Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

if he was the #2 rated C in the NFL he wouldn't have sucked every year of his career until he got warlord and Sims next to him. Anyone that thinks hes the #2 C in the league is fucking dumb and should go walk out into traffic.

That being said he was fine because Warlord should have been all pro. no reason to rock the boat and waste a high rd pick on a center this year.

could it be that he was bad because he had mediocrity on both sides of him. I'm not saying he's a hall of famer, but would Jeff Saturday have been as good as he was with the idiots detroit has had at Guard

PFF ranks him number 2. No sacks, only one penalty and better run blocking than in the past. He had a very good year. Extra weight helps and not having to cover for terrible Peterman helps too.

PFF ranks him number 2. No sacks, only one penalty and better run blocking than in the past. He had a very good year. Extra weight helps and not having to cover for terrible Peterman helps too.

This is the ranking I was referring to so go ahead and jump out into traffic hughes. And I'm not saying he is the best C or even a top 5 in the league, I've been saying this entire off season he clearly benefited from better guard play. That said I think he can keep the same level of play for at least another year while we develop Austin more or draft somebody.

Last edited:
This is the ranking I was referring to so go ahead and jump out into traffic hughes. And I'm not saying he is the best C or even a top 5 in the league, I've been saying this entire off season he clearly benefited from better guard play. That said I think he can keep the same level of play for at least another year while we develop Austin more or draft somebody.

So it's the guards? Before with Peterman next to him he sucks. But with a rookie who played great, it's Raiola? And just because be out on weight etc. The weight is just a coincidence.

So it's the guards? Before with Peterman next to him he sucks. But with a rookie who played great, it's Raiola? And just because be out on weight etc. The weight is just a coincidence.

It's not that difficult to comprehend, is it? If Raiola had to cover for Peterman as well as his own guy, Raiola is going to perform worse. When Warford was able to take care of his guy, Raiola was able to focus on just his own guy. It's a lot easier to go against one guy than it is two. I'm not saying Raiola is amazing, but he had a solid year, a year that I think he can probably replicate in 2014 since Warford and Sims will still be next to him. Paying him the veteran minimum for above average play saves us money. Plus, getting a new center would only hurt Stafford. It's very unlikely that the new center would be able to make all the calls at the line in his rookie year.

It's not that difficult to comprehend, is it? If Raiola had to cover for Peterman as well as his own guy, Raiola is going to perform worse. When Warford was able to take care of his guy, Raiola was able to focus on just his own guy. It's a lot easier to go against one guy than it is two. I'm not saying Raiola is amazing, but he had a solid year, a year that I think he can probably replicate in 2014 since Warford and Sims will still be next to him. Paying him the veteran minimum for above average play saves us money. Plus, getting a new center would only hurt Stafford. It's very unlikely that the new center would be able to make all the calls at the line in his rookie year.

Or THE RG helps Crayons fight off those DT -- ? Maybe. I do agree that Raiola would be better at calling games than a rookie. But it's not like we're a playoff team, get a guy who can grow with the other young offensive lineman.

Or THE RG helps Crayons fight off those DT -- ? Maybe. I do agree that Raiola would be better at calling games than a rookie. But it's not like we're a playoff team, get a guy who can grow with the other young offensive lineman.

If we don't feel Rodney Austin or Leroy Harris can step in for Raiola, then I WANT us to draft a center in the 2014 draft. I just don't think it's enough of a need to take one in the first 3 rounds at least. I'd prefer taking one in rounds 5-7. That way Raiola can keep the job in 2014 unless he gets injured or plays poorly. Then the center we draft can take over for him afterwards.

If we don't feel Rodney Austin or Leroy Harris can step in for Raiola, then I WANT us to draft a center in the 2014 draft. I just don't think it's enough of a need to take one in the first 3 rounds at least. I'd prefer taking one in rounds 5-7. That way Raiola can keep the job in 2014 unless he gets injured or plays poorly. Then the center we draft can take over for him afterwards.

I Don't either. I was thinking 4th round myself. I know we have other needs first but I'm hoping it's an option down the line.

Now that Xanders is as good as gone we'll be trading our 4ths for Tahir Whitehead.

Last edited:
Good overview Hughes. Becoming the draft guru. First of all lose to the Vikes and believe Watkins will be there. Second of all Barr is going to be a super stud. He'll be gong before Watkins. Third of all if BPA is back in play all those o tackles are monsters and would love any of them. Move Waddle inside and put Sims out to pasture.

Barr was being compared to John Abraham today on ESPN radio....maybe hed be a better fit as a 4-3 DE than I thought.....

We're going to get a good player at 10. Depending on how risk adverse Mayhew is that might not be a WR or CB, outside of Watkins at those positions there is no gimmes, not even Evans who is a stud no doubt. I want to see Kahlil Mack at the Senior bowl...he is another intriguing prospect.

ya he can have 1 great game due to his athleticism then get totally lost for weeks at a time...

I wanted to see him vs quality competition, looked good vs OSU, bad vs Baylor. His Senior Bowl will really go far in determining his fate. He picked up some bad habits versus the weaker competition that I don't see him getting away with against the big boys. Like his constant use of the swim move. But hey like Freeneys spin move that works for no one but him at the nfl level maybe that will be his signature.

Back