Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2018 Free Agency

Not much of a plan?! Do your homework bro lol. The LB (Jones) they picked up, was #1 against the run last yr. I read that he missed one tackle all yr. The CB/S (Shead) they brought in will immediately contribute or possibly start. Two yrs ago he was the #1 CB against the run. He's a hybrid player. We should see him lined up all over the field. Also, Kennard and Jones will line up more on the line. Especially Kennard because of his experience at DE. Then they snagged Sly Williams who will probably start or at worst be a rotational guy. Know what all these players do? They play the run well. Have you see the RBs in the North? Cook, Howard, Williams and Jones, Cohen...etc etc. PLAN - STOP THE RUN!
Our run game has been atricious, right? Right! They bring in a back-to-back SB champion who immediately makes our run game better. Is Blount a stud? Not really but he brings a toughness and an attitude to that RB room like no other.
Then they went out and picked up some depth on the OLine. Maybe even a starter with Wiggins at Guard. Wilson is TE depth and RJF is more depth.
So don't sit here and tell me there's no plan when clearly it's in front of our faces what type of players they're bringing in. Patricia and Quinn are no idiots. Can't wait for the draft

I usually don’t disagree with you. But you were one of the biggest supporters of last years depth shitfest. Explain to me, out of all the free agents we signed last year.. which had a true impact on the team and it’s position group got better?

Last edited:
I usually don’t disagree with you. But you were one of the biggest supporters of last years depth shitfest. Explain to me, out of all the free agents we signed last year.. which had a true impact on the team and it’s position group got better?

Oh boy, a test!!! Lol. Nobody we brought in last yr did anything. So what? Does that mean as an organization they should stop bringing in depth? Depth is depth for a reason. Players get hurt all the time. RJF is nice depth, Wiggins is depth that could end up starting, Wilson is depth at TE (even tho i'm not a fan of the move), Williams will probably start, Blount will contribute immediately, Shead is nice depth as well. Kennard and Jones will start as well. So, the Lions are looking at 3-4 starters off the hop. That's not good enough? And we still got the fkn draft!!

Last edited:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/1/1...awks-film-breakdown-wild-card-weekend-falcons

"The Seattle Seahawks running game revival on Saturday night against the Detroit Lions can?t be pinned to just one thing. There was vast improvement by the offensive line which, while they still leaked pressure occasionally, mostly dominated a rather toothless Lions defensive front. Then there was Thomas Rawls, who looked as fresh and explosive as he has since the Week 13 victory over the Carolina Panthers. And then there was the usage of Luke Willson, who saw the second most single-game snaps of his season, and was dominant as a blocker in the run game.

Willson?s 44 snaps - 60-percent of the offense?s time on the field - led Seahawks tight ends, marking the first time since Week 3 that he?s out-snapped Jimmy Graham. But both he and Graham had terrific games at the line of scrimmage. Willson helped spring some of Rawls? best runs of the night, and Graham was no slouch himself, creating great push on Rawls? touchdown."

Part of an article from last season..... Dominated us in run blocking and hopefully will help revamp ours this upcoming season....

In a surprise move, the Lions have signed former #2 overall pick Ndamukong Suh to a three year contract worth $52mm with incentives.

Made ya look. ;)

I missed a position of need. Te. Te, lg and S are still holes imo. De and lb could use upgrades.

Free agents at positions of need

Guard luke joekel
TE Julius Thomas
3-4 lbs kony ealy and Courtney Upshaw
Safety kenny vaccarro
CB DRC

Free agents at positions of need

Guard luke joekel
TE Julius Thomas
3-4 lbs kony ealy and Courtney Upshaw
Safety kenny vaccarro
CB DRC

I'd be okay taking a look at Ealy or Upshaw. Joekel is a bust. Thomas had one good year and cashed in, and props to him... but I don't want him repeating it on our dime.

Vaccarro is a guy I wouldn't mind, but I still prefer Reid.

Lions add LB Jonathan Freeny on a two year deal. More depth I guess.

Reeves mabin, bellore, zettel, c washington all solid depth. Diggs became good safety depth once they moved him. Tabor eventually showed his value as depth. Spence is fine depth but had to play way too many games with ngata hurt week 5. Ledbetter showed some things at dt too but hit rookie wall

Worrilow, Hayden failed. Gone. G robinson big fail

Mihalik and corey robinson had some success. We need decker and wagner in nfl for success. Dahl good depth but got hurt. Glasgow was good center depth moving from lg to c when swanson hurt

Tj jones stepped up for golladay. Fells stepped up early until ebron got it together. Tion green was depth used too late

The depth was there with a few failures

One DE out and best DE hurt most of year. Good DT out early in Ngata. Nobody has full Dline depth

LT,RT,RG,Center and all backup guards hurt. And Corey Robinson was PUP. Nobody has full Oline depth

Eagles, Pats, Vikings all toast if that happened to them. In fact, just look at Vikings Oline injuries in 2016 and they went 8-8 with that defense and Bradford 2016 having a better QBR than Keenum. Perfect example

Last edited:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/03/lions_continue_to_stockpile_li.html#incart_river_index
Lions continue to stockpile linebackers with ex-Patriot Jonathan Freeny.
Mlive

https://detroitjockcity.com/2018/03/26/detroit-lions-jonathan-freeny/
Who is the Detroit Lions new linebacker Jonathan Freeny?
DJC

http://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-li...b-jonathan-freeny-familiar-with-matt-patricia
Detroit Lions' 2018 free agency: LB Jonathan Freeny brings familiarity with Matt Patricia.
espn

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/26/detroit-lions-sign-lb-jonathan-freeny/
Instant analysis of Lions signing LB Jonathan Freeny.
LionsWire

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZObXW8X0AASKE2.jpg
New #Lions LB Jonathan Freeny is a FULL QIB qualifier, very nice overall RAS score.

Last edited:
Back