Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

so tired of the RR revisionism.

notice how on Friday it wasn't 36 and drizzling in Tucson?

I will be in Vegas next weekend and can't wait to bet on the PAC-12 Title game!

so tired of the RR revisionism.

notice how on Friday it wasn't 36 and drizzling in Tucson?

I will be in Vegas next weekend and can't wait to bet on the PAC-12 Title game!

Not everything that happened under RR was RR's fault. But a lot of it was. Enough to safely say he was a bad fit for Michigan. I think Three and Out had a list of 7 or 9 things that were his fault that led to his firing as much as anything that was out of his control.

Is hoke fired yet or what? This recruiting trip has got me nervous he shouldn't be going on it if he's not gonna be the coach next year.

Not everything that happened under RR was RR's fault. But a lot of it was. Enough to safely say he was a bad fit for Michigan. I think Three and Out had a list of 7 or 9 things that were his fault that led to his firing as much as anything that was out of his control.

I'm not even talking about that, though - the 'bad fit' thing sounds qualitative and as if it means he wasn't a 'Michigan man.' I think there was proof on the field that there were problems that people are now conveninetly overlooking. And while AZ this year is a great story, it's not unlike the successes he had at WVU here and there, either.

It's absolutely disrespectful to Hoke to not tell him what is happening, and actually let him and his staff go out and continue to recruit. Just let him go now and end the charade.

I'm not even talking about that, though - the 'bad fit' thing sounds qualitative and as if it means he wasn't a 'Michigan man.' I think there was proof on the field that there were problems that people are now conveninetly overlooking. And while AZ this year is a great story, it's not unlike the successes he had at WVU here and there, either.

That's true. "Bad fit" is probably a phrase that should be avoided for the sake of clarity.

I wouldn't hang as much on the "Michigan Man" phrase as some people do. But to the degree there wasn't a "cultural fit", I think it has more to do with personal relationships. He burned a lot of bridges when he was 1st hired the way he interviewed the previous staff, making them stand in the hallway all day, then not hiring them. ...and now we know some of it was Brandon's fault too. The former players not feeling welcome, having to pay for tickets when they get invited to games, not having the access they used to have.

More importantly, I don't think he was a strong enough leader. He lost the team at the end.

Bacon's odds from Sportscenter 2 minutes ago: 51% Jim Harbaugh, 25% Les Miles, 24% someone else.

(I'll believe Harbaugh when I see it.)

Last edited:
hes got a year left on his contract....what if reports are true that the 9ers are trying to shop him? He doesn't have an obligation to fulfill the contract does he? The only thing I can refer to is when saban left Miami but im not certain if he had some sort of out clause in his contract or not. Whats harbaughs contract like?

hes got a year left on his contract....what if reports are true that the 9ers are trying to shop him? He doesn't have an obligation to fulfill the contract does he? The only thing I can refer to is when saban left Miami but im not certain if he had some sort of out clause in his contract or not. Whats harbaughs contract like?

I thought it was odd too, though I don't think a team would (or has) traded for a coach that didn't expressly want to be there. The two recent examples in the NBA (Doc Rivers to the Clips and Jason Kidd to the Bucks) were basically orchestrated by the coaches themselves.

Harbaugh will leverage his firing (because from all sources that's what both parties want right?) and then go to a team of his choosing. Unless the 9ers are willing to accept something relatively small for him (3rd and/or 4th rounders -- why would a team give up a ton for him?).

I thought it was odd too, though I don't think a team would (or has) traded for a coach that didn't expressly want to be there. The two recent examples in the NBA (Doc Rivers to the Clips and Jason Kidd to the Bucks) were basically orchestrated by the coaches themselves.

Harbaugh will leverage his firing (because from all sources that's what both parties want right?) and then go to a team of his choosing. Unless the 9ers are willing to accept something relatively small for him (3rd and/or 4th rounders -- why would a team give up a ton for him?).

cause its the raiders lol....and they piss away draft picks all the time.

I would have to think that Harbaugh could simply resign if he were traded to the Jets or Raiders, then accept a contract to coach at UM or any other college. I don't think an NFL coach can resign and then sign with another NFL team until his contract expired, but I don't see how the NFL could keep him from working in a non NFL capacity.

Unless I'm wrong, I think it's like with any non-coaching job. If Jim Harbaugh wanted to retire from the 49ers today to work for the American Cancer Society, the NFL has no authority to stop a man from working in that capacity.

I would have to think that Harbaugh could simply resign if he were traded to the Jets or Raiders, then accept a contract to coach at UM or any other college. I don't think an NFL coach can resign and then sign with another NFL team until his contract expired, but I don't see how the NFL could keep him from working in a non NFL capacity.

Unless I'm wrong, I think it's like with any non-coaching job. If Jim Harbaugh wanted to retire from the 49ers today to work for the American Cancer Society, the NFL has no authority to stop a man from working in that capacity.

unless it is written into his contract that he can't coach in the NFL or college until his contract is up. He came from the college ranks...if there are clauses that he can't coach in the NFL why not put one in that he can't coach in college?

unless it is written into his contract that he can't coach in the NFL or college until his contract is up. He came from the college ranks...if there are clauses that he can't coach in the NFL why not put one in that he can't coach in college?

I don't think it's a clause in his specific contract, but rather an NFL regulation of some sort.

Otherwise, coaches could resign and switch teams on a whim. It's why players can't "retire" with 2 years left on their deals, wait two weeks, then come out of retirement and be free agents. If the player decided to do that, they'd only be able to play for the team for whom they are currently under contract. If a coach resigned from a job with 2 years left on their contracts, they couldn't coach in the NFL for any other team until that contract expired or their team released them from the contract.

It is possible that the 49ers demanded a clause in his deal that forbids him from coaching at any college/university, but I haven't heard of that for an NFL coach.

BTW: Hugh Freeze "Les Milesed" Florida, and used them to get a new deal/extension from Ole Miss.

I don't think it's a clause in his specific contract, but rather an NFL regulation of some sort.

Otherwise, coaches could resign and switch teams on a whim. It's why players can't "retire" with 2 years left on their deals, wait two weeks, then come out of retirement and be free agents. If the player decided to do that, they'd only be able to play for the team for whom they are currently under contract. If a coach resigned from a job with 2 years left on their contracts, they couldn't coach in the NFL for any other team until that contract expired or their team released them from the contract.

It is possible that the 49ers demanded a clause in his deal that forbids him from coaching at any college/university, but I haven't heard of that for an NFL coach.

BTW: Hugh Freeze "Les Milesed" Florida, and used them to get a new deal/extension from Ole Miss.

Contacts with players are probably different than those with coaches. Coaches contracts...my guess is anything can be written into those. Just look at college coaches...some have specific language for buy outs for dream jobs, etc.

If I am an NFL team and hire a coach right out of the college ranks I am going to try and put in a clause that says he can't up and quit to go back to college...it would be a reasonable clause IMO.

Contacts with players are probably different than those with coaches. Coaches contracts...my guess is anything can be written into those. Just look at college coaches...some have specific language for buy outs for dream jobs, etc.

If I am an NFL team and hire a coach right out of the college ranks I am going to try and put in a clause that says he can't up and quit to go back to college...it would be a reasonable clause IMO.

Absolutely reasonable. Call it the "Bobby Petrino" clause.

So how did the banquet go?

Does anybody know?

Did anybody play/sing "You Raise Me Up?"

What did Hoke have on his pizza?

Back