Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The annual Way to early but not really 2021 Draft Thread!

LOL. There is a reason why everything happens for each GM/HC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...arterback-when-it-is-best-decision-for-lions/

And they still really like Stafford. We'll see what the new GM does

Wasn't the time to draft a QB in 2020. And team really needed defense badly. So they went corner. And we'll see who is better in the long term. Stafford can play for the Lions for the next five seasons based on his age and talent.

A GM one of these days needs to build a good team for him. Mayhew did but only came together in 2014 but only one year due to contracts and injury. The DT contracts expired and Levy had basically a career ender and Lombardi exposed as terrible OC along with Oline coach in 2015.

Leads to the Quinn era. Solid start in 2016/2017 but then Patricia wrecked it with man scheme, no adjustments, little blitzing, and conservative bullshit. Plus the culture wrecked in 2018.

Doesn't mean we can't find the right formula. We'll see if Stafford apart of it.

Miami leads the league in turnovers forced. That helps Mr Tua big time. Dolphins have a defense to win games.

Chargers have some weapons in Ekeler, Keenan Allen just a great slot, YAC and separation WR and Mike Williams 1st rounder and Hunter Henry. Chargers a little better rushing yards per game Protection a bit worse though. Who knows how Herbert would have done without KG, less run game and a more difficult schedule for the Lions. And again would be sitting behind Stafford and may never have found out. Plus no Okudah for the future. There is some hope at CB still if a pass rush is found.

Tua and Herbert could be 0-13 Lions right now and shattered confidence for them.

I don't want Stafford beyond next year. He had his chance. Whether or not it's his fault is irrelevant. It's time to change the show. And I sure as shit hope the GM doesn't make the coach keep Stafford against his will. If he wants him here the next year to pass the torch to Wilson or whatever QB they draft, great. But they have to plan for the future, and there is no better year than now to draft a franchise QB.

Stafford's breaking down. I don't question his toughness. But he's been beat up for 12 plus years on a complete shit organization. For his benefit and the benefit of the team, let him move on.

I don't want Stafford beyond next year. He had his chance. Whether or not it's his fault is irrelevant. It's time to change the show. And I sure as shit hope the GM doesn't make the coach keep Stafford against his will. If he wants him here the next year to pass the torch to Wilson or whatever QB they draft, great. But they have to plan for the future, and there is no better year than now to draft a franchise QB.

Stafford's breaking down. I don't question his toughness. But he's been beat up for 12 plus years on a complete shit organization. For his benefit and the benefit of the team, let him move on.

Agree it would be good for Stafford to have a fresh start for him as a player to actually win games with the same level of good play he provides. But it depends on the draft capital for the team he could bring. And of course whiffing on the next QB pick would set the Lions back even further though.

And who knows. Maybe the next GM and HC want to keep him too. That will be a very early discussion in the HC hiring process for their plan at QB. Stafford can play another 5 years which is an eternity for NFL future. Don't see the next 5 years being better for the Lions in the hands of Wilson or Trask or Lance. They can build around Stafford with cap space even at his cap number for 2021. Quinn changed like 10+ starters in 2020 with around the same cap number the new GM will have (with the right cuts, Trufant, Nick Williams, Jessie James etc). Out with the suck/injured in with the new.

Already have Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Swift, Hock built around Stafford. Vaita cap and healthy, Crosby cheap final year and Stenberg cheap 2nd year guard should be back too. WR is a expiring contract thing to fix and can be with the picks and FA Cap space the Lions will have along with many new defensive players. Flowers (good and cap), Hand (cheap and good), Walker (cheap showed promise first 2 years), Okudah (talent promise and health), AO (solid), maybe Coleman can remain on defense for 2021

Should a new GM resign Golladay or Jones? Depends on price tag but it is possible.

Last edited:
Agree it would be good for Stafford to have a fresh start for him as a player to actually win games with the same level of good play he provides. But it depends on the draft capital for the team he could bring. And of course whiffing on the next QB pick would set the Lions back even further though.

And who knows. Maybe the next GM and HC want to keep him too. That will be a very early discussion in the HC hiring process for their plan at QB. Stafford can play another 5 years which is an eternity for NFL future. Don't see the next 5 years being better for the Lions in the hands of Wilson or Trask or Lance. They can build around Stafford with cap space even at his cap number for 2021. Quinn changed like 10+ starters in 2020 with around the same cap number the new GM will have (with the right cuts, Trufant, Nick Williams, Jessie James etc). Out with the suck/injured in with the new.

Already have Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Swift, Hock built around Stafford. Vaita cap and healthy, Crosby cheap final year and Stenberg cheap 2nd year guard should be back too. WR is a expiring contract thing to fix and can be with the picks and FA Cap space the Lions will have along with many new defensive players. Flowers (good and cap), Hand (cheap and good), Walker (cheap showed promise first 2 years), Okudah (talent promise and health), AO (solid), maybe Coleman can remain on defense for 2021

Should a new GM resign Golladay or Jones? Depends on price tag but it is possible.

