Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford

I think redzone efficiency is more about scheme and honestly thats where we lacked last year. We almost never went PA rollout which is almost a guaranteed score with either a run in or dump off in endzone. We could run a bunch of variations and also run more of the "pick" type of routes down in the endzone which were also non existent last year. Staffords accuracy needs to be better but he isnt missing by much and often he throws it where he does because the wr is still covered so he is trying to throw him open. I would like to see him work on touch and also the low strike both of which other qbs such as Rodgers use very effectively out of rollout situations. He just needs to be given better plays instead of shotgun spread crap with guys that cant catch or get open.

So all in all sounds like we are still seeing last years shortcomings continue to be issues this year as well. We should expect this team to still be at the bottom of the NFC north

So all in all sounds like we are still seeing last years shortcomings continue to be issues this year as well. We should expect this team to still be at the bottom of the NFC north

I wouldnt necessarily say that because all in all I wouldnt blame stafford for the season last year. He gave us multiple games that the defense blew in the end. Colts, Texans, and a few others. We were more of an 8-8 team last year than a 4-12 team. We were better than our record indicated which is nothing to take much from since we still wouldnt have been a playoff team. I think this team has the makings to push for a wild card spot but I also think it would require luck like we had in 2011 even though I think the team is better than it was than overall. We are just really hindered by playing in the best division in football right now aside from maybe the NFC west. Stafford will hopefully get a little more crisp once the season starts and he just starts playing I think right now he is trying to be to precise or to reserved. So once it matters and we open it up hopefully we can see some big numbers. I guarantee he plays well in the second half of games.

didn't see the last game but Staffords box score doesn't look very impressive, not even 50% completion percentage? Is he looking this bad, WR's dropping passes? just an ave QB without Calvin? not going through all progressions? too much pressure? what's the deal? why are the numbers looking so sub par thus far?

Its preseason and no CJ. Theres your answer...

I wouldnt necessarily say that because all in all I wouldnt blame stafford for the season last year. He gave us multiple games that the defense blew in the end. Colts, Texans, and a few others. We were more of an 8-8 team last year than a 4-12 team. We were better than our record indicated which is nothing to take much from since we still wouldnt have been a playoff team. I think this team has the makings to push for a wild card spot but I also think it would require luck like we had in 2011 even though I think the team is better than it was than overall. We are just really hindered by playing in the best division in football right now aside from maybe the NFC west. Stafford will hopefully get a little more crisp once the season starts and he just starts playing I think right now he is trying to be to precise or to reserved. So once it matters and we open it up hopefully we can see some big numbers. I guarantee he plays well in the second half of games.

I agree that they will have a better record this year than 4-12, how much better I'll remain with a prediction that it won't be enough to keep them out of the basement in the div

Wtf are you talking about? What is wrong with you people? lol

Complain in a loss, complain in a win.

Well, at least we Lions fans are damned consistent.

Thx no CJ and stafford is ave at best, you might be right

The offense is completely different without CJ. And ya know what?! It should be!! lol. We have the BEST WR in the business sitting on the sidelines. The best WR out there was Burleson...lol. Not making excuses for Stafford but the offense runs around CJ. Its not a secret..lol. Guys like Bush will open things up for Staff.

STAFFORD IS NOT THE FN PROBLEM!

Last edited:
I agree that they will have a better record this year than 4-12, how much better I'll remain with a prediction that it won't be enough to keep them out of the basement in the div

Playing the east and AFC North I think helps them. The NFC east isnt very good. The Skins will easily win that division if the preseason defense they are running is any indication and if Orakpo comes back they will be dangerous.

The eagles just arent very good in any facet of the game. A defense that has looked weak and an offense without a QB. Their weapons on O could be scary with McCoy and Jackson but losing Maclin hurts and that oline stinks.

Giants are a middle of the road team I think they will end up in second in that division but are certainly not a dominant team with a weakened Dline and a bad secondary and LB core.

Dallas is a who knows. Havent seen anything that makes me think they have turned that corner they have been on for a decade.

Steelers are good still. Defense is still a wrecking crew especially with Polamalu saying he is 100% again. But the offense is suspect and Oline is attrocious but with Big Ben they will still contend. Although the Wr's arent as good this year.

Baltimore has been a mixed bag so far. I think the D still has a lot of talent and should be formidable but not top 5 as is their usual ranking. The offense is still explosive with Smith, Rice, and Jones. Also a few other interesting pieces currently on their roster at wr like Mellette and Tandon Doss.

