Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The 2021 NFL Draft

Touchdown wire, whoever they are gave us a B for our pick. Because we didn't go WR.

That may be the lowest grade I've seen. I've checked a few this morning and the worst grade was B+.

As a Lions fan, I'm just wondering how this will fail.

That may be the lowest grade I've seen. I've checked a few this morning and the worst grade was B+.

As a Lions fan, I'm just wondering how this will fail.

I know right but this time of the year we have some hope. Probably a safer pick than a WR hopefully he stays healthy.

I think Sewell was the safe pick. I think it would have been better for them to trade back though.

Detroit Lions general manager Brad Holmes admitted he identified two other players worthy of the No. 7 overall pick that ultimately went to selecting Oregon offensive lineman Penei Sewell in Thursday's first round of the NFL draft.

So who were the other two mystery men?

Holmes wouldn?t say, though he suggested one was another offensive lineman when he said he played ?a similar position.?

Part of that unfolding included phone calls from teams interested in moving up with quarterbacks Justin Fields of Ohio State and Mac Jones of Alabama still on the board, as well as cornerbacks Jaycee Horn of South Carolina and Patrick Surtain II of Alabama and Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith.

?The phone rang from a couple of teams,? Holmes said, ?but we just felt so good about Penei, it wasn?t intriguing enough calls for us to risk not landing him.?

Holmes also wouldn't say which prospective trade partners were interested in which players, but he admitted the Lions liked Sewell more than Fields, whom the Chicago Bears traded up to draft 11th.

I personally loved the pick last night. Sewell was the best non QB in this class and I always thought he had the best chance of anyone to be a future hall of famer. Obviously we have a long way to go to even talk about that, but he was my guy if we didn't trade down. If Vatai can rebound at RG we good have very good players at each spot across the line. Combine that will two of the best run blocking TE's and this team can be very good at running the ball and keeping games within reach. Obviously this year is probably a wash, but this O-Line could be among the best for many years to come.

On to day 2. IMO the dream scenario is JOK. He was a guy I would have taken in the late teens so to get him at #41 would be a slam dunk. I do think after teams restack their boards and reassess he will be gone in the first three picks today and I don't think we trade up for anyone.

At the end of the day it is looking like a WR is going to be BPA and is our biggest need. I think we go back to back offense. Either way here is my list.

1. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

2. Elijah Moore

3. Trevon Moehrig

4. Christian Barmore

5. Terrace Marshall

6. Nick Bolton

If those guys are all gone the rest of the guys I like could probably be had later in the 2nd so I hope we can drop drop and get a little more capital.

I would be good with Dyami Brown/Cox/Grant/Holland/Molden/Samuel/Rondale Moore in a trade down picking up an extra 3rd if my top 6 are gone.

Also, it came out in an interview a couple days ago that he grew up a Lions fan. How great is that.

I personally loved the pick last night. Sewell was the best non QB in this class and I always thought he had the best chance of anyone to be a future hall of famer. Obviously we have a long way to go to even talk about that, but he was my guy if we didn't trade down. If Vatai can rebound at RG we good have very good players at each spot across the line. Combine that will two of the best run blocking TE's and this team can be very good at running the ball and keeping games within reach. Obviously this year is probably a wash, but this O-Line could be among the best for many years to come.

On to day 2. IMO the dream scenario is JOK. He was a guy I would have taken in the late teens so to get him at #41 would be a slam dunk. I do think after teams restack their boards and reassess he will be gone in the first three picks today and I don't think we trade up for anyone.

At the end of the day it is looking like a WR is going to be BPA and is our biggest need. I think we go back to back offense. Either way here is my list.

2. Elijah Moore

3. Trevon Moehrig

4. Christian Barmore

5. Terrace Marshall

6. Nick Bolton

If those guys are all gone the rest of the guys I like could probably be had later in the 2nd so I hope we can drop drop and get a little more capital.

I would be good with Dyami Brown/Cox/Grant/Holland/Molden/Samuel/Rondale Moore in a trade down picking up an extra 3rd if my top 6 are gone.