I think he can get a first or second round pick from a veteran team that needs someone immediately to get them over the hump. I am still not as convinced as you are that he'll just come in and be amazing with more help; there is something to be said for the QBs who have gone through the playoff ringer and have been challenged at the highest level. Stafford has barely scratched the playoffs and has no idea what divisional games or divisional championships are like. Playing Green Bay in the regular season is one thing- playing them in the playoffs is another.

And while I realize 32 is not super old for a QB, he's been in the league going on 13 years and has barely missed any time- the dude has been beaten up over and over again, and I commend him for his toughness.

I also question how much he truly wants to win. If he did, he would have demanded a trade six years ago. I think he got his money, he loves the game, but that fire is not there to be a champion.

Last edited:
I think he can get a first or second round pick from a veteran team that needs someone immediately to get them over the hump. I am still not as convinced as you are that he'll just come in and be amazing with more help; there is something to be said for the QBs who have gone through the playoff ringer and have been challenged at the highest level. Stafford has barely scratched the playoffs and has no idea what divisional games or divisional championships are like. Playing Green Bay in the regular season is one thing- playing them in the playoffs is another.

And while I realize 32 is not super old for a QB, he's been in the league going on 13 years and has barely missed any time- the dude has been beaten up over and over again, and I commend him for his toughness.

I also question how much he truly wants to win. If he did, he would have demanded a trade six years ago. I think he got his money, he loves the game, but that fire is not there to be a champion.

Just a first is not enough because we will have to use that on the QB. Lions get cap space only then, inexperienced unknown QB and have not built anything extra then. Lions will have plenty of cap space with Stafford on his deal the next 2 seasons and an extension possible. But up to the next GM/coach. We'll know in about 3.5 months because there is a roster bonus due to Stafford early in the new league year.

Just a first is not enough because we will have to use that on the QB. Lions get cap space only then, inexperienced unknown QB and have not built anything extra then. Lions will have plenty of cap space with Stafford on his deal the next 2 seasons and an extension possible. But up to the next GM/coach. We'll know in about 3.5 months because there is a roster bonus due to Stafford early in the new league year.

I don't think the roster bonus is a hurdle or any kind of deadline. If the Lions pay it before they trade him, they could demand even more in return because of his lower cap numbers in 2021 & 2022 for the team acquiring him.

Also, if Matt is on the Lions next year, I wouldn't read too much into that. It could be as simple as there was no trade market for him. Of course, the new GM would spin that as "Matt is our guy, we want to move forward with him"

I don't think the roster bonus is a hurdle or any kind of deadline. If the Lions pay it before they trade him, they could demand even more in return because of his lower cap numbers in 2021 & 2022 for the team acquiring him.

Also, if Matt is on the Lions next year, I wouldn't read too much into that. It could be as simple as there was no trade market for him. Of course, the new GM would spin that as "Matt is our guy, we want to move forward with him"

There is clearly a trade market. But if the new GM/HC decides he is their guy, that will be telling in the draft when they don't take a QB early

2 years left on his deal. Theres potential to get multiple picks if a team thinks they are in win now mode like potentially a SF.

PIT and Indy both in the same spot if their vet qbs decide to retire.

Den could give up on locke after picking Jeudy and Hamler and not getting much from their QB.

Washington could pull the trigger to spark their offense and take control of a weak NFC East with a good defense.

So ya, could be potentially a heavy trade market for stafford.

Currently picking 8 -12. We all hoping for Hou, ATL, CAR, PHI, DEN, LAC, NYG, DAL and SF wins!

Hou and ATl lions'd their games away late. Wouldnt that be nice if we could be in a position to Lions a game away? Remember those days? Now we get to lose by 20 to shitty teams like carolina and Hou and getting blown the fuck out by an average TEN team. Yay us.

Last edited:
Currently picking 8 -12. We all hoping for Hou, ATL, CAR, PHI, DEN, LAC, NYG, DAL and SF wins!

Hou and ATl lions'd their games away late. Wouldnt that be nice if we could be in a position to Lions a game away? Remember those days? Now we get to lose by 20 to shitty teams like carolina and Hou and getting blown the fuck out by an average TEN team. Yay us.

If they do what they are supposed to and lose the final couple games, I think they'll end up at 7 or 8. And you'll have the opportunity at a good QB. I still really like Zac Wilson. He's a tall, mobile kid with a GREAT deep ball and has a lot of fire in him. Quite honestly, he's every bit as good as Fields.

Trey Lance could also be really good, but he's much more of a wild card.

