Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford

Just depends on your overall point of view on things, IMO.

Pessimists will always be what they are. There are quite a few on this board. Every draft pick stinks unless they play at a HOF level. Every errant throw means you have a terrible qb.....ect.....getting injured before you've ever set foot on the field......means the guy is TURRBLE!!

Optimists will get their hopes up year after year.....regardless of the previous years outcome. Every pick will contribute. Every backup can play at a starter level. Team will make the playoffs every year as long as a list of 374 things go exactly right. LKP. Enough said.

Personally....I certainly fall on the optimist side. I don't see a point in finding the negative in my favorite team. Or turning on the TV expecting them to get beat. I enjoy cheering for them. I look forward to Sundays thinking of how they can win. That's just me.

To each his own, I guess.

You assume you root for the Lions more than say myself, or 'Hughes or anyone who wonders why Staff can't complete a pass to anyone over 10 yards outside of CJ.

You don't care about the Lions anymore than I do. You don't have more hope than I do. And you certainly don't root for a win more than I do. That's the thing all you "optimist" don't understand.

Thats what you got out of the CJ reference? lol..of course you did.
Listen, this offense revolves around CJ. CJ opens things up more, Bush will open things up, creating better matchups for our lesser talent. This team doesnt have a true #2 behind CJ...its not a secret anymore. Players like Broyles, Edwards, Pettigrew need to step up and help shit out. Maybe even a Fauria, Willis emergence. They dont 'suck' without CJ, they just dont have as many options. Its pretty fn common in the NFL if your superstar is out, you're gonna struggle. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

You're still missing my point. Shouldn't we have a reliable 2, yet? Are we not going to win if CJ misses a game? Because you make it sound like that.

You assume you root for the Lions more than say myself, or 'Hughes or anyone who wonders why Staff can't complete a pass to anyone over 10 yards outside of CJ.

You don't care about the Lions anymore than I do. You don't have more hope than I do. And you certainly don't root for a win more than I do. That's the thing all you "optimist" don't understand.

Wow....that's funny shit. NOWHERE in my post did I say I was a better or worse fan than anyone. Nor did I imply it.

Take out of my post whatever you want. There are positive and negative sides to each POV.....as I stated.

You getting that defensive about it and taking out only the negative comments tells me a lot though.

Mitch didn't used to be like this, neither did I, that's what years of disappointment do to a fan. The condition will only be corrected with a Lombardi, is this years team good enough for that? IMHO not even close, they'll be lucky to win 7 or 8

I would love to be wrong, but seen this movie many times, it ends with yet another complete overhaul of a the coaching staff another new offense and defensive scheme etc.. Maybe next cycle, I'll keep watching and wanting them to win because someday if they ever do surprise us it'll be one of the greatest enjoyments only a lions fan can truly understand

Last edited:
Mitch didn't used to be like this, neither did I, that's what years of disappointment do to a fan. The condition will only be corrected with a Lombardi, is this years team good enough for that? IMHO not even close, they'll be lucky to win 7 or 8

I would love to be wrong, but seen this movie many times, it ends with yet another complete overhaul of a the coaching staff another new offense and defensive scheme etc.. Maybe next cycle, I'll keep watching and wanting them to win because someday if they ever do surprise us it'll be one of the greatest enjoyments only a lions fan can truly understand

Unfortunately, you don't have to be very old to have seen numerous cycles of coaches, OC's, DC's, GM's....ect....

The Fontes/Mouse Davis run n shoot was my first cycle, if you will, that I was truly a fan. I don't remember much of Daryl Rodgers or that era at all.

You are right, NONE of it has worked very well. The '91 team was a combination of solid offense and defense, combined with a LOT of emotion from the Utley "thumbs up" tidal wave that roared through Detroit. That team probably overachieved. Caught an up and coming Cowboys team that wasn't ready to take the leap yet and CRUSHED them. Then were humbled and sent back to reality in Washington.

Other than that......we um.......uhhhh.........errrrr.......well, we had Barry Sanders, CJ, and 2 really good kickers. That's about it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you don't have to be very old to have seen numerous cycles of coaches, OC's, DC's, GM's....ect....

The Fontes/Mouse Davis run n shoot was my first cycle, if you will, that I was truly a fan. I don't remember much of Daryl Rodgers or that era at all.

