Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford

Whether Stafford is playing well or not right now, he's better than any alternative we have. I don't think it would be a bad idea to take a flier on some QB that drops in the 2nd round next year, to at least give the team another option, but that's a long way off.

Unfortunately, we've kind of accepted Matt by now for what he is, which is why we are hoping for better O-line and WR play. We can bash him for what he isn't, or we can hope the team improves where it can.

Stafford does need to play better but so does the entire offense. The O-line has been absolutely horrific. Our running game has been non existent and they appear to have forgotten how to pass block as well. Most offenses would struggle with that much pressure and complete lack of run game.

Stafford needs to take advantage of the moments he has though. Then again, so do the WR's. Tate has been the only bright spot. Maybe its play calling. Maybe Lombardi needs to call more plays that require Matt to get the ball out of his hands immediately. Didn't Stafford have the quickest release time during CJ's record year?

Stafford does need to play better but so does the entire offense. The O-line has been absolutely horrific. Our running game has been non existent and they appear to have forgotten how to pass block as well. Most offenses would struggle with that much pressure and complete lack of run game.

Stafford needs to take advantage of the moments he has though. Then again, so do the WR's. Tate has been the only bright spot. Maybe its play calling. Maybe Lombardi needs to call more plays that require Matt to get the ball out of his hands immediately. Didn't Stafford have the quickest release time during CJ's record year?

Yes, but he also wasn't very good in 2012. Arguably his worst year. Obviously the OLINE is a mess, the RB's are bit on and off, and the WR without CJ are are a bit underwhelming. It's the plays, where he has time and still can't make a play. The overthrow, the wrong read etc.

Yes, but he also wasn't very good in 2012. Arguably his worst year. Obviously the OLINE is a mess, the RB's are bit on and off, and the WR without CJ are are a bit underwhelming. It's the plays, where he has time and still can't make a play. The overthrow, the wrong read etc.

while tate has done well....hes also shown why hes not a #1. The offense is struggling because when teams put the focus on him and lock him down....Stafford has no idea what to do.

I'd like Matt a lot more if he was a late round draft pick or UFA making much less than what he currently makes. Might not make much sense - you're stuck with him. Even if you wanted to go another route you can't his cap numbers are hellish. Like Wilson, if he plays poor the next year or so Seattle could get rid of him, no harm no foul. Because he's cheap..

If Matt was a late round pick, he would've been replaced in 2011 after back to back season ending injuries.

If Matt was a late round pick, he would've been replaced in 2011 after back to back season ending injuries.

And that's a bad thing? I don't mind CJ's and Suh's contract because as far as their positions go..they're earning their pay. If this is a real defense, continue to build it and get a QB who just has to manage, play it safe..200 yards, 1 TD no INT games. But be consistent.

I'd love to have a great QB like Manning or Brees, Brady and Rodgers. Oh well, 2017.

while tate has done well....hes also shown why hes not a #1. The offense is struggling because when teams put the focus on him and lock him down....Stafford has no idea what to do.
That's on Stafford not tate. You bitched about the Tate signing since the day out was done. You said he wasn't a number 2 barely a 3. Tate has proven to be even better than i thought because he has been a number 1 for us. Calvin went out and he's still put up over 100 yards. If not for a terrible oline that came out of nowhere and pretty piss poor conservative ass play calling we would be considered the best team in football.

That's on Stafford not tate. You bitched about the Tate signing since the day out was done. You said he wasn't a number 2 barely a 3. Tate has proven to be even better than i thought because he has been a number 1 for us. Calvin went out and he's still put up over 100 yards. If not for a terrible oline that came out of nowhere and pretty piss poor conservative ass play calling we would be considered the best team in football.

I bitched about paying so much for a guy that was a #3 on the seahawks. Obviously, I knew hed be our #2 here. And with that said....I think hes shown why hes not a #1 so far this year. If were counting on him to make plays all year...were in trouble because when teams focus on him....he can disappear for a loooong time. Hes been utilized more than previous #2s here which ive stated all season is a good sign. Hopefully calvin can return 100% soon so tate can go back to being a compliment...where he belongs. Ps...calvin would be back already 100% if our coaches weren't dumbasses.

Tate isn't a #1 wr, he is the best #2 we've had in a long time though, why bitch? He is a great asset, and has been Staffords security blanket with CJ out. We shouldve went wr in the draft instead of TE, that's for damn sure. Benjamin and Tate might be putting up great numbers right now with CJ out, who knows? Oh wait, Stafford is getting destroyed out there cuz our oline is pathetic, maybe Tate alone would be putting up even better numbers if we our oline was playing as well as they did last year. Who knows? Until this oline is FIXED this offense will struggle, that I consider a fact.

Last edited:
I bitched about paying so much for a guy that was a #3 on the seahawks. Obviously, I knew hed be our #2 here. And with that said....I think hes shown why hes not a #1 so far this year. If were counting on him to make plays all year...were in trouble because when teams focus on him....he can disappear for a loooong time. Hes been utilized more than previous #2s here which ive stated all season is a good sign. Hopefully calvin can return 100% soon so tate can go back to being a compliment...where he belongs. Ps...calvin would be back already 100% if our coaches weren't dumbasses.

Problem isn't that Tate isn't a #1 its that the other complementary pieces aren't getting it done. the real problem is that our QB has the worst pocket presence in the league. even with piss poor protection good QB's now how to slide in the pocket to buy time. Stafford's nickname should be Grimace.

Last edited:
I agree on Calvin. But i disagree on tate. I think he's shown up in the clutch and everyone knew we were going that way. Thinking about buffalo he got us in field goal position at the end of the game. it shows a lot our number 2 can excel when our number 1 is out. We haven't had that. Stafford just needs confidence throwing to other guys. Won't go to ebron, Pettigrew, fuller, Ross. I just don't get it. If we spread it out we could succeed with what we have.

Problem isn't that Tate isn't a #1 its that the other complementary pieces aren't getting it done. the real problem is that our QB has the worst pocket presence in the league. even with piss poor protection good QB's now how to slide in the pocket to buy time. Stafford's nickname should be Grimace.

The slide in the pocket reminds me of Jets-NE two nights ago. Jets were killing Brady in the 2nd half, up by one he slid outside just enough time to hit his receiver for TD and it held up..

Matt doesn't need to be a running QB just move around a little bit.

Back