If they do what they are supposed to and lose the final couple games, I think they'll end up at 7 or 8. And you'll have the opportunity at a good QB. I still really like Zac Wilson. He's a tall, mobile kid with a GREAT deep ball and has a lot of fire in him. Quite honestly, he's every bit as good as Fields.

Best bet grab Wilson, then all D. Let Stafford get beat up a year and then following draft, more D and depth - WR etc.. Wilson starts. Trade Stafford for a pack of bubblegum.

Agree, i like Wilson more than Fields. The knock on him is he doesnt play top competition. So what. You call the Big 10 top competition? lol....the big 10 sucked ass.

Unfortunately, you can only pick Wilson if you trade Stafford. Way too many holes on this team on offense and defense to waste a pick on a QB if youre keeping stafford. Best case scenario you trade stafford and get a 1st and 2nd rd pick and then you can afford to get Wilson in the top 10.

Offensive needs: G, RT, WRx2, potentially QB
Defensive Needs: DE, LB, LB, OLB, CB, S, DT

Last edited:
Its hard to improve when your best value pick out of the draft come from a 6th rd DT.

1 Okudah. Worst value ever?
2 Swift. Average production at best. Not 2nd round worthy production.
3 Okwara. Tied with Okudah for worst value ever. Like 4 snaps all year?
3b Jackson Good Value...solid starter
4 Stenberg never played a snap?
5 Cephus Plays a lot...never produces.
5b Huntley Cut
6 Penisini Probably our best interior Dlineman. Sad...
7 Cornell injured or something...

Agree, i like Wilson more than Fields. The knock on him is he doesnt play top competition. So what. You call the Big 10 top competition? lol....the big 10 sucked ass.

Unfortunately, you can only pick Wilson if you trade Stafford. Way too many holes on this team on offense and defense to waste a pick on a QB if youre keeping stafford. Best case scenario you trade stafford and get a 1st and 2nd rd pick and then you can afford to get Wilson in the top 10.

Offensive needs: G, RT, WRx2, potentially QB
Defensive Needs: DE, LB, LB, OLB, CB, S, DT

I don't think that is necessarily true. GB just did it this last season drafting Love. You can draft the future QB with the current guy on the staff. It will either motivate the hell out of Stafford to play well and get traded, or he'll just say trade me now. You aren't going to find a deeper draft class in a LONG time. Other than Laurence, I think all the other QBs are a toss up as to whether or not they will succeed. Roll the dice.

I don't think that is necessarily true. GB just did it this last season drafting Love. You can draft the future QB with the current guy on the staff. It will either motivate the hell out of Stafford to play well and get traded, or he'll just say trade me now. You aren't going to find a deeper draft class in a LONG time. Other than Laurence, I think all the other QBs are a toss up as to whether or not they will succeed. Roll the dice.

to your point i think you can get Ian Book in rd 2 or 3 and the talent doesnt drop off much from say a Trask or Trey Lance.

to your point i think you can get Ian Book in rd 2 or 3 and the talent doesnt drop off much from say a Trask or Trey Lance.

I have watched Book enough throughout his career- he just doesn't look like he'll be a great NFL QB. I think Wilson's skillset is vastly superior to Book. I don't want the Lions to half-ass their QB rebuild- it needs to be a 1st rounder.

I have watched Book enough throughout his career- he just doesn't look like he'll be a great NFL QB. I think Wilson's skillset is vastly superior to Book. I don't want the Lions to half-ass their QB rebuild- it needs to be a 1st rounder.

yup i put Lawrence 1 and Wilson 2. Fields 3, but i see him as a Jalen Hurts type qb. Lance and Trask 4. They could all be 1st rd potential.

I don't mind Trask- the problem is that he is such a statue. He does not move.

I would rather roll the dice on Lance before taking Trask.

yup i put Lawrence 1 and Wilson 2. Fields 3, but i see him as a Jalen Hurts type qb. Lance and Trask 4. They could all be 1st rd potential.

as far as raw talent goes, Fields is hands down #2. Arm talent, accuracy, and athletic ability, he is off the charts. His downfall is trying too hard when things break down vs. just throwing the ball away. If he is coached up, he could be better than Lawrence. That probably won't happen with the Lions.

as far as raw talent goes, Fields is hands down #2. Arm talent, accuracy, and athletic ability, he is off the charts. His downfall is trying too hard when things break down vs. just throwing the ball away. If he is coached up, he could be better than Lawrence. That probably won't happen with the Lions.

Lol you dont even know who the coach is going to be. This is why lions fans suck so much

Cant wait to see people blame Wilson or Fields for losing a game and two throws Lions fans think somebody was open when they dont observe the pressur or progrrssions. Then completely ignore injurirs, bad defense and bullshit unlucky fumbles

Back