That would be very close to my top 6 going into round 2 as well, maybe flip flop Moehring and Marshall. We should get another guaranteed starter at 41.

For all the Goff downers who complain he needs support of a run game and a solid OL to protect him, it appears the guys in charge have provided a solution.

Love the pick. OL usually needs a little more time to develop than DL, so the ability to get 2 solid guys on D in 1st round next year is setting the team up for great potential. Add in 2 more 1sts in 2023 and Lions are destined for playoffs...probably winning division by 2024.

For all the Goff downers who complain he needs support of a run game and a solid OL to protect him, it appears the guys in charge have provided a solution.

Love the pick. OL usually needs a little more time to develop than DL, so the ability to get 2 solid guys on D in 1st round next year is setting the team up for great potential. Add in 2 more 1sts in 2023 and Lions are destined for playoffs...probably winning division by 2024.

I think either one or both of those 1st's next year is going to be used on a QB. Howell from NC or that kid from USC.

I just don't think Goff is going to pan out. I hope he does because that frees up those picks.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...roit-lions-gm-brad-holmes-day-1-draft-presser

Holmes presser on the pick

Sewell right tackle for now
Got trade down offers before and even on clock but Sewell too good to pass
Ecstatic for Sewell. One of 3 they really wanted
Considered Slater too and on other guy
Ranked Sewell BPA over Fields

Love how open he is

LOL. He can seem "open", but they're never going to say that they didn't get "their guy" after the pick. Why would any GM do that?

For all we know they we're fuckin pissed that Miami took Waddle, and their trade down offers were less than exciting, so they settled for Sewell. Who knows.

I just hope Sewell works out to be as advertised. If so, the Lions line could be top 5 in the league. I don't think I've ever said those words.....and I'm 42.

It makes Swift and Williams better.
It makes Goff better.
It gives Goff time for the speed we've signed to get downfield and for Hockenson to get free.

Could help make the offense come together.

Now, need a LB, S and slot WR.

2. Elijah Moore

3. Trevon Moehrig

4. Christian Barmore

5. Terrace Marshall

6. Nick Bolton

If JOK is gone (very high probability) then I am definitely liking Cox as the pick. The guy is great in pass coverage and that has been an issue far too long with Lions LBS.

Some will say he is a reach at #41, but I would be good with it. If they trade back and get him, even better.

LOL. He can seem "open", but they're never going to say that they didn't get "their guy" after the pick. Why would any GM do that?

For all we know they we're fuckin pissed that Miami took Waddle, and their trade down offers were less than exciting, so they settled for Sewell. Who knows.

I just hope Sewell works out to be as advertised. If so, the Lions line could be top 5 in the league. I don't think I've ever said those words.....and I'm 42.

It makes Swift and Williams better.
It makes Goff better.
It gives Goff time for the speed we've signed to get downfield and for Hockenson to get free.

Could help make the offense come together.

Now, need a LB, S and slot WR.

They were very happy Sewell fell. He said there were 3 guys they would have been this happy about. Did you see the video when they made the pick. Holmes was jumping around hugging people taking fools out. He almost took out Sheila with a bear hug

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...oom-reacts-to-their-selection-of-penei-sewell

This looks like they are super happy he fell and didn't care about Waddle.

Last edited:
My ideal Day 2 picks:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
Azeez Ojulari, Edge, Georgia

Baron Browning, LB, Ohio State
Jabril Cox, LB, LSU
Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

Rashad Weaver, Edge, Pitt
Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State
Pete Werner, LB, Ohio State

They were very happy Sewell fell. He said there were 3 guys they would have been this happy about. Did you see the video when they made the pick. Holmes was jumping around hugging people taking fools out. He almost took out Sheila with a bear hug

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...oom-reacts-to-their-selection-of-penei-sewell

This looks like they are super happy he fell and didn't care about Waddle.

I saw a bunch of war rooms that were very similar. They're not going to not show exciting (double negative), that's war room 101.

Back