Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

sick of people saying that Michigan is a 1man team

MichChamp02 said:
Beez said:
The worst part is that fans of other schools say "Michigans a one man team..all they have is Denard." ..then when you bring up Denard as one of the better players in the ocuntry they say he sucks and he can't throw and if such n such quarter back got to run that many itmes, they'd have those yards..blah blah blah.

I think you hit upon the real issue here: the people saying these things are really, really stupid, and when it comes to football don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Therefore, no one should pay attention to them.

You might consider, as an example of this type of person, some of the Spartan posters both on here and ESPN.com that watched the UM-ND game and said "These teams are terrible! if we don't destroy ND next week I will shoot myself!"

It seems like Denard is the new RR for Michigan fans. If you point out his obvious flaws then somehow you are against Michigan. He had less than 300 total yards against SDSU. A real quarterback would have 300 passing yards against these cupcakes. And, a real quarterback would have a running back with 100+ yards. So for Denard to make up for his pitiful arm, he needs to combine with Smith for 400 total yards. Until he does that his running ability is not making up for his pitiful passing abilities.

I realize that we are stuck with him for a while, so I will root him on and hope that he learns how to complete a pass. Anyone that calls him unstoppable or great either has not watched him throw the ball, or is blinded with Michigan beer goggles.

Another problem with Denard. What top receiver/Running back in their right mind is going to want to come to Michigan?

uofmpoweri said:
Another problem with Denard. What top receiver/Running back in their right mind is going to want to come to Michigan?

(asuming you're right and they wouldn't want to play with denard) one that realizes he is graduating next year?

I'm just happy that any complaints about our coaches, players, and team, now seem to be more or less entirely made up by people who need something to talk about, or come from dumb MSU fans that would be bashing Michigan regardless, as opposed to how it was under RR when things were the opposite...

DR said:
uofmpoweri said:

(asuming you're right and they wouldn't want to play with denard) one that realizes he is graduating next year?

Because top players don't expect to play when they are freshmen these days? 92 yards passing, 2 interceptions. Maybe we can get a big time receiver that wants to come to Michigan so that I can learn how to block and play special teams.

mgoblu976 said:
I think ESPN and other sports media are just trying to make a story to report on. Just about every team in the nation has a marquis player that would swing their season either way. Everyone on this board knows it's The TEAM, The Team, The Team!

Thats total Bull Shit.

Warmest Regards,
Peyton Manning

uofmpoweri said:
DR said:

Because top players don't expect to play when they are freshmen these days? 92 yards passing, 2 interceptions. Maybe we can get a big time receiver that wants to come to Michigan so that I can learn how to block and play special teams.

They're not in their right mind if they don't base their decision of where to attend college on who the QB will be during their freshman season. Right. Nothing about that sounds backwards...

uofmpoweri said:
It seems like Denard is the new RR for Michigan fans. If you point out his obvious flaws then somehow you are against Michigan. He had less than 300 total yards against SDSU. A real quarterback would have 300 passing yards against these cupcakes. And, a real quarterback would have a running back with 100+ yards. So for Denard to make up for his pitiful arm, he needs to combine with Smith for 400 total yards. Until he does that his running ability is not making up for his pitiful passing abilities.

I realize that we are stuck with him for a while, so I will root him on and hope that he learns how to complete a pass. Anyone that calls him unstoppable or great either has not watched him throw the ball, or is blinded with Michigan beer goggles.

Hey I understand you are a fan, and probably further trying to throw some reality into the analysis, but there is a place where you go terrrbly wrong (hopefully bolded above). To me that sounds like something a troll would say. It is BS. Believing that he is great is NOT in any way blinded or anything of the kind. It is called a differing opinion. Get over it.

You got your opinion on how he measures up to the NFL caliber QB's Michigan has produced in the past. Good for you.
I prefer to look at some rather smart pundits that count Drob among the Heismann candidates. Anyone who carries that moniker could be considered great by a multitide of people and many fan's opinions.

So on that one poiint you are wrong.

How many college football teams would LOVE to be "stuck"'with Denard? I bet a lot.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
I think what they mean is that we would lose without Denard. Sure it wasn't Denard who did anything defensivly, but there's a pretty good chance we have at least 1 loss if denard wasn't in the game at all.

Whether the game announcers or Corso on GameDay, saying "Denard XX - SDSU XX" isn't in any way inferring "we [sic] Michigan would lose without Denard," it's saying "This Dominating All-World Athlete at Michigan can win on his own against these scrubs"

Negative Nancy, you must like ColumbusBengal

Jever4321 said:
How many college football teams would LOVE to be "stuck"'with Denard? I bet a lot.

Absolutely! He's a great kid; humble and fun and damn fast.

If his shortcomings are being 4-0 he's no different than any other UM QB of the past 20yrs, because we all know 4-0 could mean RichRod 7-5 just as well as it might mean 8-3 Carr.

