Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

my draft was done before the final gameo f the season and we can always trade down to get Denard and I was thinking of a C to eventually replace Raiola

could part of the reason y raiola was good is because he has too outstanding guards on either side for the first time?

could part of the reason y raiola was good is because he has too outstanding guards on either side for the first time?

I think having Warford next to him helped out Raiola a lot! But Raiola put on some weight and improved as well.

I think the main reason no one took your 2nd round pick seriously is because it meant putting a college guard at center. It's not that easy of a transition. You can't just put a big guy in the middle and have him hike the ball. He has to make reads and shift the protection. It's not that simple. Also, as far as I'm aware, I think we can still get a pretty good center in the 3rd or 4th round.

Fck it. I've always wanted Dom out of here, but he showed last season he can be adequate to good with decent guards next to him.... Don't waste a draft pick on a C and just bring back Dom for the vet min till the wheels fall off.

Last edited:
Fck it. I've always wanted Dom out of here, but he showed last season he can be adequate to good with decent guards next to him.... Don't waste a draft pick on a C and just bring back Dom for the vet min till the wheels fall off.

Unless Rodney Austin, a guy who was on our practice squad in 2012 and on the active roster this past season, can step in at center eventually, I'd be fine using a 4th round pick or later if there was a solid center still available. Not that he'd necessarily replace Dom immediately, but just so he could learn for a year and then take over.

Leroy Harris used to play center for titans before he moved to guard. Austin more of a guard but that could change

Leroy Harris used to play center for titans before he moved to guard. Austin more of a guard but that could change

Ok, if the Lions feel confident that Harris or Austin can play well once Raiola is gone, then we don't need to worry about drafting a center in the later rounds. But I don't know if they feel confident about that.

Updated draft order (after wild card round)

1. Houston (2-14, .559 SoS)
2. St. Louis via Washington (3-13, .516 SoS)
3. Jacksonville (4-12, .504 SoS)
4. Cleveland (4-12, .516 SoS)
5. Oakland (4-12, .523 SoS)
6. Atlanta (4-12, .553 SoS)
7. Tampa Bay (4-12, .574 SoS)
8. Minnesota (5-10-1, .512 SoS)
9. Buffalo (6-10, .520 SoS)
10. Detroit (7-9, 457 SoS)
11. Tennessee (7-9, .504 SoS)
12. NY Giants (7-9, .520 SoS)
13. St. Louis (7-9, .551 SoS)
14. Chicago (8-8, .465 SoS)
15. Pittsburgh (8-8, .469 SoS)
t16. Baltimore (8-8, .484 SoS)*
t16. Dallas (8-8, .484 SoS)*
18. NY Jets (8-8, .488 SoS)
19. Miami (8-8, .523 SoS)
20. Arizona (10-6, .516 SoS)
21. Green Bay (8-7-1, .453 SoS)
22. Philadelphia (10-6, .453 SoS)
23. Kansas City (11-5, .445 SoS)
24. Cincinnati (11-5, .480 SoS)

* - Coin Flip (source)

Last edited:

At this point, with Dom's improvement, drafting a C in the first 3 rounds would be a luxury pick. Other needs to be filled first.

Dom sucks. Best two players on the line are guards. No brainer he'd look better.

Dom sucks. Best two players on the line are guards. No brainer he'd look better.

He sucks yet is rated the #2 Center in the entire NFL.... I know you'll say it's all because of the guards but you can't say that at all.

He sucks yet is rated the #2 Center in the entire NFL.... I know you'll say it's all because of the guards but you can't say that at all.

if he was the #2 rated C in the NFL he wouldn't have sucked every year of his career until he got warlord and Sims next to him. Anyone that thinks hes the #2 C in the league is fucking dumb and should go walk out into traffic.

That being said he was fine because Warlord should have been all pro. no reason to rock the boat and waste a high rd pick on a center this year.

As shaky as Stafford was this season, I don't really think handing him a new center, let alone a rookie center, is a recipe for success. I'd be less mad if they went WR in rounds 1 and 2 than if they spent a round 2 on a center. They just went 7-9, they don't have the luxury of picking a center in round 2.

As shaky as Stafford was this season, I don't really think handing him a new center, let alone a rookie center, is a recipe for success. I'd be less mad if they went WR in rounds 1 and 2 than if they spent a round 2 on a center. They just went 7-9, they don't have the luxury of picking a center in round 2.

Agreed. Dom played well enough to not need an immediate replacement. Draft a center later in the draft. Need skill position players in the first few rounds

I'd like to see some type of stat of how Dom played against a 3-4 defense, as far as the run game goes. If there is such a thing. I can't imagine him holding his own against a big NT..

As far as sacks are concerned, we know Staff gets rid of it quick. I don't buy that Dom doesn't get beat in the middle unless he has guard help..

My guess would be he probably does call a good game. In that respect a rookie C would probably not do as well. I rather draft a C before we actually need a replacement. And I never suggested drafting one in the first two rounds, but maybe a 4th rounder.

Last edited:
Extend Dom give him another 2 even if he only plays 1. Bring in his backup this year in the draft.

Who is ranking him two? I guess he's an honorable mention on the all pro team. Nope. Number two my ass.

Updated draft order (after divisional round)

1. Houston (2-14, .559 SoS)
2. St. Louis via Washington (3-13, .516 SoS)
3. Jacksonville (4-12, .504 SoS)
4. Cleveland (4-12, .516 SoS)
5. Oakland (4-12, .523 SoS)
6. Atlanta (4-12, .553 SoS)
7. Tampa Bay (4-12, .574 SoS)
8. Minnesota (5-10-1, .512 SoS)
9. Buffalo (6-10, .520 SoS)
10. Detroit (7-9, 457 SoS)
11. Tennessee (7-9, .504 SoS)
12. NY Giants (7-9, .520 SoS)
13. St. Louis (7-9, .551 SoS)
14. Chicago (8-8, .465 SoS)
15. Pittsburgh (8-8, .469 SoS)
t16. Baltimore (8-8, .484 SoS)*
t16. Dallas (8-8, .484 SoS)*
18. NY Jets (8-8, .488 SoS)
19. Miami (8-8, .523 SoS)
20. Arizona (10-6, .516 SoS)
21. Green Bay (8-7-1, .453 SoS)
22. Philadelphia (10-6, .453 SoS)
23. Kansas City (11-5, .445 SoS)
24. Cincinnati (11-5, .480 SoS)
25. San Diego (9-7, .496 SoS)
26. Cleveland via Indianapolis (11-5, .484 SoS)
27. New Orleans (11-5, .516 SoS)
28. Carolina (12-4, .494 SoS)

* - Coin Flip (source)

Back