Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. rangers ALCS Game 5 Thread Oct. 13

[quote author=.

And if we manage to beat Texas Miggy is going to be our 3rd baseman 4 games if the Brewers win, and 3 if the Cardinals.

So it's not as big a deal as you think to put him at 3rd.[/quote]

Why just 3 games with the Cards?

So what if it hurts when he swings Spock?

Play through the fucking pain, this is the goddamned postseason.

And even if it hurts, it's not affecting him, he's still taking huge rips and not cringing, and if he can make contact, can still blast one out.

jdbaker1 said:
[quote author=.

And if we manage to beat Texas Miggy is going to be our 3rd baseman 4 games if the Brewers win, and 3 if the Cardinals.

So it's not as big a deal as you think to put him at 3rd.

Why just 3 games with the Cards?[/quote]

My mistake, I forgot for a sec about the stupid all-star homefield thing.

Kept thinking it was about records.

MI_Thumb said:

And even if it hurts, it's not affecting him, he's still taking huge rips and not cringing, and if he can make contact, can still blast one out.

I think I agree that it isn't effecting him a whole lot at the plate, maybe a little mentally. I do think he has the potential of really hurting us on the field though. Not sure I think we move Miggy to 3rd but it might work. Regardless, JV better have a hell of a game. He hasn't really come correct yet this postseason, looked good at times but not like the best pitcher in baseball, yet.

MI_Thumb said:

...yeah, because playing through the pain is making Avila and VMart OH SO EFFECTIVE, might as well make another player do it too just on the off-chance that he could run into a mistake in between making outs and blundering around in the outfield.

MI_Thumb said:
jdbaker1 said:
[quote author=.

So it's not as big a deal as you think to put him at 3rd.

Why just 3 games with the Cards?

My mistake, I forgot for a sec about the stupid all-star homefield thing.

Kept thinking it was about records.[/quote]

Wish I could forget it, what a stupid rule.

I would just sit Young and play Kelly or Dirks... Maybe they can save a run with a good catch or two. and maybe they can sacrifice a runner or two run into one. Maybe they get a walk and score on a double which we know DY cannot do... I hope Young runs into one but he has been pretty bad in the ALCS... If your hurt... You are hurting the team more then helping it..

Need to jump on Wilson early before Washington can go to his pen and then play from ahead to force Game 6.

Spockmaster said:
MI_Thumb said:
FTFY.

The intercostal pull does not seem to hurt his swing, it would be nice if he could DH.

Let Miggy play 3rd, and Victor 1st.

Delmon only hurts us on defense, just like he did all season.

He's the same at the plate, not saying that's good or bad, just a non factor as far as the injury goes.
i have to disagree. its gotta hurt every time he swings, hell he was initially left off the roster because it hurt and tightened up when he tried to do batting practice. i dont see any way it could have healed sufficiently in about a week to the point where it doesnt affect his swing any more.

and i fail to see how making the defense worse at 2 positions to improve it at 1 helps any. victor is a marginal upgrade defensively over miggy at 1st WHEN HE'S HEALTHY, which he is not. and cabrera is probably going to be as bad at 3rd at this point as delmon is in the outfield. might as well just start kelly in the OF and hit him 9th, because as much as i hate to say it he's one of our hottest bats right now and infinitely better in the field than delmon is.

Again.

Verlander is a FLYBALL PITCHER.

The changes to 1st and 3rd would be mostly insignificant.

Victor is hurt, but but does not act it, at most it costs him some range, not that we had much at 1st anyhow.

And Cabrera is probably just as good at 3b defense at Bememit.

Spockmaster said:
MI_Thumb said:

...yeah, because playing through the pain is making Avila and VMart OH SO EFFECTIVE, might as well make another player do it too just on the off-chance that he could run into a mistake in between making outs and blundering around in the outfield.

We have nobody else but Kelly or Dirks, neither of whom should ever, ever start vs. LHP.

That's why I say Delmon has to hit at least.

But it's bad to have him in the OF with Verlander or Scherzer going.

MI_Thumb said:
Spockmaster said:
i have to disagree. its gotta hurt every time he swings, hell he was initially left off the roster because it hurt and tightened up when he tried to do batting practice. i dont see any way it could have healed sufficiently in about a week to the point where it doesnt affect his swing any more.

and i fail to see how making the defense worse at 2 positions to improve it at 1 helps any. victor is a marginal upgrade defensively over miggy at 1st WHEN HE'S HEALTHY, which he is not. and cabrera is probably going to be as bad at 3rd at this point as delmon is in the outfield. might as well just start kelly in the OF and hit him 9th, because as much as i hate to say it he's one of our hottest bats right now and infinitely better in the field than delmon is.

Again.

Verlander is a FLYBALL PITCHER.

The changes to 1st and 3rd would be mostly insignificant.

Victor is hurt, but but does not act it, at most it costs him some range, not that we had much at 1st anyhow.

And Cabrera is probably just as good at 3b defense at Bememit.
yeah he's a fly ball pitcher, but he still gets ground balls about 40% of the time (vs 42% FB this year), so mangling the infield defense when he's got about an equal chance of getting fly balls vs ground balls is NOT a good strategy.

MI_Thumb said:
Spockmaster said:

We have nobody else but Kelly or Dirks, neither of whom should ever, ever start vs. LHP.

That's why I say Delmon has to hit at least.

But it's bad to have him in the OF with Verlander or Scherzer going.
ill take kelly against a lefty if he's hitting low in the lineup because of his defense at this point. We have enough righties filling out the rest of the lineup that it wouldnt hurt much.

Back