Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. rangers ALCS Game 5 Thread Oct. 13

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
TIGERS
1. Austin Jackson, cf
2. Ryan Raburn, rf
3. Miguel Cabrera, 1b
4. Victor Martinez, dh
5. Delmon Young, lf
6. Jhonny Peralta, ss
7. Brandon Inge, 3b
8. Alex Avila, c
9. Ramon Santiago, 2b
P: Justin Verlander

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=311013106&teams=texas-rangers-vs-detroit-tigers
Tigers vs. rangers ALCS Game 5 Preview.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6341/justin-verlander
Verlander vs. rangers.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6311/cj-wilson
Tigers hitters vs. wilson.
from espn

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_10_13_texmlb_detmlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=311013106&teams=texas-rangers-vs-detroit-tigers
Boxscore from espn

It's Win or go home.

Young should not be playing right now. He's too hurt to be productive.

Spockmaster said:
Young should not be playing right now. He's too hurt to be productive.

I agree S... He can't field or hit right now... He is good for one good swing a game right now and this time lets hope he keeps it fair!!!!!

Maybe Leyland will sub for Young later in the game if necessary.

Can JV pitch a no-no or maybe only scatter some singles in a CG SHO in the postseason?

tongue.png

Just in case we might need him to do so this afternoon?

::)

Wearing my new Tiger shirt for today... Hopefully it will help....And..... Keep me warm...

Go Tigers!!!!!

I'm about to head downtown for the game in a few.... hoping Verlander does his thing and extends this series! GO TIGERS!

Turok said:
Maybe Leyland will sub for Young later in the game if necessary.

Can JV pitch a no-no or maybe only scatter some singles in a CG SHO in the postseason?

tongue.png

Just in case we might need him to do so this afternoon?

::)
thats about all we can hope for, i have zero faith in this offense right now.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Wearing my new Tiger shirt for today... Hopefully it will help....And..... Keep me warm...

Go Tigers!!!!!

Just keep your pair of black cats handy, Bob, b/c my big black tomcat "Lenny" is gonna be too.

superstition.gif

If you could get a guaranteed 3 runs from the Tigers, no more, no less, in the next three games would you take it?

With the offense performing like it is right now, I think I say yes. Although I don't think we win game 6 or 7 with 3 runs.

Also, JV better get his rhythm going early today. If he gets a 1-2-3 first, it'll be a good day. But he's been struggling in that first this postseason.

Also,

The Tigers really need to get some runs early. They keep threatening in the first but always find a way to get of the inning with nothing. We need momentum right at the start of this game and loosen up the whole team.

I like the lineup aside from DY. I agree he might be good for 1 ab so I would leave him on the bench and use him to pinch hit. Otherwise, let him sit. He will kill us in the field. Also, I said this yesterday but AA looks lost. We wouldn't lose anything at the plate if Santos played, not sure if we would lose much behind the plate. If the Tigers win and then with the day off tomorrow maybe it helps Alex.

jdbaker1 said:
I like the lineup aside from DY. I agree he might be good for 1 ab so I would leave him on the bench and use him to pinch hit. Otherwise, let him sit. He will kill us in the field. Also, I said this yesterday but AA looks lost. We wouldn't lose anything at the plate if Santos played, not sure if we would lose much behind the plate. If the Tigers win and then with the day off tomorrow maybe it helps Alex.

I still can't figure out if Avila's struggles are mental or physical. Probably a little of both. I agree with the DY comment tho. Keep him off of the field if we can. And if we really need a big hit, pinch hit him.

I'm about 15 miles NNW as the crow flies from CoPa, it was drizzling early in the morning, but right now just overcast, and kinda cool, damp, and humid.

Edit: the sun just broke out from the gloom, but looks like it "might" cloud completely over again soon, with darker thick clouds to my NW, could go either way I guess, break-up or cloud-up.

Spockmaster said:
Young should not be playing right now. He's too hurt to be <s>productive</s> defensive.

FTFY.

The intercostal pull does not seem to hurt his swing, it would be nice if he could DH.

Let Miggy play 3rd, and Victor 1st.

Delmon only hurts us on defense, just like he did all season.

He's the same at the plate, not saying that's good or bad, just a non factor as far as the injury goes.

MI_Thumb said:
Spockmaster said:
Young should not be playing right now. He's too hurt to be <s>productive</s> defensive.

FTFY.

The intercostal pull does not seem to hurt his swing, it would be nice if he could DH.

He's the same at the plate, not saying that's good or bad, just a non factor as far as the injury goes.

Yeah, that would certainly improve the defense ::). Weaken 2 spots on defense to strengthen one. Winning strategy if I've ever heard of one.

Need JV to pitch a 3 hitter!!!!!!
Then with our hitting it would probably be a 1-0 final....LOL

mikem2780 said:
MI_Thumb said:
FTFY.

Yeah, that would certainly improve the defense ::). Weaken 2 spots on defense to strengthen one. Winning strategy if I've ever heard of one.

Let me point our your sarcasm fail.

Verlander is a FLYBALL pitcher, LF counts for about 3x as much as any IF position.

Victor is not a downgrade at 1st, he's probably as good as Miggy.

And if we manage to beat Texas Miggy is going to be our 3rd baseman 4 games if the Brewers win, and 3 if the Cardinals.

So it's not as big a deal as you think to put him at 3rd.

MI_Thumb said:
Spockmaster said:

FTFY.

i have to disagree. its gotta hurt every time he swings, hell he was initially left off the roster because it hurt and tightened up when he tried to do batting practice. i dont see any way it could have healed sufficiently in about a week to the point where it doesnt affect his swing any more.

and i fail to see how making the defense worse at 2 positions to improve it at 1 helps any. victor is a marginal upgrade defensively over miggy at 1st WHEN HE'S HEALTHY, which he is not. and cabrera is probably going to be as bad at 3rd at this point as delmon is in the outfield. might as well just start kelly in the OF and hit him 9th, because as much as i hate to say it he's one of our hottest bats right now and infinitely better in the field than delmon is.

Back