Bengals are going to be pretty good. They have some nice pieces at QB and WR. The D is hard hitting and has been good as well as a good Oline. They will be a tough matchup.

Browns are the browns. I think the preseason game shows what can go wrong if we play like poop but I dont think they are anywhere near as good as they showed that game. Good RB and Oline but not much else with a mediocre defense and weak wr core.

We havent seen how good or bad this team will be yet. I see potential but havent seen them really play to it so far in the preseason. Once the season starts this team is a mystery box as to what will happen. I hope it all comes together but also just dont have a ton of confidence in the current coaching staff not that they arent good but sometimes I wonder if they are a little stuck in their ways.

The offense is completely different without CJ. And ya know what?! It should be!! lol. We have the BEST WR in the business sitting on the sidelines. The best WR out there was Burleson...lol. Not making excuses for Stafford but the offense runs around CJ. Its not a secret..lol. Guys like Bush will open things up for Staff.

STAFFORD IS NOT THE FN PROBLEM!

I think Stafford has shown he has the potential to be elite especially how he plays late in games. He just needs to start putting 60 minutes together. Also I agree not having a CJ out there changes your playbook dramatically. This team will be fine.

Wtf are you talking about? What is wrong with you people? lol

LOL, most lion fans have low expectations until they win a damn playoff game again, it's unlikely to change. Lions getting my hopes up year after year is just simply no longer allowed

Last edited:
What's the point of watching sports if you can't get your hopes up? If you expect ugly... it's a pretty bad TV show. I could watch The View if I wanted bad TV.

I watch football to get my hopes up. Best part is, they can only break my heart once a year. My wife can do it every damned day.

What's the point of watching sports if you can't get your hopes up? If you expect ugly... it's a pretty bad TV show. I could watch The View if I wanted bad TV.

I watch football to get my hopes up. Best part is, they can only break my heart once a year. My wife can do it every damned day.

The game they finally broke the losing streak was probably one of the best days in my more recent memory along with 2011 wiinning in overtime giving themselves a playoff birth or a shot at one. I was at work watching on my phone and as soon as it went through i just went nuts man. Thats what sports are all about.

So the bottom line is, without CJ we suck on offense..?

So if he misses some plays or God forbid, a game, we're going to suck on offense?

I don't really have a problem with Staff, never have - but you guys are making it sound like if CJ is not in, we're in trouble? I get that and what a star means but damn, this is football - you need someone to step up in CJ absence..

Just depends on your overall point of view on things, IMO.

Pessimists will always be what they are. There are quite a few on this board. Every draft pick stinks unless they play at a HOF level. Every errant throw means you have a terrible qb.....ect.....getting injured before you've ever set foot on the field......means the guy is TURRBLE!!

Optimists will get their hopes up year after year.....regardless of the previous years outcome. Every pick will contribute. Every backup can play at a starter level. Team will make the playoffs every year as long as a list of 374 things go exactly right. LKP. Enough said.

Personally....I certainly fall on the optimist side. I don't see a point in finding the negative in my favorite team. Or turning on the TV expecting them to get beat. I enjoy cheering for them. I look forward to Sundays thinking of how they can win. That's just me.

To each his own, I guess.

So if he misses some plays or God forbid, a game, we're going to suck on offense?

I don't really have a problem with Staff, never have - but you guys are making it sound like if CJ is not in, we're in trouble? I get that and what a star means but damn, this is football - you need someone to step up in CJ absence..

Nobody on the current roster at WR/TE can do that......IMO.

The game they finally broke the losing streak was probably one of the best days in my more recent memory along with 2011 wiinning in overtime giving themselves a playoff birth or a shot at one. I was at work watching on my phone and as soon as it went through i just went nuts man. Thats what sports are all about.

You got it.

Good post.....well said.

Thats what you got out of the CJ reference? lol..of course you did.
Listen, this offense revolves around CJ. CJ opens things up more, Bush will open things up, creating better matchups for our lesser talent. This team doesnt have a true #2 behind CJ...its not a secret anymore. Players like Broyles, Edwards, Pettigrew need to step up and help shit out. Maybe even a Fauria, Willis emergence. They dont 'suck' without CJ, they just dont have as many options. Its pretty fn common in the NFL if your superstar is out, you're gonna struggle. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Back