

Guess we'll never know the answer to that question.

I don't buy the Cooter hype. Just don't. He's had half a season with a team playing for nothing against bad competition. Not ready to anoint this dude as the next coming of a great offensive coordinator.

I saw in that article that they only requested to interview the guy from Seattle but never did. I also think McDaniels will be the next coach and that's why he didn't do any interviews this weekend.

Guess we'll never know the answer to that question.

I don't buy the Cooter hype. Just don't. He's had half a season with a team playing for nothing against bad competition. Not ready to anoint this dude as the next coming of a great offensive coordinator.

Regardless of whether he is the next great OC, he and Stafford clearly have a relationship that works well. Most teams generally do struggle against the best defenses in the NFL. Seattle, Arizona, Kansas City, St. Louis. Those are some of the best defenses in the NFL.

We had more offense of continuity in eight games with Cooter then we did in 24 games with Lombardi. I'll take the proven track record of success, even if for only eight games. Also, it's generally excepted that it takes two years to fully learn a new offense of system. If that's the case, imagine how good Stafford could become once he really knows the details of what the Cooter wants to do. There are very very few cases of a quarterback having a high level of success with three offensive cordinator's in less than two years.

I'm not sure if Cooter is a great OC or not or if he becomes stale like Lombardi but not having to get another OC for Matt and offense would probably be big. But I'm not sure Cooter will be here unless Caldwell is. Unless maybe Austin gets hired..

Most teams generally do struggle against the best defenses in the NFL. Seattle, Arizona, Kansas City, St. Louis. Those are some of the best defenses in the NFL.

This sounds like more a defense of Lombardi than a endorsement of Cooter.

That whole, "Stafford has had a zillion offensive coordinators throughout his career" is a complete gross exaggeration. He had the same guy for the first five years, including his best year in 2011.

I always hear that brought up about his justification for not getting into sync. And I would probably bet that every starting QB in the NFL has had different guys that he has to work with every couple of years, whether it be QB coach, offensive coordinator, o-line coach (which impacts the QB).

Last edited:
Lombardi wasn't bad because of not scoring a bunch against the best defenses. It was play calling. IMO, his worse asset was not being aggressive. Just sitting on the ball when you have leads. Allowing the other team to catch up.

Back