Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Free Agency

And then we all need to wake up from our wet dreams and face reality just a tad lol. I get it, fans want the names. I wanted Butler, I wanted Poe. We got neither but we're filling in holes as best as we can. It looks like Quinn and Patricia have a plan.

Agreed. I was hoping for a few splashes myself. Now I'm pretty content to sit back, let everyone else spend their money, and see what great players are looking for jobs with not many options in the coming weeks.

Stop whining for fuck sakes. What should they have done?

Not whining. Just stating a fact.

Free agency is one area where you can improve your team. We came in with a huge weakness at the #2 CB, we did nothing to improve it. Our Dline which struggled was not improved.

Doesn't appear there is much of plan. Guess they are hoping coaching was the only issue. That or 2018 is a throw away year and we are looking to build for 2019.

There's a couple names out there i definitely would have loved to make a run at (honey badger). With that being said they took a very targeted approach and got immediate needs addressed at affordable prices.

Lb - swapped whitehead with Jones and Kennard. Jones and whitehead probably a wash and Kennard I'm sure they love for his flexibility.

Rb - signed Blount. Meh... might help our short yardage game and was cheap.

Dline - signed Sylvester Williams and Ricky Jean Francios. Hyder back healthy. Ansah back healthy?.... maybe???

Cb - signed shead and resigned Lawson. Maybe tabor steps up?

Imo the only 2 positions they haven't addressed is lg and safety. Dahl might be the lg solution but could use competition. Diggs could be the answer at safety... but that really came out of no where and was a small sample size.

No huge splashes... but they definitely addressed needs. Nice job so far with an entire draft to go.

Last edited:
There's a couple names out there i definitely would have loved to make a run at (honey badger). With that being said they took a very targeted approach and got immediate needs addressed at affordable prices.

Lb - swapped whitehead with Jones and Kennard. Jones and whitehead probably a wash and Kennard I'm sure they love for his flexibility.

Rb - signed Blount. Meh... might help our short yardage game and was cheap.

Dline - signed Sylvester Williams and Ricky Jean Francios. Hyder back healthy. Ansah back healthy?.... maybe???

Cb - signed shead and resigned Lawson. Maybe tabor steps up?

Imo the only 2 positions they haven't addressed is lg and safety. Dahl might be the lg solution but could use competition. Diggs could be the answer at safety... but that really came out of no where and was a small sample size.

No huge splashes... but they definitely addressed needs. Nice job so far with an entire draft to go.

Honey Badger signed with the Texans.

I like how they are building this team. Its going to work!!!
Now Hurst is cleared and hopfully he falls to us!!

I like how they are building this team. Its going to work!!!
Now Hurst is cleared and hopfully he falls to us!!

I'll be a lot more excited when we sign/draft a capable center or guard who can also play guard or center.

I like the way they are building the trenches, but that's till a gaping hole.

Right... just meant i would have thrown cash his way and probably at a guard too.

I'd rather have Reid, who is still out there. I don't care if he takes a knee. I don't care if he takes two knees. I don't care if he takes little kids Halloween candy. He's a baller, and could really help us out.

They seem to favor a "build from the bottom up" philosophy based on this year's signings so far, which I'm good with.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/detroit-lions/

The Blount, Willson, Williams, and RJF cap hits are still unknown, but so far they've spent about $11.8MM in new players (Kennard, Jones, Wiggins, Shead) and $7.7MM in re-signings (Lawson, Wilson, Zenner, Bellore) against the 2018 cap. You can probably add another $8-10MM for figures yet to be released.

I'd say all the signings so far (aside from Zenner) will either be starting or rotating in a fair amount, about 11 players. This will be a bit offset by their losses (Hayden, Whitehead, Ebron, Fells, Ngata, Carey, Copeland), but I think they've done enough to adequately replace many of these positions.

Certainly not flashy, but they seemed to be efficient with their available spending. They also don't have any costly commitments going forward which sets them up for free agency next year and beyond.

My favorite part of all this is that the draft is still to come, they'll be able to address positions like RB or D-line with some good rookies who won't necessarily need to be thrust into starting positions.

