Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 NFC Playoff Thread

NE talented team that gets elevated by their coaching.

Pit talented team that doesn't get much from their coaching.

Det not very talented that over achieves when their qb plays well... gets nothing from their coaching. Coaches lose a couple games a year.

NE talented team that gets elevated by their coaching.

Pit talented team that doesn't get much from their coaching.

Det not very talented that over achieves when their qb plays well... gets nothing from their coaching. Coaches lose a couple games a year.

I'd say that's fair. But if the coaches cost us a couple games a year and we're still going to win nine or 10 games, I'd say the team is a little bit better than "not very talented".

I definitely agree that Caldwelll costs us games every year, though.

I kind of see Caldwell as that Rick Carlisle type guy. Brought some stability to the team, nice guy, did some OK things here and there.

Now it's time to find the guy that can elevate this team to the next level. Everyone, including Caldwell himself knows that he can't do that.

Need a guy just like Caldwell only with a nothing to lose mindset anyone like that available?

Last edited:
Caldwell doesn't bring anything to the table.

I think Caldwell is the kind of coach that gets (close to) maximum effort from players. It's really the only way to explain this team having a winning record over his tenure while being one of the worst game managing coaches I've ever seen.

I think Caldwell is the kind of coach that gets (close to) maximum effort from players. It's really the only way to explain this team having a winning record over his tenure while being one of the worst game managing coaches I've ever seen.

Then why does he have such a bad record VS above . 500 teams. Maximum effort would be winning some of those games VS better teams.

Then why does he have such a bad record VS above . 500 teams. Maximum effort would be winning some of those games VS better teams.

Actually I'd say it explains it perfectly. Generally speaking those .500+ teams have a good mix of talent and coaching, too much for an overachieving Lions team with poor game planning to beat.

You can fall behind 10-0 to the Browns and Bears because of shitty play calling and shitty preparation but still out play them in the end due to better talent. Try that shit against a team with decent coaching like the Vikings, Steelers, or Saints...teams with coaches that you'd find on most top 10 lists...and you saw what happened.

Now I'm not trying to sell you on Caldwell, I want him gone. But he's been around for as long as he has for a reason, this is just my personal rationale. I'm not in the locker room or anything. In the end,outside of a playoff win, only his termination will make me happy.

Actually I'd say it explains it perfectly. Generally speaking those .500+ teams have a good mix of talent and coaching, too much for an overachieving Lions team with poor game planning to beat.

You can fall behind 10-0 to the Browns and Bears because of shitty play calling and shitty preparation but still out play them in the end due to better talent. Try that shit against a team with decent coaching like the Vikings, Steelers, or Saints...teams with coaches that you'd find on most top 10 lists...and you saw what happened.

Now I'm not trying to sell you on Caldwell, I want him gone. But he's been around for as long as he has for a reason, this is just my personal rationale. I'm not in the locker room or anything. In the end,outside of a playoff win, only his termination will make me happy.

Fair enough.

I kind of see Caldwell as that Rick Carlisle type guy. Brought some stability to the team, nice guy, did some OK things here and there.

Now it's time to find the guy that can elevate this team to the next level. Everyone, including Caldwell himself knows that he can't do that.

We need to find footballs Larry Brown ASAP.

The sad part is that we will end up with Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia if we fire Caldwell.

I'm fine with Patricia....I want nothing to do with the guy who traded up to get Tebow. McDaniels just rides Brady's and Belicheck's coat tails.

Honestly, I'd be okay with McDaniels. There was a lot of goofy shit that was going on at Denver that I don't really think was all his fault. He deserves another shot somewhere.

At this point, I'm in the anyone else but Caldwell camp. You have no idea how any coach will do in a new situation. I'm a huge M fan, but I always reference Dantonio and MSU. He was a pretty sub-par coach before going to State, and things worked out perfect. Sometimes coaches just find the right spot.

Playoff thread and talking about a fucking coaching change. Shameful shit

Go Saints and Bucs this week.

If you don't like it, change the channel.

There's nothing more to cover about the playoffs. The breakdowns and tiebreaks have been discussed in literally every possible angle.

If you don't like it, change the channel.

There's nothing more to cover about the playoffs. The breakdowns and tiebreaks have been discussed in literally every possible angle.

You change the thread. This is the playoff thread. The thread where the Lions make the playoffs, make a run and Caldwell stays to shut your asses up

You change the thread. This is the playoff thread. The thread where the Lions make the playoffs, make a run and Caldwell stays to shut your asses up

Hopefully it will happen but it dosent hide the fact that Caldwell is just a mediocre head coach . 4-23 verses teams with a winning record. His stubborn refusal to use a fullback in short yardage situations. I hope we're all of 8 and a row and win the super bowl because this would have been a great year to make a run. So many nfc qb's are hurt . Sadly we just let the Vikings take the divison. I would sure like more energy from my head coach . A younger guy with new ideas.

Hopefully it will happen but it dosent hide the fact that Caldwell is just a mediocre head coach . 4-23 verses teams with a winning record. His stubborn refusal to use a fullback in short yardage situations. I hope we're all of 8 and a row and win the super bowl because this would have been a great year to make a run. So many nfc qb's are hurt . Sadly we just let the Vikings take the divison. I would sure like more energy from my head coach . A younger guy with new ideas.

The Lions didn't let the Vikings take the division. The Vikings are a superior team in every aspect of the game.

Back