You are right, NONE of it has worked very well. The '91 team was a combination of solid offense and defense, combined with a LOT of emotion from the Utley "thumbs up" tidal wave that roared through Detroit. That team probably overachieved. Caught an up and coming Cowboys team that wasn't ready to take the leap yet and CRUSHED them. Then were humbled and sent back to reality in Washington.

Other than that......we um.......uhhhh.........errrrr.......well, we had Barry Sanders, CJ, and 2 really good kickers. That's about it.

For myself, I'm 47, and have seen before Fontes. And Tigermud is right. Hell, at one point I was LKP.

Your last point is my point..all these years, CJ, Barry and a K's. So you can't understand, even a bit, why I'd be a bit pessimistic? Even a little bit..? After all these years? Add in the fact, this might be the best group of player's we've had in years and yet we still won only 4 games..I can still root for them with a bunch of distaste...I'm entitled..

You're still missing my point. Shouldn't we have a reliable 2, yet? Are we not going to win if CJ misses a game? Because you make it sound like that.

No mitch...that would entail one of mayhews high round picks to actually work out. Titus lost his mind and broyles is a slot wr with no knees we picked in the effing 2nd rd.

Missing your point? I explained it at nauseum to you bro. Do you need it tattooed across your fn forehead? Cmon.The offense will struggle without CJ. Its not hard to figure out. Other players need to step up...what dont you get?
And no where in my sentence did i say they would lose without CJ. I said they would struggle....huge difference.

Its preseason and no CJ. Theres your answer...

Even with cj he's a career 59% passer...he's not accurate. Cj we proclaim the best wr in the league had a horrible completion to target % age for years....like really horrible.

Great qbs make their wrs better...they don't complain that no one is getting seperation. Even andrew luck turned ty Hilton from an unknown rookie into a solid #2 in less than a year. We've lacked any resemblance of a 2 since brett periman lol.

I still think of staff as a top 20 qb making top 7 money. He needs to show progress this year and not have another year of regression.

Last edited:
For myself, I'm 47, and have seen before Fontes. And Tigermud is right. Hell, at one point I was LKP.

Your last point is my point..all these years, CJ, Barry and a K's. So you can't understand, even a bit, why I'd be a bit pessimistic? Even a little bit..? After all these years? Add in the fact, this might be the best group of player's we've had in years and yet we still won only 4 games..I can still root for them with a bunch of distaste...I'm entitled..

Ok. Honest question. No bullshit. Not being a smart ass.

Where did you get that I said I am a better fan OR that you don't have the right to cheer however the fuck you want?

I didn't.

If I'm being honest.....I really don't give a shit about what kind of fan you are. I don't know you....don't know how much you follow the Lions.....if you go to games......if you watch every Sunday......if you buy merchandise, jerseys, stuff for your kids (if you have kids) or ANY of that.

My post was about MY "fandom". As I said IN MY POST....that's just me. Meaning that I realize that my experience and optimism is just mine.

I'm 34. Never cheered for another team. Ever. Can I understand your POV? Sure. They have been horrible for a long freakin time. They are the Lorena Bobbit of the NFL. You start with a happy marriage and end up with your dick laying on the side of the road.

I choose to be optimistic. Every week I look for reasons/ways to win. Even when I know deep down that ain't happenin. The Colts on Thanksgiving a few years ago was an example. I enjoy being a fan. Even of the Lions. And in my opinion and experience....it makes the good times even better.

You could rip on me for being the way I am just as much as I might rip you and Hughes for the way you are. I really don't care. I guess it's good to have different POV's.....that's why we're all here, right?

Thats what you got out of the CJ reference? lol..of course you did.
Listen, this offense revolves around CJ. CJ opens things up more, Bush will open things up, creating better matchups for our lesser talent. This team doesnt have a true #2 behind CJ...its not a secret anymore. Players like Broyles, Edwards, Pettigrew need to step up and help shit out. Maybe even a Fauria, Willis emergence. They dont 'suck' without CJ, they just dont have as many options. Its pretty fn common in the NFL if your superstar is out, you're gonna struggle. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

This. Remember how deadly our offense was 2 years ago with Best? Remember what D-coordinators did last year when we didn't have Best? They covered all the deep routes to try and stop Calvin. Without Best, we didn't have anybody with a big play threat to catch the dump offs. With Bush, we have that wrinkle again. You saw it yesterday when Bush took that screen 70 yards. Two playmakers WILL make this offense click again because it means that the guys that have to cover Pettigrew, Burleson, Broyles, Scheffler, etc will have to keep an eye on Bush and or Calvin because they are always afraid of the big play. That little bit of hesitation is the difference at this level. You saw it on the Scheffler TD yesterday. Bush had a ton of touches that drive. Cue the fake to Reggie, TD Scheffler. Remember, we haven't seen Bush/Calvin together for more than a couple drives. Add in a healthy Broyles and our other weapons, our offense is going to be scary this year.