I'll be a lot more excited when we sign/draft a capable center or guard who can also play guard or center.

I like the way they are building the trenches, but that's till a gaping hole.

We did sign Wiggins who started 16 games for chargers last year. Granted they were looking for an upgrade at that position this off season... but he should atleast compete.

I missed a position of need. Te. Te, lg and S are still holes imo. De and lb could use upgrades.

Last edited:
We did sign Wiggins who started 16 games for chargers last year. Granted they were looking for an upgrade at that position this off season... but he should atleast compete.

I could be wrong, but I see Wiggins as a depth signing, not a starter.

https://sidelionreport.com/2018/03/21/detroit-lions-free-agency-mirrors-new-england/[/url]
Detroit Lions free agency mirrors the New England Patriots.
When it comes to signing veterans, fans need to pause and exhale.
The Detroit Lions have actually made some smart choices in free agency.
SLR

Nothing wrong with the lions FA moves so far all solid football players..Quinn is doing just fine lions moving in the right direction!

Tigers not so much, it’s the lions turn finally! Let’s do this lions!

Sylvester Williams is a nice signing for run defense and he is young. Luke Wilson a solid athletic tight end with some blocking. Up to 4th round pick Michael Roberts there too. Ansah Williams, Robinson, Hyder/Washington/Zettel plus Kennard can get it done. Quin is leaning on his last two drafts though. Decker, Robinson, Glasgow, Dahl, maybe Killebrew and Davis, Tabor, Golladay, JRM and Roberts need big to solid years.

Shead helps out in the secondary too. Can be nickel or the big safety. Wilson back is an upgrade in run defense. He missed a lot of last year. If we get Lawson from 2015/2016 we improved. Plus Tabor takes the next step. Diggs did well at safety too.

Healthier Decker, Lang, Wagner improves the Oline a lot plus a new oline coach

Marvin and Tate were only two 1,000 yard WRs in the league on same team. Golladay made some nice plays and TJ Jones is very capable experienced 4th WR

Blount is a clear upgrade and Tion Green showed some things too. Abdullah one last chance. Riddick a receiving threat

Draft can fill some remaining holes for the future of Dline and LG.

Dahl, Wiggins and rookie 3rd round LG is very sufficient with what surrounds them especially

Round 1 DE and 2nd round DT would do wonders for this team too.

Ansah, Robinson, Williams, 2nd round DT, Hyder/1st round DE/Zettel/Washington. That would be a great Dline on paper. And have 3-4 ability as Robinson, Williams, Washington all have experience there. Even Ansah in college as a rush LB. Plus Kennard.

Last edited:
Not whining. Just stating a fact.

Free agency is one area where you can improve your team. We came in with a huge weakness at the #2 CB, we did nothing to improve it. Our Dline which struggled was not improved.

Doesn't appear there is much of plan. Guess they are hoping coaching was the only issue. That or 2018 is a throw away year and we are looking to build for 2019.

Not much of a plan?! Do your homework bro lol. The LB (Jones) they picked up, was #1 against the run last yr. I read that he missed one tackle all yr. The CB/S (Shead) they brought in will immediately contribute or possibly start. Two yrs ago he was the #1 CB against the run. He's a hybrid player. We should see him lined up all over the field. Also, Kennard and Jones will line up more on the line. Especially Kennard because of his experience at DE. Then they snagged Sly Williams who will probably start or at worst be a rotational guy. Know what all these players do? They play the run well. Have you see the RBs in the North? Cook, Howard, Williams and Jones, Cohen...etc etc. PLAN - STOP THE RUN!
Our run game has been atricious, right? Right! They bring in a back-to-back SB champion who immediately makes our run game better. Is Blount a stud? Not really but he brings a toughness and an attitude to that RB room like no other.
Then they went out and picked up some depth on the OLine. Maybe even a starter with Wiggins at Guard. Wilson is TE depth and RJF is more depth.
So don't sit here and tell me there's no plan when clearly it's in front of our faces what type of players they're bringing in. Patricia and Quinn are no idiots. Can't wait for the draft

Last edited:
Back