Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official MSU vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

They have a great recruiting class coming in next year. Ranked 10th in the conference lol.

it's really bizarre, because Dantonio is one of the all-time coaching greats! >:D

things just went sideways for MSU for no reason!

His success is not just like a product of being the only "consistently average" coach during a time when his four biggest competitors had their programs blown up through various bad decisions or misfortune.

It's like getting to play beer pong when all the other guys are already hammered!

apparently, State looked so bad Saturday, that this Rutgers beat writer feels like they have a chance (link)

oh man, if Dantonio loses to Rutgers...

it's really bizarre, because Dantonio is one of the all-time coaching greats! >:D

things just went sideways for MSU for no reason!

His success is not just like a product of being the only "consistently average" coach during a time when his four biggest competitors had their programs blown up through various bad decisions or misfortune.

It's like getting to play beer pong when all the other guys are already hammered!

who is the 4th? It's really not even 3 unless you consider PSU, but given they've been in the league for more than 25 years and won 2 championships, one of which was 25 years ago, it's a bit of a stretch to say they belong in that group.

As for OSU, they didn't have their program blown up when we were winning championships. We didn't play them in 2009 or 2010 but we had a losing record in 2009 (still beat uofm that year though) so how much did that really help? From 2011 to 2015 we were 3-2 against the Buckeyes - for two of those wins, the Buckeyes were undefeated and ranked #2 and #3 in the nation. They finished those years ranked 10th (only 2 losses) and 4th (1 total loss).

So Dantonio has won 3 B1G championships and for 2 of them he beat #2 or #3 ranked OSU teams late in the season - one of them at Columbus the week before they went to ann arbor and won by 29. The other in the B1G championship game (you've heard of that game, right?) coincidentally, they won in ann arbor that year too. Also, during that stretch, in the 2 years they beat us they finished ranked 2nd and 4th nationally. So I'd say no, their program wasn't "blown up." History and facts never were your strong suit, were they?

So really, at best it's 2, not 4 of our competitors that had their programs "blown up" - but really mostly just ufom. What you really have to wonder is whether uofm's "comeback" is a function of what's happening in East Lansing and to a lesser extent what happened in Happy Valley. Harbaugh hardly deserves credit for the wins - the combined record of the MSU teams Harbaugh has beaten is 14-20. Obviously, he's not winning championships so his "success" is being better than Rich Rod or Hoke, which understandably has you very giddy. but you don't have to look too hard to see his elevating uofm to upper 2nd tier status in the B1G is "just like a product of being a "consistently average" coach during a time when" at least half his competition for 2nd place has fallen on hard times.

Last edited:
who is the 4th? It's really not even 3 unless you consider PSU, but given they've been in the league for more than 25 years and won 2 championships, one of which was 25 years ago, it's a bit of a stretch to say they belong in that group.

As for OSU, they didn't have their program blown up when we were winning championships. We didn't play them in 2009 or 2010 but we had a losing record in 2009 (still beat uofm that year though) so how much did that really help? From 2011 to 2015 we were 3-2 against the Buckeyes - for two of those wins, the Buckeyes were undefeated and ranked #2 and #3 in the nation. They finished those years ranked 10th (only 2 losses) and 4th (1 total loss).

So Dantonio has won 3 B1G championships and for 2 of them he beat #2 or #3 ranked OSU teams late in the season - one of them at Columbus the week before they went to ann arbor and won by 29. The other in the B1G championship game (you've heard of that game, right?) coincidentally, they won in ann arbor that year too. Also, during that stretch, in the 2 years they beat us they finished ranked 2nd and 4th nationally. So I'd say no, their program wasn't "blown up." History and facts never were your strong suit, were they?

So really, at best it's 2 (but really mostly just ufom), not 4 of our competitors that had their programs "blown up." If facts matter, what you really have to wonder is whether uofm's "comeback" is a function of what's happening in East Lansing and to a lesser extent what happened in Happy Valley. Harbaugh hardly deserves credit for the wins - the combined record of the MSU teams Harbaugh has beaten is 14-20 which further underscores the criticism that he can't beat good teams. Obviously, he's not winning championships but right now, it looks like his elevating uofm to upper 2nd tier status in the B1G is just like a product of being a "consistently average" coach during a time when at least half his competition for 2nd place has fallen on hard times.

