Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

What's the set up? Was there some big "announcement" today?

I didn't mean someone was intentionally trying to set us up. Just saying that this whole situation feels too good to be true, you know the saying.

And as far as sports fans go, I'm pretty jaded. Being a lifelong Reds, Bengals and (more recently at least) Michigan fan will do that to you.

Ugh. This is too much. We're being set up for another heartbreak.

be-sure-to-drink-your-ovaltine-text-300x188.jpg

ovaltine.jpg

Just sit back and let this thing play out. There's no point in going over and getting worked up about rumors or whatever else is happening.

If Harbaugh doesn't take the job in a couple of weeks, they'll have their guy in a few days after that.

Just sit back and let this thing play out. There's no point in going over and getting worked up about rumors or whatever else is happening.

If Harbaugh doesn't take the job in a couple of weeks, they'll have their guy in a few days after that.

I know. I just don't want them to miss out on a candidate that may otherwise be the best fit because they're waiting on Jim to say no. I'd hope that he would have given them a firm answer either way (and I believe he has). At this point it's got to be either Jim or he has been asked to keep quiet the fact that he said no to avoid this looking as bungled as it has the past two times.

I know. I just don't want them to miss out on a candidate that may otherwise be the best fit because they're waiting on Jim to say no. I'd hope that he would have given them a firm answer either way (and I believe he has). At this point it's got to be either Jim or he has been asked to keep quiet the fact that he said no to avoid this looking as bungled as it has the past two times.

I think both sides would agree that nothing official is done until everyone's season is over... everything above the board, all obligations fulfilled. For San Francisco, that will be December 28th.

The only thing that would or could accelerate that, would be if the 49ers fired Harbaugh before the season is over, or maybe if they publicly announced he wouldn't be returning.

so we might as well relax, ignore the rumor mills, and enjoy the next 12 days.

I would like to think that Harbaugh has enough respect for his old school that he wouldn't drag them along for so many weeks. He would have told them by now that he wasn't interested and that you guys need to move on with the search.

The big Jeff Moss thing was that some anonymous source said Brandstatter said he expects Harbaugh to take the job. Big whoop. Brandstatter even replied.

Jim Brandstatter @brandymancan ? 14m 14 minutes ago
Just to be clear, I am NOT anyone's source in M coach search, & I am NOT telling anyone Harbaugh is the guy. Rumors to contrary are false.

Comment board on MGoBlog is going a little bonkers though.

If it is the whole "band getting together" tweet they're talking about, the original post included "We're on a mission from Bo."

so... at some point Harbaugh and Moeller will have to go to a restaurant and say to patrons "How much for dee women?" in order to get a crucial staff member on board?

hqdefault.jpg

I was thinking a more serious film analogy would be Kambei recruiting his band of samurai to defend the village in The Seven Samurai:
Seven+Samurai+9.jpg

...and in the end, when the village is saved, but half of them are dead, instead of the line "with their land, the farmers are the victors, not us." Harbaugh would say "with the winningest football program, the fans are the victors, not us." Except they wouldn't be half dead, they'd all be multi-millionaires, heading to a retirement community in Clearwater, FL.

...and in the end, when the village is saved, but half of them are dead, instead of the line "with their land, the farmers are the victors, not us." Harbaugh would say "with the winningest football program, the fans are the victors, not us." Except they wouldn't be half dead, they'd all be multi-millionaires, heading to a retirement community in Clearwater, FL.

Yeah, we're not exactly scraping rice off the floor.

Meanwhile, Sam Webb is tweeting not to fall for the banana in the tailpipe regarding Miles. I like this (not the idea of Mile obviously). All coaching rumors should involve movie quotes from here on out.

Last edited:
Ryan Ermanni is pounding his fist that this search won't get past Les Miles. I would have to agree with that.

There's no deal done, I don't even think Jim knows where he's going yet.

He's wise to let the season play out and have the teams trip over themselves to make offers.

Is the Detroit Sports Rags saying they're validating this independently? (I guess they're saying they are) 'cause this didn't come from MGoBlog. It came from some random poster on "TheVictors" which is some boards2go message board and they took it down shortly after it appeared.

...and with regards to the whole, Harbaugh just needs to dot the i's? The next line was "None of it is from a source I would consider rock solid, and all of it comes with an ominous "barring a last second change of heart" disclaimer. Please remain calm."

no relation.

Brian from MGoBlog does say he's got one 2nd hand source that's been right in the past that says Michigan is the longshot in a pool of NFL contenders.

Just keep your expectations down. Assume Michigan won't be hiring Jim Harbaugh. And if he does come here, you can be super excited about it.

But just use Miles as your baseline. I still think he ends up as the coach.

Back