But 4-0 is 4-0 and I will take that win over noter dame sucks any year!
;)

Just get DR some Space and watch him run.... Nice option look last week... Hopefully his passing will get on track... To me he passes much better on the run... MSU fans are just pissed we beat ND and they didn't this year...

DR said:
I'm pretty sure Michigan has had some open receivers before Denard enrolled.

yeah, that's true, so we'd turn into a team that is probably below average at passing and still with absolutely no run game; instead of a team with a great run game and a bad passing game. Sorry if I don't see the light at the end of your situation. IMO our offense is a one man show at this point. There's a reason they're still running Denard 18-20 times a game.

Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing because plenty of teams have won based solely on their run game plenty of times before. And I'd much rather have a deadly run game than a deadly pass game.

One example ....when dRob rolls out against ND Gallon comes open because the DBs think he's going to take off running. A statuesque 'pocket passer' has Gallon covered.

There are trade-offs....

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
DR said:
I'm pretty sure Michigan has had some open receivers before Denard enrolled.

yeah, that's true, so we'd turn into a team that is probably below average at passing and still with absolutely no run game; instead of a team with a great run game and a bad passing game. Sorry if I don't see the light at the end of your situation. IMO our offense is a one man show at this point. There's a reason they're still running Denard 18-20 times a game.

Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing because plenty of teams have won based solely on their run game plenty of times before. And I'd much rather have a deadly run game than a deadly pass game.

What do you mean my situation? By no means do I want Denard benched...not even close. I just think too much is being made of Denard's affect on the WR's. Of course there are instances where safeties have to cheat because of Denard and it opens things up, but Borges is an accomplished OC. He will be able to scheme no matter who is in there at QB. I also think it's short sighted to say there would be absolutely no running game without him.

To me the main reason the offense has looked so rocky is pretty obvious...not only are the players learning a new system, but so are the coaches. This has not been your run of the mill transition, due to the drastic differences in the previous and current coach's styles, and - to Hoke/Borges' credit - their willingness to adapt and tailor their gameplan to the talent they have. Luckily they've made their way through the first 4 games and have another tune-up before the meat of the Big Ten schedule starts. Denard and Borges will find their niche. It's just going to take some time.

KAWDUP said:
uofmpoweri said:

Hey I understand you are a fan, and probably further trying to throw some reality into the analysis, but there is a place where you go terrrbly wrong (hopefully bolded above). To me that sounds like something a troll would say. It is BS. Believing that he is great is NOT in any way blinded or anything of the kind. It is called a differing opinion. Get over it.

You got your opinion on how he measures up to the NFL caliber QB's Michigan has produced in the past. Good for you.
I prefer to look at some rather smart pundits that count Drob among the Heismann candidates. Anyone who carries that moniker could be considered great by a multitide of people and many fan's opinions.

So on that one poiint you are wrong.

So I am being judgmental and you don't like my opinion because it differs from your opinion? Did you even read what you wrote? You are lecturing me because I am saying that he does not compare to NFL caliber Michigan QB's, fair enough. Then you tell me that you want to listen to people that say that he is Heisman Caliber. How many Heisman caliber players go undrafted? None! Therefore, you are saying that he is NFL caliber and in the same class (or better) than former great Michigan quarterbacks.

I, along with anyone (other than hope blinded Michigan fans) that has watched him throw the ball, will disagree. I think that a lot of these people that call him a heisman candidate look at the stat line. They didn't see him getting lucky throwing up jump balls against Notre Dame for 300+ passing yards. They simply see 500 total yards of offense. 500 yards of offense is impressive, but it is deceptive considering how poorly he played in that game.

As for the troll statement. If this board is only for Michigan yes men, then call me a troll. I don't really care.

So , 'PowerI' what was your name on ESPN anyways because this line sounds awfully familiar. And it's awfully 2008-09 sounding, I mean it's not like MICHIGAN has the #1 class for 2012, a 5-star Pro Style QB for 2013 and an entirely different staff, culture and scheme.

As for 'Heisman-caliber' players not being drafted, I'm assuming you mean to include all 4-5 Heisman Finalists over the past 20yrs or so, right? Guys like Eric Crouch who won the thing and never saw live action once in the NFL ... guys like that, right?

DR said:
uofmpoweri said:

They're not in their right mind if they don't base their decision of where to attend college on who the QB will be during their freshman season. Right. Nothing about that sounds backwards...

I think that it is fair. No one wants to turn into another Forcier. A smart player should stack the deck in his favor. Just like right now I would say that no one in their right mind would go to OSU or Miami to play football. Going to those schools create additional risk into the players future that a smart player should not allow. I know that "this is Michigan", but a player can get the same thing from another 40 schools in the country. Why take the chance of Denard setting your development back during 25% of your NFL prep school? Is that really an irrational line of thought?

Back