Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. whitesox Game Thread May 15

Valverde's lower back tightened up.

As much antics as he does in between pitches I'm not surprised.

Swiping at the dirt, tugging at his shoelaces, pulling up his socks, touching the rosin bag...in between every pitch.

I read the whole thread.

you might not have given up completely, but you called 3rd place.

Even you have to admit the negativity around here is getting out of hand.

Even you have to admit who called the 8 spot!!!!!

Bam!!~~!!!!! Sweet 2nd place it is!!!!!

Jim please stop using the closer in non save situations. Ya just don't do it man. I'm actually amazed we manage to stay at .500 with as lousy a manager we've got.

If you can't use your best relief pitcher in any situation he truly isn't your best relief pitcher. Valverde has to get over this problem where he can't pitch in non-save situations. I think last year was a fluke....he was just lucky.

If you can't use your best relief pitcher in any situation he truly isn't your best relief pitcher. Valverde has to get over this problem where he can't pitch in non-save situations. I think last year was a fluke....he was just lucky.

Yeah, Valverde isn't our best RP, nor was he last year.

Even on MLB Gamecast yesterday that game was maddening. As for using Valverde in non-save situations, that's not the role of a closer. A closer thrives on preserving "close" games. Another twist on the word. For whatever reason, PG is not wired to enter games with a cushion.

Even on MLB Gamecast yesterday that game was maddening. As for using Valverde in non-save situations, that's not the role of a closer. A closer thrives on preserving "close" games. Another twist on the word. For whatever reason, PG is not wired to enter games with a cushion.

It's still no excuse.

When Leyland turns to his bullpen to lockdown a late inning lead, save, non save, or tie, they had better be expected to do the job.

The mental aspect factors in, but in the end your closer is the guy other teams just cant score off, and Valverde gives up a lot of baserunners and runs.

If Valverde is out for any save chances, I'd like to see Benoit get the chance to close, since a rough April the guy has been pretty lights out, also he has 25 strikeouts in 15.2 innings....that's insane.

only problem is that ive heard Benoit isnt at all interested in closing even though i think he is not only our best RP but would be great at it.

only problem is that ive heard Benoit isnt at all interested in closing even though i think he is not only our best RP but would be great at it.

I don't mean full time, Smokes is not likely to change closers.

I just mean rather than Dotel or Coke when Valverde is not available.

But Smokey likes to keep people in their assigned spots, so likely he'll leave Benoit at the 8th inning guys and use someone else till Papa Tubby's back is mended.

I don't mean full time, Smokes is not likely to change closers.

I just mean rather than Dotel or Coke when Valverde is not available.

But Smokey likes to keep people in their assigned spots, so likely he'll leave Benoit at the 8th inning guys and use someone else till Papa Tubby's back is mended.

ah. i would prefer that as well, Coke and Dotel both have platoon splits that are too big for them to be consistently used against both LH and RH hitters.

It's still no excuse.

When Leyland turns to his bullpen to lockdown a late inning lead, save, non save, or tie, they had better be expected to do the job.

The mental aspect factors in, but in the end your closer is the guy other teams just cant score off, and Valverde gives up a lot of baserunners and runs.

If Valverde is out for any save chances, I'd like to see Benoit get the chance to close, since a rough April the guy has been pretty lights out, also he has 25 strikeouts in 15.2 innings....that's insane.

It sort of is. He's just not good at it..If a player is a notoriously low average hitter against LHP you can't expect them to suddenly hit .300 against southpaws? Some teams rarely use their closer in non-save situations, but Valverde is used a lot. Just bad managing IMO.

Apples and Oranges, Mitch.

Players don't hit or not hit off LHP or RHP because of a mental factor.

It's something physical, either they see or don't see the ball better and or have better timing/reaction.

As far as Valverde being used a lot, maybe, but when a players number is called, bad managing or not, he has to be ready.

Apples and Oranges, Mitch.

Players don't hit or not hit off LHP or RHP because of a mental factor.

It's something physical, either they see or don't see the ball better and or have better timing/reaction.

As far as Valverde being used a lot, maybe, but when a players number is called, bad managing or not, he has to be ready.

Maybe but some closers just can't do a non-save well and can't learn it. Leyland needs to understand this and not use him. Like I said, bad managing.

Maybe but some closers just can't do a non-save well and can't learn it. Leyland needs to understand this and not use him. Like I said, bad managing.

I don't believe that. If you are a great reliever you should be able to perform in any situation. Valverde needs to adjust.

Valverde was successful in non save situations in 09 and 08.

He was actually better in on save situations in 08 than he was in 09.

The whole he can't pitch in non save situations is a bunch of bullshit, backed by small sample sizes.

If Valverde can only pitch in save situations (and he's not really effective in those situations anymore) then he should be pitching period.

Last edited:
Valverde was successful in non save situations in 09 and 08.

He was actually better in on save situations in 08 than he was in 09.

The whole he can't pitch in non save situations is a bunch of bullshit, backed by small sample sizes.

If Valverde can only pitch in save situations (and he's not really effective in those situations anymore) then he should be pitching period.
yep. i think the heart of the matter is that he's just not that effective at all anymore.

Love it..

Someone should send him some orange and black pom poms,because you are either a cheerleader or a commentator. not both.

I'd be embarrassed if rod or mario acted like that.

"DAG GUMMIT!" DOOOOOOOSH

Bro, i have to mute that tard everytime i watch the Tigers/White Sox games when they're in Chicago. It's ridiculous.

Back