Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2022 Off Season for FA signings, trades, tender, nontender, Rule 5, to 2023

The stats indicate that Jimenez is the kind of pitcher Harris values, so I expect the return to be of greater value to him.

I just find that JJ has had one good season. Now it?s up to him and Atlanta to prove he is the real deal. So glad we finally have a President that covets guys who get on base..

Last edited:
Man I hope this kid has a good spring and makes the club. I already love his swing.

Man I hope this kid has a good spring and makes the club. I already love his swing.

I'm with you...I hope he ends up being a quality player. That said, I wouldn't get too excited. Most players that are exposed to the rule 5 draft are exposed for a reason other than the team having way too many great players.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/12/08/five-for-friday-53/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

Scott Harris has just gone through his first real test as the head of the Detroit Tigers at the 2022 Winter Meetings. The purpose of this event is to cover a variety of subjects and concerns within baseball. Trades and free agent signings are just one of many priorities.

One has to assume that what we hear about is the tip of the iceberg and that most of what is started and accomplished lays underneath, waiting for its day to be revealed. The free agent signings we witnessed were of the show-stopper level. Signing an expensive free agent is what a team does when they want to play serious October baseball. The Tigers are nowhere near that level yet so it was unrealistic to expect them to go after these free agents.

I?ve been reading a lot about Harris and what he?s been up to in San Diego. And so far, there?s a lot to like.

Here are my top 5 signs that offer proof that Harris knows what he?s doing so far:

Former Tigers outfielder Victor Reyes has agreed to a minor-league contract with the White Sox, per source.

The deal includes a non-roster invitation to spring training.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/12/09/saturday-survey-57/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

The Detroit Tigers? PoBO, Scott Harris, just returned from the Winter Meetings. He acquired 4 players in the process.

In return for trading Joe Jimenez, Detroit got third baseman/outfielder Justyn-Henry Malloy and left-handed reliever Jake Higginbotham. Both are expected to make their MLB debuts at some point this year.

Malloy was the Braves? #6 prospect and their top prospect with having the best bat-to-ball skills and strike-zone discipline. He fits what Harris said the Tigers need if they want to changed their offensive behavior. Scouts have marveled at his pitch recognition and strength. He walks a lot and is only 22 years old.

Higginbotham is a lefty pitcher with a fastball clocked at 95 MPH. He strikes out 9.4K/9.

Jimenez had 1 year left on his contract before becoming a free agent. The Braves had been trying to trade for him since last year but could never strike a deal with Al Avila despite multiple attempts.

The Tigers were in no position to sign an expensive free agent this year. The plan is to perform better in 2023 and compete, but they are still not close to contending for a playoff spot.
What do you think of this trade?

What do you think about this week's trade with the Braves?

1. Solid move

2. No complaints

3. Not happy

VOTE

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...cody-stavenhagen/id1557916983?i=1000589658755
Turning The Corner Detroit Tigers Podcast 91: Detroit Tigers Make Winter Meetings Moves. 56 minutes.

The Detroit Tigers had a quiet 2022 Winter Meetings, but their actions spoke volumes. The Athletic's Cody Stavenhagen and co-host Kieran Steckley breakdown the team's near and distant future, including Joe Jimenez getting traded, MLB Draft Lottery, Jonathan Schoop and more.

Tigers right-hander Mason Englert (Rule 5 draft): "The absolute goal is to come in with better stuff than I've ever had, open some eyes, win a spot and stick. ... I want to be a solidified big-league starter, so that's the goal."

Back