Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Free Agency

You and me both!

Camp bodies don't make that money. only workout bonuses. Got to be on roster to get paid full contract. Practice squad is less. Not on roster means almost no pay

Camp bodies don't make that money. only workout bonuses. Got to be on roster to get paid full contract. Practice squad is less. Not on roster means almost no pay

Do they make more than a 100 bucks? Worth it.

They get paid quite a little bit compared to the average American worker, plus they have contract buyouts for injuries, etc...

To get paid more than the average Blue Collar Joe to play football is the dream of every football fan.

A six million dollar cap savings and what I see as no real demonstrable drop in production from Ebron. I kind of like this signing.

A six million dollar cap savings and what I see as no real demonstrable drop in production from Ebron. I kind of like this signing.

I love it.....I think Willson is a bit better overall TE than Ebron. Slightly better blocker. Athletic. Good hands.

According to Rapoport, Ricky Jean-Francois is on our radar:

Another #Patriots and #Lions connection: Detroit is working on a deal for former NE DT Ricky Jean-Francois, source said. Will add depth.

Lions also bringing in Hankins, Allan Branch, and Sylvester Williams for visits.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/976458010653609984

According to Rapoport, Ricky Jean-Francois is on our radar:

Another #Patriots and #Lions connection: Detroit is working on a deal for former NE DT Ricky Jean-Francois, source said. Will add depth.

Lions also bringing in Hankins, Allan Branch, and Sylvester Williams for visits.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/976458010653609984

Hope we hit home runs in the draft.....we have struck out so far in free agency. Some depth, but little else.

Hope we hit home runs in the draft.....we have struck out so far in free agency. Some depth, but little else.

Struck out? According to who? They have signed some good quality football players bro. So far all the players they have acquired, should contribute immediately. Just because they're not breaking the bank, that doesn't mean they have "struck out".

Struck out? According to who? They have signed some good quality football players bro. So far all the players they have acquired, should contribute immediately. Just because they're not breaking the bank, that doesn't mean they have "struck out".

I think in comparison to what people thought could happen, what has happened has been a swing and a miss.

People thought there was a shot at Richard Sherman. In comparison, Deshawn Shead is a whiff. Same for Malcolm Butler.

People thought there was a shot at Jimmy Graham. The perception (I disagree) is that Luke Wilson is a far cry.. another swing and a miss.

People were hoping for Dontari Poe. We didn't even keep Ngata. If we do land a Hankins or Sly Williams, it will help, but Poe still would have been the home run.

I think the guys we've signed have been good versatile picks. It's the guys we haven't signed that has fans down.

But I also recognize that we're currently in the running for some of these guys because we waited out Free Agency, let other teams pop their load, and now we're sitting back with a nice bankroll waiting for the late cuts to happen.

Lots of time between now and the draft, and then there is June 1... and we have room to spend.

I agree. Just because we didn't spend a ton of money 1-2 free agents doesn't mean we struck out. Depth is as important as starters. No team has the same starters for game one as they do game 16.

I like Quinn's philosophy. Build the studs through the draft and quality starters and depth through free agency.

We lost Ngata, Whitehead and Ebron. Ngata is getting old and unreliable to play. White head was a 2 down LB. Good but not great. Ebron is a headcase with bad hands.

If we get Hankins, we lose nothing from Ngata. Actually probably better at this point in Ngata's career. Kennard is better all round than Whitehead. Willson has better hands than Ebron and is a better blocker. No way can he be the headcase that Ebron is.

Plus we still have the draft. Our team will be better in 2018 than we were in 2017. Will our record show it??? We shall see.

Quinn and Patricia won't be signing big name FA's. Like they said, more 2nd and 3rd tier players, this adds depth to positions that were lacking at so many positions. Spread the money around, depth of players who will fit the scheme they plan on using.
imo, they see how they do this upcoming season, the following year more of the same, and then should be rolling 2020. just my 2 cents with the little I know.

Quinn said they were not going to make a big splash in FA and so far they have stuck to that. They put feelers out on the big name free agents but were not willing to spend the money. We played most of the year without Ngata, he is now a year older and who knows if he would have stayed healthy. Ebron's production can be made up by Wilson and hopefully more playing time for Golladay.

DT Ricky Jean-Francois tells me he is signing with the Lions. @RapSheet first on the news. RJF grades out well per @PFF. Good move for DETROIT.
SchultzReport

We started free agency as the third best team in the division, we appear to be staying there.

Last edited:
I think in comparison to what people thought could happen, what has happened has been a swing and a miss.

People thought there was a shot at Richard Sherman. In comparison, Deshawn Shead is a whiff. Same for Malcolm Butler.

People thought there was a shot at Jimmy Graham. The perception (I disagree) is that Luke Wilson is a far cry.. another swing and a miss.

People were hoping for Dontari Poe. We didn't even keep Ngata. If we do land a Hankins or Sly Williams, it will help, but Poe still would have been the home run.

I think the guys we've signed have been good versatile picks. It's the guys we haven't signed that has fans down.

But I also recognize that we're currently in the running for some of these guys because we waited out Free Agency, let other teams pop their load, and now we're sitting back with a nice bankroll waiting for the late cuts to happen.

Lots of time between now and the draft, and then there is June 1... and we have room to spend.

And then we all need to wake up from our wet dreams and face reality just a tad lol. I get it, fans want the names. I wanted Butler, I wanted Poe. We got neither but we're filling in holes as best as we can. It looks like Quinn and Patricia have a plan.

Back