Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. rangers ALCS Game 1 Thread Oct. 8

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
pr0tege said:
Correct Victor's AB was horrible in that situation I agree. I think after hearing Leyland say in the press conference that he told to Avila to be patient with Gonzalez because he can be erratic at times is exactly why I am so hard on that AB. Mike missed badly on the 1st pitch and the 2nd is WAY high and inside and he just chops it to 2nd.

I think Avila was waiting for a pitch for the inner half of the plate to hit rather than get to chasing one his slider low and away, the pitch was up a little too much but he swung anyway.
just an overall frustraing game from the first inning on. When you leave the bases loaded like that on the road....

Yeah Magglio's at bat was worthless.

TigerMud said:
Turok said:
Already know that Avila is completely DONE at the plate for the postseason, might as well put a Tigers pitcher in to PH for him in his last AB, as well as for, or instead of fucking Betemit.

Benemit has got to be the biggest hacker i've ever seen. Send his ass back to KC

Whats worse about the Betemit's AB is that the guy has CLEARLY struggled this postseason (0 for 8 w/4 K's including 3 straight horrible K AB's in his last game) Before the strike out and in his career is 0 for 6 against Feliz with 3k.

However Brandon is 2 for 2 in his career against Feliz with a HR. Not saying Inge would have did any better but he clearly is having a better postseason then Betemit. To much is put into this RH vs LHP and vise verse and sometimes the match-up just shouldn't be made based solely on that.

And to add something to that. Ramon should of been bunted over to begin with instead of let a struggling hitter whom has no plate discipline at all right now swing away for the fence.

MI_Thumb said:
TigerMud said:
Why is Dirks on the post season roster? they aren't using him i'd rather see Dirks in Center right now than Jackson, can't be any worse.

Are you high?

Nope and I'm not the only one with this sentiment.

tigers99888 said:
TigerMud said:
Why is Dirks on the post season roster? they aren't using him i'd rather see Dirks in Center right now than Jackson, can't be any worse.
Dirks provides the bongs, so the lineup can continually hack at garbage and make quick outs..

LMAO, is that what he does. LOL. that's funny

MI_Thumb said:
bdtay71 said:
I second that. Jackson has been sorry and he hasn't done anything in the field either.

Seriously, you guys want Andy Dirks who is not much of a hitter either, and not even close to Ajax on defense.

You're letting a rare error cloud your judgements.

it's not the error, its the horrible liability he is at the plate and his OF hasn't been anything to talk about this post season even before the error. Pulls up 5 ft from a liner and damn near lets it bounce over his head, speed is great but he won't lay out for a ball. Dirks can let those in or just over all the same. We need runs not fast outfielders who let it drop in anyway. Throw as long as I never have to leave my feet K machine in with a trade for a good plate disciplined 2nd basemen if we can get one.

I agree Jackson IS a liability at times at the plate and has showed that but lets not forget he had our only RBI tonight and scored the 2nd run as well on the WP.

His problem right now though is that he is not a leadoff hitter by no means and his flaws are being really showed right now because of his long swing and his inability to catch up to mid 90's FB's. His ideal spot in the lineup would be in the 9 hole to where when he DOES get on its a bonus and the K's from the 9 hole wouldn't be as hurtful as the ones are in the leadoff slot ahead of our RBI producers.

TigerMud said:
MI_Thumb said:
Are you high?

Nope and I'm not the only one with this sentiment.

I just assumed you were sharing a bong, or a small meth lab with the other person who said it.

I used a drug reference because when I think about the idea behind replacing Jackson with Dirks, the first word that pops into my head is "dope".

Well...the Rangers have done one thing in winning this game, which obviously and vividly demonstrates that they are far more dangerous than the Yankees were, that being they have the defense, pitching, and hitting that matches up very well to, and before this series is over, may indeed continue to surpass ours, and likely for more than just this first game. The Tigers have to hope for a spark from the middle of their lineup, and soon, or this series may end up being a VERY short one.

Our Offensive numbers this postseason.

190 AB
19 R
43 H
8 2B
6 HR
17 RBI
23 BB
61 K

.226 AVG
3.1 Runs Per Game

2 for last 20 with RiSP (.100 AVG)
12 for 48 with RiSP overall (.250 AVG)

GIDP (8) - Santiago (2), Magglio (2), Martinez (2), Peralta, Cabrera
Team LOB - 41

pr0tege said:
Our Offensive numbers this postseason.

190 AB
19 R
43 H
8 2B
6 HR
17 RBI
23 BB
61 K

.226 AVG
3.1 Runs Per Game

2 for last 20 with RiSP (.100 AVG)
12 for 48 with RiSP overall (.250 AVG)

GIDP (8) - Santiago (2), Magglio (2), Martinez (2), Peralta, Cabrera
Team LOB - 41

And Delmon had 3 of those homers and a few Rbi's

jackson is nothing more than a 9 hitter at this point. unfortunately, you cant move him now and dirks isnt the answer at the lead off spot (although i like him). With Delmon Young and Boesch comming back dirks is going to have a hard time seeing the field. trade him for jose reyes...straight up
laugh.png

October 9 at around 12 noon.
Chances of rain here in Arlington: 60 pct. today, 80 pct tonight, 40 pct on Monday. And it's pouring outside right now.

If this rain continues as forecast, they could cancel tonights game, back the games up a day and it puts Verlander at game 4 on full rest instead of coming back on short rest.
just saying.
As bad as last night was, with the ump, Verlander, Tigers lack of hitting with risp, and everything, all they need is a win in game 2 tonight or if canceled on Monday and they split which is what we were hoping for.
It takes the sting out of how last nights game unfolded.

again I'll rant about dirks..

why do people feel so strongly about him?

sub .300 OBP....below average D for CF, less speed...almost identical OPS to Jackson.

that's the solution?

jimmygank said:
again I'll rant about dirks..

why do people feel so strongly about him?

sub .300 OBP....below average D for CF, less speed...almost identical OPS to Jackson.

that's the solution?

Maybe not, but in the hot/ice-cold (Avila, ARod...et. al) players/teams MLB postseason categories, all/many of their prior stats have and oft-times can sometimes be tossed out the window, for just a couple examples, Renteria and the "gritty" SS David Eckstein recently being awarded WS MVPs. They may be "extreme" examples of otherwise slightly/somewhat better than your average run-of-the-mill baseball players, but ya get the picture/reasons nonetheless.

First three postseason games Tigers hit .357 with RISP.
In the last three games the team has hit just .100 (2-for-20).

MLB very concerned with Texas rain today. Do not want game w/delays like last nite that could wreck pitching for rest of series.

Rain all day in Texas today, forecast good for tomorrow. Chance ALCS Game 2 could get pushed back a day.

If they push it back, would it be during the game?

I don't want to miss MNF.

mjsb2 said:

God that would suck... They would probably play in twilight.

mjsb2 said:

good question, probably won't know until after it happens, unless that strategy is already decided by mlb. haven't found anything about it yet,

Back