Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The New Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Bosh acted the same way the summer before the big three went to Miami. Some people are just like that. But he's a child. And sorry, but most of these kids aren't exactly the brightest in the world, sorry to say.

Marshall would be awesome. That would be a major pick up. A defensive backfield featuring Marshall and Peppers? Forget about passing the ball.

Peppers on one side, Marshall on the other, then say, "Show me who wants to wear #2!!!"

I'm not sure Blake would even be good enough to bring in for 5nDime time, but hopefully the new staff can turn that rock into some type of gem. Even pyrite would be an improvement right now.

You're the second person that has brought this up and I still don't see how this matters. The kid committed to Hoke and changed his mind when Hoke was canned. He is a child and made a stupid comment, now he's considering his options. If anyone looks bad in this situation it's OSU, who's still recruiting the kid in spite of the fact that he made derogatory comments about their program.

It's not exactly breaking news that teenage CHILDREN are flakes. It's also understandable that a kid would reconsider his options when he making a major decision that's going to shape the rest of his life.

I believe that he decommited before Hoke was canned, and ran straight to the OSU program. When he has to ride the pine behind the backs we have he will leave or bitch.....Send him to Bama or OSU, UM has enough drama.

Harris committed to Bama today. Good luck to him. What does Bama have like 9 4 or 5-Star RBs on their roster now?

Dumb going to Bama. they sign 4 RB's a year and 3 leave each year. Everyone remember Dee Hart? He was at Colorado St Last year.

You're the second person that has brought this up and I still don't see how this matters. The kid committed to Hoke and changed his mind when Hoke was canned. He is a child and made a stupid comment, now he's considering his options. If anyone looks bad in this situation it's OSU, who's still recruiting the kid in spite of the fact that he made derogatory comments about their program.

It's not exactly breaking news that teenage CHILDREN are flakes. It's also understandable that a kid would reconsider his options when he making a major decision that's going to shape the rest of his life.

Pretty sure he decommitted when we were in season and struggling. I'd prefer kids who aren't fair weather.

These "kids" are going to have moments where they run their mouths and say things that maybe they look back on and think they shouldn't have, like Harris' comment about not respecting OSU people or Harbaugh's guarantee of victory over OSU and trip to Pasadena.

But actions have consequences.

That's all good and well, except for the fact that they're making a life altering decision and when the writing is on the wall that the guy you wanted to play for will no longer be coaching the school that he's coaching, you can't blame the kid for exploring other options. If s few guys that Durkin had been recruiting flipped to Michigan I doubt you'd be lamenting the fact that they weren't always committed to Michigan.

We're all fans that used to pretend to be Michigan greats in the back yard. I wore no. 2 in everything because I idolized Charles Woodson. Nearly drone on this board grew up dreaming of playing for Michigan because to is it was about bring a part of the tradition that we loved. The bottom line is, these kids are motivated by the drive to get to the NFL and they're going go to whichever school they think will get them drafted the highest. I couldn't fathom even considering another school if I had a Michigan offer when I was growing up, but then again, I wasn't very good at football so I never had to worry about it.

These "kids" are going to have moments where they run their mouths ...

This really shouldn't be a surprise, nor should it be held against them indefinitely. These High School kids are not the only people that do it.

Adults... "Mature" adults do it everyday.
Hell, AT LEAST half of the regulars on this board have said shit they shouldn't have said at some point.

Give them a break. With the coaching instability we had here, you can't blame them for looking out for their own best interest either. The great ones have NFL on their minds after all. We just made a complete 180 as far as NFL pipelines go. Just get the talent in here.

Harbaugh's first weekend of visits. Details from Sam Webb:

Below are the expected visitors for Jim Harbaugh's first official visit weekend.

Jan 16 weekend (Home basketball game vs. Northwestern)

-- 2015 TE Chris Clark 6-6/250 Avon CT (Old Farms). Scout300 #23. *offer. The once-committed TE now says he'll visit U-M on the Jan. 16 weekend.

-- 2015 CB Damon Arnette 6-1/185 Ft. Lauderdale FL (St.Thomas Aquinas). *offer. South Carolina commit. Scout300 #105.

-- 2015 LB Roquan Smith 6-1/210 Montezuma GA. Scout300 #67. *offer. He's visited USC (they're out) and Georgia, and also visits ASU and UCLA on the last 2 weekends in January.

-- 2015 DE Shelton Johnson 6-5/220 Delray Beach FL (Atlantic). *offer, visiting this weekend. He'll also visit Miami and FSU, and VAT is in it for him as well.-- Also commits Tyree Kinnel, Andrew David.

Jan 19 visit (mid-week)
-- 2015 DB Iman Marshall 6-1/195 Long Beach CA (Poly). *offer. Scout300 #11. He'll visit Florida State (Jan. 16) and then head straight from there to Ann Arbor. He'll also visit LSU (Jan. 23) and Oregon (Jan. 30). USC remains the team to beat.

Link to full article.

It is a huge plus that Harbaugh can point to his prior college coaching and show these kids that he has won in college and been able to develop talent that feeds to the NFL. A pure NFL background would not be as solid, IMO, as these kids want to trust their coach will get them to the NFL. Harbaugh as that in spades now, so while he's the "new" coach at UM, he has great examples and experiences to draw from. I'm hopeful he can land 3 of these kids listed at a minimum, in part because their positions will be very open to competition and if the kid is good they will at least get good playing time, potentially even start if they deserve to.

It is a huge plus that Harbaugh can point to his prior college coaching and show these kids that he has won in college and been able to develop talent that feeds to the NFL. A pure NFL background would not be as solid, IMO, as these kids want to trust their coach will get them to the NFL. Harbaugh as that in spades now, so while he's the "new" coach at UM, he has great examples and experiences to draw from. I'm hopeful he can land 3 of these kids listed at a minimum, in part because their positions will be very open to competition and if the kid is good they will at least get good playing time, potentially even start if they deserve to.

I'm hoping we bring Clark back and pick up Roquan Smith and Shelton Johnson. We need Johnson for DE depth. The roster has a lot of DE/DT tweeners right now.

Iman Marshall would obviously be an amazing get for Harbaugh, but everyone is pointing to USC for him.

i agree with what you posted. I'm good with them potentially getting Ty Jr instead of Clark though, if that were to happen. I'm pretty sure Butt will be the starting TE next year regardless, so I'm not overly concerned with TE for the upcoming year.

my top 3 would be Smith, Johnson, and Marshall. i actually believe Harbaugh could make that a reality too. i won't complain if he doesn't, but i have hope that he will. Marshall seems to me to be in love with the spotlight. I'd go in and ask him how much spotlight shines on USC CBs? How much potential is there to have it shine on UM CBs? You want to be the best? You want that spotlight? If you are really the best, at UM you will be compared to CW and will wear the #2 jersey. There is no brighter spotlight for CBs in college football. Period. And alongside Peppers, UM will become an NFL CB factory.

I think Marshall would be a huge get especially with how Durbin runs his defense. I watched the Florida bowl game and he loves his corners to be super aggressive and attacking. If Peppers is healthy he should really enjoy the new D.

I would like Clark as well and I think he will but I do think we can get a lower rated TE and the offense will be just as good. Michigan has always been known for RB's and TE's going to the NFL. It will be like that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back