Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why Stafford will never be a great QB

Remember when the Saints sucked? When's that going to happen to us?

You'll hate Staff no matter what he does. Reminds me of Flacco here in Baltimore, even with a ring last season people are still hating on him, although he was shit this season.

So not true. Stafford had all the goodwill in the world built up behind him basically since he gutted out a comeback win versus the Browns in his first year. He has been slowly pissing it away since then with poor play and these rumors that he is tough to coach. If he does anything remotely good he'll be a god. We haven't had a good quarterback since Bobby Layne. Baltimore can kiss my ass they have more Super Bowls in their short history than we have playoff appearances over that same time. What the hell do they got to hate?

You'll hate Staff no matter what he does. Reminds me of Flacco here in Baltimore, even with a ring last season people are still hating on him, although he was shit this season.

That's why he was shit this season. Just because you win a super bowl doesn't mean you get love for the rest of life.

I didn't shit on Stafford last season but two years in a row he should get slack..

Fine, that's fair. We'll see how he performs when it counts.

I guess we know. Completed 70% of his passes with two TDs, zero INT with 105 rating. That's a solid game against a good Saints team..

However you want to summarize it. Both played poorly in the 1st half (7-6 at halftime), and both played pretty well in the 2nd half.

It's all about the points, eh? Face it the guy was good.

It's all about the points, eh? Face it the guy was good.

No, points are just part of it. Like I said in my earlier post responding to you, Foles took a sack of -11 yards that pushed them out of field goal range. Plus he had a very bad intentional grounding penalty. Both of those happened in the first half.

No, points are just part of it. Like I said in my earlier post responding to you, Foles took a sack of -11 yards that pushed them out of field goal range. Plus he had a very bad intentional grounding penalty. Both of those happened in the first half.

He talks about that a lot. The way their offense is ran he is coached to hold onto the ball longer cause they rely on the big play to maximize effectiveness in their quick paced offense. Therefor hes fine with "eating it." granted its not the best time to do it when it knocks you out of FG range.....but Stafford has done that a TON this year too and he has the quickest release time in the NFL. To be honest id rather see Stafford in an offense that has him hold onto the ball longer and hopefully it leads to better throws/decisions. Getting it out fast has limited the sacks....but its led to way too many erratic throws, horrible decisions, missing wide open secondary targets and interceptions where he doesn't even see the defender. NOt to mention its turned calvin into a 7 yard slant guy, Pettigrew into his standard 6 yard curl guy, bush in the flat, and Burleson with his 2 steps and turn. Why do we even have a playbook?

Last edited:
He talks about that a lot. The way their offense is ran he is coached to hold onto the ball longer cause they rely on the big play to maximize effectiveness in their quick paced offense. Therefor hes fine with "eating it." granted its not the best time to do it when it knocks you out of FG range.....but Stafford has done that a TON this year too and he has the quickest release time in the NFL. To be honest id rather see Stafford in an offense that has him hold onto the ball longer and hopefully it leads to better throws/decisions. Getting it out fast has limited the sacks....but its led to way too many erratic throws, horrible decisions, missing wide open secondary targets and interceptions where he doesn't even see the defender. NOt to mention its turned calvin into a 7 yard slant guy, Pettigrew into his standard 6 yard curl guy, bush in the flat, and Burleson with his 2 steps and turn. Why do we even have a playbook?

I agree. If Stafford goes through his progressions and we get at least one other good WR, it would help our offense a lot. He'd hopefully find more open receivers and throw fewer interceptions (because he's not just forcing a throw). If he's throwing fewer interceptions, I could accept a few more sacks.

To do that Stafford would need a huge upgrade in footwork and pocket presence.

To do that Stafford would need a huge upgrade in footwork and pocket presence.

He would, but at least it appears we now have a solid O-line and hopefully we'll bring in a good coach to work with him.

I agree. If Stafford goes through his progressions and we get at least one other good WR, it would help our offense a lot. He'd hopefully find more open receivers and throw fewer interceptions (because he's not just forcing a throw). If he's throwing fewer interceptions, I could accept a few more sacks.

He went through plenty of progressions. Durham burleson ogltree pettigrew and fauria didn't get open enough. Force to Calvin or check to rb your best bet

He would, but at least it appears we now have a solid O-line and hopefully we'll bring in a good coach to work with him.

but what does our oline look like if Stafford hold onto the ball longer than an AVERAGE of 2.3 seconds? hes getting it out crazy fast which probably masked some potential oline problems. Oline played great I cant deny it....but they got an assist with the way our offense was ran.

but what does our oline look like if Stafford hold onto the ball longer than an AVERAGE of 2.3 seconds? hes getting it out crazy fast which probably masked some potential oline problems. Oline played great I cant deny it....but they got an assist with the way our offense was ran.

It'll definitely make it more difficult for our O-line, but don't you think they'll improve too? If Waddle is our RT, he'll have an entire offseason to get better. Plus, I'd hope that Reiff can improve since this was his first season playing LT. Lastly, Warford was great as a rookie and I think he'll improve too.

Back