Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why Stafford will never be a great QB

he was given everything a qb could ask for ...the same OC for years, a great passing oline, a pass catching rb out of the backfield and the best WR in the game......and he was a bottom 10 qb this year. At this point we have to hope he can become average.
and the worst/harshest fan of all time :p

he was given everything a qb could ask for ...the same OC for years, a great passing oline, a pass catching rb out of the backfield and the best WR in the game......and he was a bottom 10 qb this year. At this point we have to hope he can become average.

ALMOST everything a QB could ask for. I guarantee you that no QB would ask for Durham, even as a #3 or #4 WR.
I understand you don't like Stafford at all, but "we have to hope he can become average" is a bit of a ridiculous statement. He currently is average. Over the last 7 games he has been below average. But that is 7 out of 61 games. Over his young career so far he's had one very good season and the rest have been average.

and the worst/harshest fan of all time :p

Yup, I dare people to prove me wrong and they constantly fail. I dare stafford to be above average.....ill be the first person to let you know when he lives up to his money.

So far in Stafford's career he has been an average QB. The thing he has going for him is his age. If he will accept coaching and change his "gunslinger" mentality I think he has the potential to be a top 10 QB in the league. He will need to make some changes. The #1 thing going against him is his inconsistancy. Not just game to game but throw to throw. Will he become a top 10 QB...I don't know but I hope he can.

Same thing was said about Favre. Stafford has Favre's ability and its next to impossible to change that type of QB.

I dont want his approach changed so much as I want his technique tweaked a bit or his approach to key game situations. I believe he can be a good/great QB he has shown signs but I think a good offensive minded coach will do him good.

I dont want his approach changed so much as I want his technique tweaked a bit or his approach to key game situations. I believe he can be a good/great QB he has shown signs but I think a good offensive minded coach will do him good.

Exactly. Well said.

Exactly. Well said.

problem is you cant coach accuracy. Even when his mechanics are "good" hes missing guys. Guys that are 6'8''. Guys that are 3 yards away on a dump down. I don't give a fuck how you throw the ball as long as you are accurate. We have a horribly inaccurate qb that makes 94 mil. It was the knock on him in college....I thought if he had the same coordinator for a long stretch hed be comfortable enough to make solid throws cause hed know the offense well enough. But in reality he panics for no reason, gets happy feet, has awful pocket presence, cant extend plays, drifts back instead of stepping up, and throws the ball wildly inaccurate still. On top of that he makes the wrong reads ALL the TIme....which leads to either throwing it right at a defender or completely missing wide open WRs all the time. Which leads me to ...he doesn't see the field very well. Sooooo.....all that vs his positive....he has a rocket arm. But he doesn't use his rocket arm cause he never throws the ball over 10 yards. And when he does he completes a horrid percentage of them.

We needed a new coordinator in the worst way. Staff needs an offense that's dumbed down...he looked completely lost most the time out there this year.

Last edited:
problem is you cant coach accuracy. Even when his mechanics are "good" hes missing guys. Guys that are 6'8''. Guys that are 3 yards away on a dump down. I don't give a fuck how you throw the ball as long as you are accurate. We have a horribly inaccurate qb that makes 94 mil. It was the knock on him in college....I thought if he had the same coordinator for a long stretch hed be comfortable enough to make solid throws cause hed know the offense well enough. But in reality he panics for no reason, gets happy feet, has awful pocket presence, cant extend plays, drifts back instead of stepping up, and throws the ball wildly inaccurate still.

First, he misses a lot fewer guys when his mechanics are good. Second, every QB in the league misses their WRs a few times a game. Sometimes it's the QBs fault, and sometimes there was a miscommunication on the route.

So, you can coach better mechanics and teach when to be more or less aggressive. If we get a coach who can help Stafford with these things, I guarantee you that he'll be more accurate.

This coaching change to me is different that the last few we have had. We have serious NFL talent on this team. And Schwartz did a good job. We were the worst team in NFL history when he got here, I think the team and the players especially Stafford needed a change with a new voice and new ideas to push them to the next level.

I'm not sure Schwartz did a good job. If we have talent but aren't winning what does that say about Schwartz.

Remember Staff wasn't the most accurate in college either. In facT his first two years were bad as far as accuracy goes. I'm not sure that will change.

Fumbles all year, fumbles in the redzone, league leading drops, bad ST play, too many fn dumb penalties.

You want more, sunshine?

