Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

Kentucky lost. No bowl game for them.

Tennessee up 7-0 on Vandy...if they lose, no bowl game for them.

Miles' LSU team eliminated from SEC contention 2 weeks ago.

Ole Miss up 7-3 on MSU...no way Mullen interviews for other jobs if team is in playoff.

If I'm Hackett, when the Harbaughs turn down UM (plausible) I'm likely giving the first long look to Butch Jones.

I don't think Todd Graham will even pick up the phone if UM comes calling. When he left Pitt, some of the talk was of his family's aversion to cold weather and how they'd never had to deal with it before.

Though $5 million can buy a lot of warm clothing.

I will be on the anti butch jones wagon so hard if UM hires him.

Thats worse than RR or BH, and until UM wins a Big Ten title and is consistently a top team, I will remain on the wagon!

Only 3 options in mind. Jim, John, Or the River Boat Gambler

Give me Les Miles, Todd Graham, Dan Mullen before Butch Jones.

I went to school at Cincinnati and am a big UC fan. That being said, Butch Jones has never done anything to impress me either at UC or Tennessee. I'm not sure why anyone would be excited about that hire. I'm also not a fan of his demeanor on the sidelines. I'm not saying that I have a problem with a coach getting in someone's face because that is necessary in certain circumstances. However, that's not the way you should handle every situation and that's how he handles every situation.

After the Harbaughs, every candidate is flawed in some way, shape or form.

I keep going back to this. In 2010 UM fired Rich Rodriguez and replaced him with an inferior coach.

In 2014, UM will fire Brady Hoke, but I don't think they'll replace him with an inferior coach.

Whether it's Mark Stoops, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, Les Miles, Greg Schiano, or Chuck Martin, I think it's safe to say we won't have to worry about Michigan firing Brady Hoke and downgrading the quality of the head coach.

This whole looking at a coach based in a few like three years is silly

I think some of the names are premature

Butch nit doing much at tennessee

This whole looking at a coach based in a few like three years is silly

I think some of the names are premature

Butch nit doing much at tennessee

I agree ML. UM needs to find a solid hire. We all want Jim or John, I am sure. If that can't happen, UM needs to find a coach who can right the ship and put a few strong years in before he is gone. Or find a coach at a lower level similar to Jim Tressel. Poaching a coach from a midlevel SEC or B12, Pac 10 school is a waste in my opinion. If UM can't get Jim, the time may be right for Miles. He is on the older side, but still produces winners. He may only have 5 or so years, but that would be enough time for Jim to get his fill of the NFL. That is assuming he fails to reach the expectations at whatever organization he is hired by. Or maybe John has had enough of the NFL by then.

Its all a long shot and nothing is a guarantee. If they can't get one of the Big 3, I say stay the course and fix the internal problems of the program. UM played a respectable game today, and something Hoke and company can build off of. If one of the Big 3 won't come, and the team sucks again, you have to make a change out of necessity. Firing Hoke for another coach who can't make it in the SEC only assures UM will never compete with that conference.

Big 3 or bust!

Last edited:
Michigan needs Jim Harbaugh. They need his insane level of competitiveness. We are fucking worse than Duke in football right now. It's insane that I can say that truthfully.

Last edited:
Michigan needs Jim Harbaugh. They need his insane level of competitiveness. We are fucking worse than Duke in football right now. It's insane that I can say that truthfully.

True but Harbaugh doesn't need Michigan.

That is the sticking point. If he sucked at SF it would be a done deal, but everyone knows the front office has under cut him.

Not only do they need him for the coaching, they need him for the swagger and the buzz that would go along with it. That's why Meyer was such a good hire, recruits see the media buzz and coverage and want to be a part of it.

Not to mention, it'd be nice to see Michigan players and coaches with a little attitude. Instead of staking the field of a team that has dominated you the past 6 years, you go out and kick their asses.

Not only do they need him for the coaching, they need him for the swagger and the buzz that would go along with it. That's why Meyer was such a good hire, recruits see the media buzz and coverage and want to be a part of it.

Not to mention, it'd be nice to see Michigan players and coaches with a little attitude. Instead of staking the field of a team that has dominated you the past 6 years, you go out and kick their asses.

Yep. Michigan football has become so gimmicky. Legends jerseys, stakes, special uniforms for big games. Apparently people forgot Michigan football was about playing good football.

And you FINALLY add something to the UM board.

I'd love to punch you in the face, rip off your head, and take a nice post bargain Mexican restaurant liquid shit down your fucking neck.

But this was funny.
I can respect that. He also wears Oxfords with a tie and jacket which just looks sloppy. He does wear great sunglasses though

I've been harping on what a fool Hoke looks like for a while now.

Seeing that name a lot.

Why the hell would he come to UM?!

Face it, UM is in the same place now they were in 2008, if not lower. They need to try to get...

1. an up and coming coordinator in D1
2. an up and coming FCS head coach
3. a small D1 coach looking for an upgrade.

That's it. You're not getting a guy to give up a HC job in the SEC or NFL to come to Michigan.

Not now. Not anymore.

Question I always had was....why would Nuss come here? Same position on a worse team in a worse division to join a coaching staff that had questionmarks all over it. The only thing I can think of is if he thought (or was told) that hed have a shot to be a successor. Now, with the way the season played out im pretty sure any chance at that was probably eliminated. Just always thought it was odd that he even wanted to come here...

After the Harbaughs, every candidate is flawed in some way, shape or form.

I keep going back to this. In 2010 UM fired Rich Rodriguez and replaced him with an inferior coach.

In 2014, UM will fire Brady Hoke, but I don't think they'll replace him with an inferior coach.

Whether it's Mark Stoops, Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, Les Miles, Greg Schiano, or Chuck Martin, I think it's safe to say we won't have to worry about Michigan firing Brady Hoke and downgrading the quality of the head coach.

Agreed for the most part....but I do worry about the defense regressing. Mattison made some odd calls at times....but I always got the feeling that they were atleast well coached. There was a noticeable difference in better schemes/design with similar players from the RR>Mattison eras.

If it is John Harbaugh I think we probably still see Mattison running the D....not so sure that's a bad thing. Does John Harbaugh>Mattison>Nuss combination change this team much? I think its a little better....I think any harbaugh name helps with recruiting atleast.

Last edited:
They have been reporting all day that the staff is heading out tomorrow recruiting. Dear god why. Just end it now. The longer we wait the worse its gonna get. At least fire Hoke. I just dont understand what we are doing. the longer we wait the worse we look.

Shit, Pelini was fired and he still has a bowl game to coach.

It's obvious he's gone, just spare him and get it over with.

They have been reporting all day that the staff is heading out tomorrow recruiting. Dear god why. Just end it now. The longer we wait the worse its gonna get. At least fire Hoke. I just dont understand what we are doing. the longer we wait the worse we look.

I'm not sure things could go much worse than the search that landed us RR. I'm sure that scenario is in the back of everyone's minds. Having Brady Hoke for one more year, believe it or not, is not the worst thing that can happen to the program. Getting set back another 3-5 years because they hire the wrong coach again is the worst case.

I'm not sure things could go much worse than the search that landed us RR. I'm sure that scenario is in the back of everyone's minds. Having Brady Hoke for one more year, believe it or not, is not the worst thing that can happen to the program. Getting set back another 3-5 years because they hire the wrong coach again is the worst case.

someone else i talked to said the same thing

on the lists i do not want miles or schiano

Back