Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers and MLB 2019-2020 Free Agents Rule 5 Offseason Calendar Winter Meetings

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...raft-rony-garcia-new-york-yankees/4414279002/
Detroit Tigers take a chance on sling-shot righty Rony Garcia in Rule 5 draft.
Freep

The Tigers made two selections in the minor-league phase of the Rule 5 draft, taking righty Ruben Garcia from the Orioles and infielder Brian Schales from the Twins.

Garcia, 23, was Baltimore?s 14th-round pick in 2016. He?s posted a 3.82 ERA and 1.31 WHIP in four minor league seasons as a reliever, none above Class A.

Schales, 23, was Miami?s fourth round pick in 2014. He?s a .237 hitter with limited power in six seasons with the Marlins and Twins.

Selections in the minor-league phase cost $24,000.

Maybe miggy can finish that fight with lettuces brother now!

Avila is a dumbass

Reports that the Astros are interested in trading for Matthew Boyd. It makes sense for them to try to get another pitcher from the Tigers considering how they fleeced Al Avila on the Justin Verlander trade.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2019/12/13/the-saturday-survey-60/
THE SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

The Saturday Survey offers another way for readers to weigh in on a relevant topic. So here is a poll to gauge the pulse of our baseball-lovin? peeps.

As always, we welcome your comments, so please vote and then submit your reasons ( 4 sentences max!) for how you voted in the usual comment box. Don?t forget to come back later and view the results!

What was your response to Al Avila's mention about the team being ready to 'build it back up'?

Happy to hear it.

Way too early to be building up.

Need to see it to believe it.

Has no merit/marketing strategy only.

Not sure.

Other.

Vote.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2019/12/13/the-saturday-survey-60/
THE SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

The Saturday Survey offers another way for readers to weigh in on a relevant topic. So here is a poll to gauge the pulse of our baseball-lovin? peeps.

As always, we welcome your comments, so please vote and then submit your reasons ( 4 sentences max!) for how you voted in the usual comment box. Don?t forget to come back later and view the results!

What was your response to Al Avila's mention about the team being ready to 'build it back up'?

Happy to hear it.

Way too early to be building up.

Need to see it to believe it.

Has no merit/marketing strategy only.

Not sure.

Other.

Vote.

I'm unhappy to say with the signing of a backup catcher. The worst might still be in the future, as no real help was given to the offence. Need runs to win games. just do not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Which means dark times are still ahead!

Build back up to Avila means sign guys that no one wants and does very little to help us win.

It really does feel to me like the main goal is to get the payroll down and sell the team

It really does feel to me like the main goal is to get the payroll down and sell the team

I don't think having a losing team with a low payroll will raise the value of the team. I think they just don't want to throw a bunch of money at guys that will only get them to "shitty" (right now they are worse than shitty)

I agree with this strategy. Suck for a while, build the farm system then add good free agents when the team is ready to be competitive. It might be a while but that's what I would do. Of course, I would get rid of everyone in management, and I mean EVERYONE. I would above pay top dollar for the best scouts and management.

The probably with that strategy, and I don't know the numbers, but less payroll more profit but less fans less profit.

But the bigger problem is the fans who aren't going to games now but not go back when and if they become good. And in the few years we've been bad what's the farm system look like. 2-3 pitchers and that's it. I'm not sure who else we have.

That being said I wouldn't mind if the team was sold but only if they stay in Detroit. I still remember reading an article years and years ago where it was thought the Ilitch kids didn't want or appreciate the Tigers. Little I says all the right things but I wonder if he cares one way or the other.

Back