LOL!

Wrong.

LOL!

Wrong.

Which of those facts are wrong? None, because they're facts. Who is the 4th team? Which good teams is Harbaugh beating? Tell me how OSU wasn't a good team when MSU beat them and won 2 Championships.

Harbaugh's "success" thus far is being better than Rich Rod or Hoke, that's a fact - one which understandably has you very giddy but you don't have to look too hard to see he's not beating good teams. That's just another fact.

Last edited:
I?m waiting for the answer myself.

I?m thinking maybe the CMU Chippewas?

I doubt it, but who knows, he seems to be including PSU and the Chippewas have in the hunt for a B1G title almost as frequently as them and they did beat one of Dantonio's teams, so maybe.

I'm pretty sure it's Wisconsin but he's wrong about them too -Wisconsin was competing for B1G titles along with us before the conference split and we played them in the first ever B1G Championship game and they've played in more B1G championship games (5 of 8) than anyone. They won the first two before we won the third and they played in the one before and the two after we won our last B1G Championship game - pretty hard to say they were "blowing up"

Last edited:
Yeah. I must say that I don't know who Champ's 4th team is

Michigan had to replace a legendary, national championship winning coach that decided to retire. No one is feeling sorry for them and they don't deserve any sympathy, because they chose two knuckleheads in a row after that.

PSU had to replace a legendary, national championship winning coach that had to retire. No one is feeling sorry for them and they don't deserve any sympathy, because that coach helped cover up years of child molestation. It took a few years for Franklin to get things in gear.

I guess OSU, because they had to replace a legendary, national championship winning coach that had to retire. No one is feeling sorry for them and they don't deserve any sympathy, because that coach was a cheat that got caught. They had a down year with Fickell and then hired Meyer. It could be said that it took him a few years to get things up to the level of the last couple of years and this year.

MSU had Bobby Williams and then John L Smith. Then MSU hired Mike Dantorinio. He is a great coach that built up that program from nothing. Now MSU still has Mike Dantorinio.

Why would OSU be one? Even if it took him a few years other than in 2010, they were a national power when we were competing for B1G championships. And it can't be said that it took him a few years unless unless you think going 12-0, 12-2 and 14-1, undefeated in conference with a national championship in his first three years, not quite "up to the level of the last couple of years." Holy shit that was a really dumb thing to say - it's almost impossible to be more wrong than you were there.

So it's at best three, clearly uofm is one, and as far as we can tell, they're just becoming OK. So who are the other two? Clearly not Wisconsin, they the first 2 B1G titles (beating us for one of them) then Dantonio won his first and since then 2 more while Wisco has played in another 3 B1G championship games - so it's not them.

So now we're down to 2, and we've already established that uofm is clearly one of them since we know they've just climbed up from the basement to consistent mediocrity. That leaves PSU, which I suppose I could agree with since they have a national reputation from their Independent days, but they haven't been consistently competitive enough to say Dantonio's success was due to their troubles.

Michigan under Harbaugh has won 46 games in the last 5 years and this year isn't over. That's a pretty good winning %. True, they haven't won any titles and they haven't beaten OSU, but MSU and quite a few other programs sure would like to have won that many games over the last 5 years.

Now, since that is only mediocre, surely that alone hasn't caused MSU to have fallen on hard times. Please enlighten us to why this has happened. They still have their great coach that built their program from nothing.

I didn't really agree on Ohio State. I was just trying to guess at MCHamp's logic for including them.

Why would OSU be one? Even if it took him a few years other than in 2010, they were a national power when we were competing for B1G championships.

And NO, it can't be said that it took him a few years unless you think going 12-0, 12-2 and 14-1, 24-0 in conference WITH a national championship in his first three years, is not quite "up to the level of the last couple of years." Holy shit that was a really dumb thing to say - it's almost impossible to be more wrong than you were there. In 7 years, Meyer lost 4 B1G games - half of them to MSU and both of those when he was undefeated and ranked in the top 3 nationally, neither one a home game for MSU AND both those games happened to be years Dantonio won the B1G title. I'd say they were competitive when Dantonio was winning B1G titles.