Even with cj he's a career 59% passer...he's not accurate. Cj we proclaim the best wr in the league had a horrible completion to target % age for years....like really horrible.

Great qbs make their wrs better...they don't complain that no one is getting seperation. Even andrew luck turned ty Hilton from an unknown rookie into a solid #2 in less than a year. We've lacked any resemblance of a 2 since brett periman lol.

I still think of staff as a top 20 qb making top 7 money. He needs to show progress this year and not have another year of regression.

I want Staff to be more consistent, yes but he's still not the issue...not even close. Did Stafford complain about his WRs? I must have missed that...

And funny how you call TY a 'solid' #2 WR when Titus almost had identical numbers as a rookie and you never said Titus was any good...lol. Explain that........fn hilarious

Last edited:
Don't worry about the offense. If the defense works like they did yesterday, we only need 2 Akers fields goals per game to win out. Hahaha!

Ok. Honest question. No bullshit. Not being a smart ass.

Where did you get that I said I am a better fan OR that you don't have the right to cheer however the fuck you want?

I didn't.

If I'm being honest.....I really don't give a shit about what kind of fan you are. I don't know you....don't know how much you follow the Lions.....if you go to games......if you watch every Sunday......if you buy merchandise, jerseys, stuff for your kids (if you have kids) or ANY of that.

My post was about MY "fandom". As I said IN MY POST....that's just me. Meaning that I realize that my experience and optimism is just mine.

I'm 34. Never cheered for another team. Ever. Can I understand your POV? Sure. They have been horrible for a long freakin time. They are the Lorena Bobbit of the NFL. You start with a happy marriage and end up with your dick laying on the side of the road.

I choose to be optimistic. Every week I look for reasons/ways to win. Even when I know deep down that ain't happenin. The Colts on Thanksgiving a few years ago was an example. I enjoy being a fan. Even of the Lions. And in my opinion and experience....it makes the good times even better.

You could rip on me for being the way I am just as much as I might rip you and Hughes for the way you are. I really don't care. I guess it's good to have different POV's.....that's why we're all here, right?

The way you insinuated. At least that's what I got. I also rot for the Lions in a game we know they will lose..And when they lost to the Redskins back in the day after their only playoff win, in forever, against Dallas, I will still watching at the end. I'm sure you were too. That's what fans do..We just have a different approach these days..

This. Remember how deadly our offense was 2 years ago with Best? Remember what D-coordinators did last year when we didn't have Best? They covered all the deep routes to try and stop Calvin. Without Best, we didn't have anybody with a big play threat to catch the dump offs. With Bush, we have that wrinkle again. You saw it yesterday when Bush took that screen 70 yards. Two playmakers WILL make this offense click again because it means that the guys that have to cover Pettigrew, Burleson, Broyles, Scheffler, etc will have to keep an eye on Bush and or Calvin because they are always afraid of the big play. That little bit of hesitation is the difference at this level. You saw it on the Scheffler TD yesterday. Bush had a ton of touches that drive. Cue the fake to Reggie, TD Scheffler. Remember, we haven't seen Bush/Calvin together for more than a couple drives. Add in a healthy Broyles and our other weapons, our offense is going to be scary this year.

Finally!!! Someone gets it!!! Yes, my brother...YES!!

Not being a pessimist by saying Stafford is playing subpar, obviously we just want more out of him and
know he has it in him.

The way you insinuated. At least that's what I got. I also rot for the Lions in a game we know they will lose..And when they lost to the Redskins back in the day after their only playoff win, in forever, against Dallas, I will still watching at the end. I'm sure you were too. That's what fans do..We just have a different approach these days..

Honestly....I wasn't insinuating ANYTHING.

I don't understand why people look at it the way you and Hughes do......just like you don't understand the way I look at it.

If you want to take that last sentence as I think I'm a better fan than you.....that's on you buddy.

Back