Where would Kid immature be without Calvin Johnson..
LMAO on how you continue to defend how poorly Keg stand Boy played this year... We all know we are stuck with him but for you to miss how much he has regressed these last two years is pretty funny to see. Matt reads defenses like shit. Over throws guys that are wide open.. Has happy feet even though his line kept him pretty clean this year. Yeah hopefully he will listen to the new coaches... Because the last group of coaches coddled his ass.

Last edited:
lmao I got eaten alive for saying Stafford wasn't as good as you guys said. This is funny

lmao I got eaten alive for saying Stafford wasn't as good as you guys said. This is funny

I guess it took some of us a little longer to realize how much Matt has underachieved... Yards are well and good (megatron) but wins are what is needed from Matt.

hes still not awful, and still pretty young.

Yup hopefully the new coaches can put him over the top... Because it appears he can't do it himself... He had a shot this year and failed down the stretch...

Where would Kid immature be without Calvin Johnson..
LMAO on how you continue to defend how poorly Keg stand Boy played this year... We all know we are stuck with him but for you to miss how much he has regressed these last two years is pretty funny to see. Matt reads defenses like shit. Over throws guys that are wide open.. Has happy feet even though his line kept him pretty clean this year. Yeah hopefully he will listen to the new coaches... Because the last group of coaches coddled his ass.

Kid immature? Did he fuck you in the ass or something and never called you back? My God ...

You dont even know the meaning of the word "regressed", do you? You want to talk about funny? You're a fn carnival act lol.

Ive said it 100x over that he played like shit the second half of the season. Why you idiots keep choosing to ignore that ill never know. The kid continually throws for a ton of yards (progress), he threw for more TDs this year (progress) ...if you want to say he's regressed in comp % or INTs, ill buy into that. He definitely needs to work on his accuracy but to say his overall game has regressed is false.

And its not fair to say, where would he be without CJ? Thats dumb. Calvin is a Lion, not Staffords fault he gets to throw to a beast every Sunday. Yeah, we have Calvin but look at the rest of the junk we have to deal with. Burleson ....you're time is up old man, Durham ....he's terrible, Broyles ....cant stay healthy, Pettigrew ......give me a fn break. Bush, Bell and Fauria are solid options but Bush has olive oil on his hands and drops wayyyyy too many passes. And Fauria is still learning the game

Last edited:
Kid immature? Did he fuck you in the ass or something and never called you back? My God ...

You dont even know the meaning of the word "regressed", do you? You want to talk about funny? You're a fn carnival act lol.

Ive said it 100x over that he played like shit the second half of the season. Why you idiots keep choosing to ignore that ill never know. The kid continually throws for a ton of yards (progress), he threw for more TDs this year (progress) ...if you want to say he's regressed in comp % or INTs, ill buy into that. He definitely needs to work on his accuracy but to say his overall game has regressed is false.

And its not fair to say, where would he be without CJ? Thats dumb. Calvin is a Lion, not Staffords fault he gets to throw to a beast every Sunday. Yeah, we have Calvin but look at the rest of the junk we have to deal with. Burleson ....you're time is up old man, Durham ....he's terrible, Broyles ....cant stay healthy, Pettigrew ......give me a fn break. Bush, Bell and Fauria are solid options but Bush has olive oil on his hands and drops wayyyyy too many passes. And Fauria is still learning the game

hes been shit since 2 years ago....that's called fucking regression. I don't know what definition you guys are trying to use but go the fuck back to English class. You can show progress....or you can regress......if hes playing worse....that's the opposite of progress.....hence he has regressed. Stop fucking being dumb fucks. Stafford was a scrub this year....that's not our fault....its his and his shitty accuracy.

hes been shit since 2 years ago....that's called fucking regression. I don't know what definition you guys are trying to use but go the fuck back to English class. You can show progress....or you can regress......if hes playing worse....that's the opposite of progress.....hence he has regressed. Stop fucking being dumb fucks. Stafford was a scrub this year....that's not our fault....its his and his shitty accuracy.

But he's not playing worse!! Youre being the dumb fuck. He had a terrible second half!!! That doesnt mean he's regressed as a QB. If anything, he's plateaued and this is what we got. We take the good with the bad. He puts up a ton of yards, throws for a bunch of TDs, throws a lot of picks and takes a lot of chances. Brett Favre 2.0 ..... ill take that all day.

Tony goes back to his calling card like always..
WTF is that Tony ?
"Did he fuck you in the ass or something and never called you back? My God "...

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Tony goes back to his calling card like always..
WTF is that Tony ?
"Did he fuck you in the ass or something and never called you back? My God "...

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Lots of things are wrong with me. How much time you got? ;)

Back