So it's at best three, clearly uofm is one, and as far as we can tell, they're just becoming OK. So who are the other two? Clearly not Wisconsin, they won the first 2 B1G titles (beating us for one of them) then Dantonio won his first and since then 2 more while Wisco has played in another 3 B1G championship games - so it's not them.

So now we're down to 2, and we've already established that uofm is clearly one of them since we know they've just climbed up from the basement to consistent mediocrity. That leaves PSU, which I suppose I could agree with since they have a national reputation from their Independent days, but they haven't been consistently competitive enough to say Dantonio's success was due to their troubles.

No matter how you look at it, it's not 4. It's at best 2 - 1 definitely (uofm) and 1 maybe.

As evidenced by your numerous edits, you're not nearly as smart as you try to pass yourself off as. You're like a guy using google to play trivia at the bar and then telling the others in the room how stupid they are for not getting the answer. You google all of your "intelligence." Good job.

Now answer the question.

Yeah. I must say that I don't know who Champ's 4th team is

Michigan had to replace a legendary, national championship winning coach that decided to retire. No one is feeling sorry for them and they don't deserve any sympathy, because they chose two knuckleheads in a row after that.

PSU had to replace a legendary, national championship winning coach that had to retire. No one is feeling sorry for them and they don't deserve any sympathy, because that coach helped cover up years of child molestation. It took a few years for Franklin to get things in gear.

I guess OSU, because they had to replace a legendary, national championship winning coach that had to retire. No one is feeling sorry for them and they don't deserve any sympathy, because that coach was a cheat that got caught. They had a down year with Fickell and then hired Meyer. It could be said that it took him a few years to get things up to the level of the last couple of years and this year.

MSU had Bobby Williams and then John L Smith. Then MSU hired Mike Dantorinio. He is a great coach that built up that program from nothing. Now MSU still has Mike Dantorinio.

Why would OSU be one? Even if it took him a few years other than in 2010, they were a national power when we were competing for B1G championships.

And NO, it can't be said that it took him a few years unless you think going 12-0, 12-2 and 14-1, 24-0 in conference WITH a national championship in his first three years, is not quite "up to the level of the last couple of years." Holy shit that was a really dumb thing to say - it's almost impossible to be more wrong than you were there. In 7 years, Meyer lost 4 B1G games - half of them to MSU and both of those when he was undefeated and ranked in the top 3 nationally, neither one a home game for MSU AND both those games happened to be years Dantonio won the B1G title. I think it's fair to say OSU was competitive when Dantonio was winning B1G titles.

So it's at best three, clearly uofm is one, and as far as we can tell, they're just becoming OK. So who are the other two? Clearly not Wisconsin, they won the first 2 B1G titles (beating us for one of them) then Dantonio won his first and since then 2 more while Wisco has played in another 3 B1G championship games - so it's not them.

No matter how you look at it, it's not 4 or even 3. It's at best 2 - 1 definitely (uofm) and 1 maybe.

Repeating yourself now? Neat

So you've debunked Mchamp's theory. Yet you don't post an alternate explanation.

As evidenced by your numerous edits, you're not nearly as smart as you try to pass yourself off as. You're like a guy using google to play trivia at the bar and then telling the others in the room how stupid they are for not getting the answer. You google all of your "intelligence." Good job.

Now answer the question.

That's the best you can do? Criticize me for editing and change the subject. You answer the question - what are the 4 teams? Don't change the subject, answer the question.

And when you're done, answer this question - how come Harbaugh didn't win any B1G or National Championships while he was rebuilding, like Meyer did?

That's the best you can do? Criticize me for editing and change the subject. You answer the question - what are the 4 teams? Don't change the subject, answer the question.

And when you're done, answer this question - how come Harbaugh didn't win any B1G or National Championships while he was rebuilding, like Meyer did?

The criticism is that you attack others for not knowing stuff. Make posts without the essential information, because you don't know it. Then you go and Google it and come back and try to sound smart.

No one is doubting that Meyer took over a program in much better shape than Harbaugh did.

Back