Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

at this point, who besides Herb Enmeyer isn't on that "list" ...? LOL

so per Sam Webb, Michigan has reached out to Les Miles.

2Ya9X84.gif

I guess I already assumed this happened (in some form) and don't think it changes much of anything. There are so many possible new coaches in the big picture I just figured Les was in the mix...

And as I said in the other thread, it perhaps just puts a little more urgency into the situation for the other candidates who are still mulling over their options..

Last edited:
I am glad some people can get excited for Les... He just does not excite me for
some reason...

He'd be a bit of a letdown but if you can't have either Harbaugh I'll take Les. This program needs to make a splash and to generate some excitement. Les would do that and if he can carry the torch and pass it to someone long term in 5-6 years ready to compete for national championships again, which I think he can, I can live with it.

He's 61. We do not need to go through another coaching change in 5 years. Stability is desperately needed.

I agree that another coaching change wouldn't be ideal, I have zero confidence in some of these other candidates. In other words, I'd rather know that I have another change coming and have a guy that can get the program back to where it belongs than roll the dice on a lesser guy just because IF he succeeds he's young enough to stick around.

I just saw another story saying he was offered the job and turned it down. Sorry, but I'm not buying any of it.

Agreed and I'm getting tired of the sloppy journalism. Headline reads, "Cutcliffe to Michigan?" and then the article says he may have been contacted by UM. Then Duke says UM has NOT been in contact with him. Then some NFL hack says he "turned down Michigan."

I like how Sam Webb at GBW simply took control of his outlet after he and his own guys began reporting contradictory stories.

Ugh.

Agreed and I'm getting tired of the sloppy journalism. Headline reads, "Cutcliffe to Michigan?" and then the article says he may have been contacted by UM. Then Duke says UM has NOT been in contact with him. Then some NFL hack says he "turned down Michigan."

I like how Sam Webb at GBW simply took control of his outlet after he and his own guys began reporting contradictory stories.

Ugh.

I thought the Freep article on Cutcliffe was founded on something more than the NFL hack you mention, but... I just checked, and no, it's not.

The Freep just reported we hired the same PR firm that represented Penn St., on a one -off PR consulting gig. I... don't know. Doesn't appear to be related to the coaching search, just an overall image gut check, I guess.

I hope they said to Hackett "Look, I know things are rough right now, but... at least you're not Penn State."

Chris Mortensen - @TomVH: RT @mortreport Spoke to Duke’s David Cutcliffe. He hasn’t talked to Michigan nor has Duke AD Kevin White. No job offered to turn down.”

we hired the same PR firm that represented Penn St., on a one -off PR consulting gig.

Well that's a little bit terrifying. What happened at Michigan where we think we need their experience?

edit: oh...Brandon stuff plus the concussions. I wonder why they think Penn St is an example of a place handling it well.

Last edited:
People think a search firm contacting coaches for their interest is an offer...

Stupid

"Do you have any interest in the UM football head coaching position?"

"Hey everyone!! They just offered coach X a job!!!"

very stupid

LOL ....reminds me of a guy I work with. He kept talking about all these job offers he was getting and declining and finally a couple of us said, "you know dude, that same headhunter has called all of us with the same job and it's not an offer, just to see if you'd be interested."

You have to actually interview and be offered to decline ...an offer.

EXACTLY WHAT I SAID REGARDING MILES --

"An alternate possibility: Hackett made a very public overture to Miles—every newspaper and site had it yesterday, and prominently—in an effort to spur Harbaugh to a decision. That doesn't necessarily mean Miles isn't a legit candidate. The nature of the contact when everything else is murky and disputed is a clear signal to Harbaugh, though."

Back