Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Van Noy can return to practice next week

I think they kept best on the roster so he would get 3 years accrued and be vested for medical like a vet.

Active roster. He was quoted as saying that they were counting on him being back.

Latest on Van Noy, and TJ Jones. Article says next to nothing new on Van Noy, other than he can return to practice this week, and I don't expect anything more about him until he's closer to actually playing or returning to the active roster after the bye week. The article also says that TJ Jones will probably be kept on the PUP all season unless an injury opens up a roster spot. What bout poor play, or replacing a guy that is bitching on twitter about pt. Get Jones in there and see if he can at least challenge Fuller for his spot. What could it hurt? They obviously have no intentions on using Broyles, so why not activate Jones and let Broyles hit the road?

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/10/14/6970377/lions-notes-kyle-van-noy-tj-jones

Last edited:
Ziggy Ansah had a sack, hurry, or qb hit every 2.88 snaps. That's more like it!!!

Young seems like another guy Mayhew should have locked up long term before his contract year. He was getting better every year, and like Avril we dont extend him and he hits the open market. Gets paid more than we are willing.

Young seems like another guy Mayhew should have locked up long term before his contract year. He was getting better every year, and like Avril we dont extend him and he hits the open market. Gets paid more than we are willing.

I think our defense is doing better than okay without either of those guys. With April and Young still here we might still be getting destroyed by the run on a weekly basis. So, while I'm impressed by Youngs sack numbers, I don't miss him because of how this defense is playing without them, at all

I was still concerned about our DE play up until the last few weeks. Cant argue with results though...were much better vs the run than when we had small framed guys like Avril and Young. Jones and Ansah do well vs the run. George Frikken Johnson is everywhere and taking a lot of PT from Devin Taylor.

But ya...SLH and Young are 2 depth guys that would be nice to still have around.

Latest on Van Noy, and TJ Jones. Article says next to nothing new on Van Noy, other than he can return to practice this week, and I don't expect anything more about him until he's closer to actually playing or returning to the active roster after the bye week. The article also says that TJ Jones will probably be kept on the PUP all season unless an injury opens up a roster spot. What bout poor play, or replacing a guy that is bitching on twitter about pt. Get Jones in there and see if he can at least challenge Fuller for his spot. What could it hurt? They obviously have no intentions on using Broyles, so why not activate Jones and let Broyles hit the road?

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/10/14/6970377/lions-notes-kyle-van-noy-tj-jones

To add to the PUP rules and the future of TJ this year. We have 5 weeks to activate him or he is done for the year. If he starts to practice we have 21 days to activate him or he is done for the year. We will probably let him sit the next 2 weeks then get him practicing, then make a decision before the 5 weeks is up and he is lost for the year.

To add to the PUP rules and the future of TJ this year. We have 5 weeks to activate him or he is done for the year. If he starts to practice we have 21 days to activate him or he is done for the year. We will probably let him sit the next 2 weeks then get him practicing, then make a decision before the 5 weeks is up and he is lost for the year.

the only reason he should ever dress this year is if broyles goes off the deep end....aka...step 3 of the mayhew plan.

Soooo if hes 100 % why the fuck did our GM put him on short term IR? We are now wasting his ability for another 6 weeks...for no reason. Its like mayhew doesn't want his picks to ever be successful. Its one thing to bring guys along slowly....but 6 weeks for an injury he cant really reinjure is ridiculous. Not to mention this is the same team playing our superstar WR on a bum ankle. Same ol lions.

No real reason to get mad at Mayhew or Caldwell for Van Noy out a little longer than expected. We're 4-2 without him and when he returns, he returns to a top-notch D and will contribute nicely I'm assuming. I can see if we were 1-5, Tahir Whitehead sucked and we were bottom of the barrel on defense, but we're not...so chill the fuck out.

Btw...doesn't a doctor give advice to these coaches/GMs about injuries and possible return times? I would think so...

No real reason to get mad at Mayhew or Caldwell for Van Noy out a little longer than expected. We're 4-2 without him and when he returns, he returns to a top-notch D and will contribute nicely I'm assuming. I can see if we were 1-5, Tahir Whitehead sucked and we were bottom of the barrel on defense, but we're not...so chill the fuck out.

Btw...doesn't a doctor give advice to these coaches/GMs about injuries and possible return times? I would think so...

our doctors have shown time and time again they have no fucking clue what they are doing. they almost killed jahvid best. they are playing the best wr in football on a severely sprained ankle. Im not saying anything about our defense....just that its dumb that we have a kid weve all been clamoring for on your bench for more than 6 weeks AFTER hes 100%. Either the kid is a miracle, our doctors suck, or our gm blows.

our doctors have shown time and time again they have no fucking clue what they are doing. they almost killed jahvid best. they are playing the best wr in football on a severely sprained ankle. Im not saying anything about our defense....just that its dumb that we have a kid weve all been clamoring for on your bench for more than 6 weeks AFTER hes 100%. Either the kid is a miracle, our doctors suck, or our gm blows.

Doctors actually saved Best's life, hard to stop CJ from wanting to play and maybe Van Noy is a miracle lol. Pretty sure the docs know what they're doing.

And I love CJ's heart, but everyone knows that he's a fucking mute. If he knew that his ankle was "severely sprained" or whatever, he should have manned up and said something. Everybody in the NFL knew his ankle was fucked and that Buffalo defender went right after it. Why do you think he got like 3 targets in 2 games? He should have been sitting and that's on CJ if you ask me because he knows his body a whole hell of a lot more than anyone else.

Van Noy and Mosely activated. How do you guys think the Lions will be using Van Noy? My guess, he's going to be just about everywhere in the Lions lb spots and part of the DE rotation. Going to be interesting how Austin uses him. Also imo, offenses will NEED to pay attention to this guy every down he plays. Cannot wait, I honestly think this kid makes an impact the second he steps foot on the field.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11815221

Last edited:
Van Noy and Mosely activated. How do you guys think the Lions willl be using Van Noy? My guess, he's going to be just about everywhere in the Lions lb spots and part of the DE rotation. Going to be interesting how Austin uses him. Also imo, offenses will NEED to pay attention to this guy every down he plays. Cannot wait, I honestly think this kid makes an impact the second he steps foot on the field.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11815221

Should play over Palmer in the 4-3 and over whitehead when we have 2 lbs on the field. I dont see him getting much pt over the des.....maybe though.

With Van noy on the field I think we will see more 3-4 alignments than we have in the past. Ziggy also has the ability to play OLB in a 3-4. Especially with Fairley being out.

With Van noy on the field I think we will see more 3-4 alignments than we have in the past. Ziggy also has the ability to play OLB in a 3-4. Especially with Fairley being out.

That will be exciting..I like the 3-4.

What would 3-4 look like vs Miami?

Suh... Mosley...Jones
VanNoy...Levy...Whitehead...Ansah

Seems interesting and worth trying if for no other reason than to give Miami a different look on some plays.

As soon as they picked Van Noy I thought it was so we could play both a 4-3 and a 3-4. Our DC has always been more of a 3-4 coach but our personal are set for a 4-3 for at least this year. Our LBers are really the strength of the D right now. they are athletic and versatile. Especially when playing the Cards and pats we need to give Palmer and Brady different looks. If we line up the same way every play they will pick us apart. You need to make them think and get them guessing where the pressure will come from. Ziggy and Van Noy played every spot at BYU and did it well they can do it here as well. That was my main issue with Gunther is he never changed anything our D was very predictable. Now with Austin he isnt afraid to take some chances and give a team different looks.

Back