Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official MSU vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

Just saying, Dantonio took a team that was consistently a bottom half team to one going to playoffs and winning rose bowls. MSU is not a football school and I doubt anyone with any name recognition (outside of Narduzzi maybe?) Is lining up for the job. Dantonio had a ton of respect from a lot of the country. Losing him sets your school back half a decade at minimum. On the other hand, I fully expect your team to be back in the top very soon.

Not talking shit. Just being real.

im also not talking shit. Dantonio has had 3 horrible seasons in the last 4 and even the 10 win season in '17 wasnt a great team - they easily could have been 7-5 or worse that year. Harbaugh has had almost nothing to do with us being 2-3 against uofm - the best team he's beaten was 7-6 and we are 14-20 in the years we've lost to uofm. Everyone has beaten us, these teams would lose to Hoke and Rich Rod teams.

everyone raves about the run defense but the scheme is outdated - you cant just stop the run and expect to be successful, even in the B1G. and we dont have the athletes for man coverage and being blitz happy. Our backfield cant stop teams on 3rd and 10+ when they know its a passing down, so who cares if we hold illionois to 60 yards rushing? or anyone else for that matter. i know there are a handful of idiots here who automatically take the other side of anything i post but anyone who blames lewerke for illinois is an idiot. it's painfully obvious the o-line, receivers, defensive backfield and coaches are all bigger problems than our qb. the oline being the biggest by far. they can neither recruit or develop talent. his best oline kid was a walkon that he didnt even recruit - the kid's dad approached MSU w/ his films and he was already betr than 90% of our veteran lineman.

State has been bad on both sides of the ball for 4 years. Dantonio hasn't given any indication that he knows what the problems are or how to fix then. Firing him will not set this team back any meaningfulampunt from where it is now.

Last edited:
Just saying, Dantonio took a team that was consistently a bottom half team to one going to playoffs and winning rose bowls. MSU is not a football school and I doubt anyone with any name recognition (outside of Narduzzi maybe?) Is lining up for the job. Dantonio had a ton of respect from a lot of the country. Losing him sets your school back half a decade at minimum. On the other hand, I fully expect your team to be back in the top very soon.

Not talking shit. Just being real.

MSU is not going to be back in the top any time soon. You're not paying attention if you believe this.

It's crazy we had more passing yards than '04, a triple overtime win, where we had to come back from a 17 pt 4th Q deficit

but their pass D is terrible. and when a team remains stubbornly determined to stop the run despite getting shredded through the air, you just take what you can get.

And I was seeing that, also. They kept stacking the box with 7 and 8 guys. We started using outside plays and slants to Ronnie Bell. That 3rd and 20 to McKeon was fucking awesome, though. Got 27 and soon after made it a blowout.

From chengelis

Harbaugh wanted Shea to keep the ball after the game. "He said, ?I?ve got another plan.? I go, ?What?? He said, ?You?ll see,? and he came over and gave me the ball. That was neat." JH in the locker room then put the ball in Patterson's backpack. Called it a "gem" QB performance

Don Antonini is a man of respect. Not a pezzanovante.

johnlsmith-slapself.gif

"I got slapped!!"

Really impressed how Michigan ran against ND and then switched it up to throw against MSU. Way too often in the past, you'd see Michigan just play the same way against everyone. They took what the defenses were giving them.

That 98 yard drive was a thing of beauty. It looked like it was downed at the 1. I told my buddy that it's time for a 99 yard drive. 98 is still pretty good.

That penalty on Black for flexing with the ball was ridiculous.

MSU was getting some strange spots. They'd get stopped at the line, but the refs would often give them 1 yard. One time, it happened 2 plays in a row, but MSU got a false start to set things right.

Was MSU defeated with dignity?

I wonder if Mark had a lot of personal satisfaction on Saturday in Ann Arbor.

That throw to Cornelius was a thing of beauty.

MSU gave up 44 to Michigan this year and MSU is losing a lot of players on that D. Next year will be very interesting.

Michigan punted on their first possession. Did they punt after that?

Gus Johnson was great, but Joel Klatt sucked

The commercial breaks in the first half were killer. FOX is horrible.

We only punted once, on that first possession.

It could've been zero times, but MSU got away with a couple PIs early.

the calls more or less evened out, although, agree the Flexing call was bullshit.

Gus Johnson was great, but Joel Klatt sucked

The commercial breaks in the first half were killer. FOX is horrible.

They drag out the noon game in hopes of keeping folks from switching to other networks at 3:30 since their second game doesn't start until 4:00.

I just read that Michigan has never beaten both NDSucks and MSU by 30 in the same year. Shea shared offensive player of the week with Jonathan Taylor for the week. It was the first time a Michigan offensive player had the honor since Higdon and Evans shared it in 2017.

Also liked what Jim said about the offenses progression this year "you can't plant potatoes today and expect to have potato salad tomorrow".

If they manage to beat OSU, which I truly believe they can, this will be the ultimate "what if" year. But it could also be the year that you look at and say it was the turning point. I'm just glad the team is getting better at this point in the year rather than getting worse like last year.

MSU is not going to be back in the top any time soon. You're not paying attention if you believe this.

LOL, I agree... unless all of the following four things happen between now and next September:

1) Jim Harbaugh & Warde Manuel both retire, and Schlissel brings back Bill Martin who re-hires RichRod

2) Penn State has another major sex scandal that results in James Franklin being forced out, the school receiving NCAA penalties, and a mass exodus of talent

3) Ohio State has another major NCAA scandal that results in Day being pushed out and penalties that hurt recruiting for a couple seasons.

AND

4) Indiana goes back to being bad, and Maryland And Rutgers stay bad

only then will MSU be "back on top soon."

Their fans are only setting themselves up for disappointment by believing otherwise.

LOL, I agree... unless all of the following four things happen between now and next September:

1) Jim Harbaugh & Warde Manuel both retire, and Schlissel brings back Bill Martin who re-hires RichRod

2) Penn State has another major sex scandal that results in James Franklin being forced out, the school receiving NCAA penalties, and a mass exodus of talent

3) Ohio State has another major NCAA scandal that results in Day being pushed out and penalties that hurt recruiting for a couple seasons.

AND

4) Indiana goes back to being bad, and Maryland And Rutgers stay bad

only then will MSU be "back on top soon."

Their fans are only setting themselves up for disappointment by believing otherwise.

They have a great recruiting class coming in next year. Ranked 10th in the conference lol.

yeah, i was referring to their recruiting totally tanking. I know they made it before with some 2 stars that were disrespected, but I don't see that happening again.

Back