Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

depends on how you look at it. If the goal is to put a patch work team together for 2021, a team that MIGHT get to 6 or 7 wins, then it's a good contract for 2021. If your goal is to be a true contender in 2022 & 2023, it's not that great of a deal because you are pushing all of the money to those years.

There is definitely some truth to that. I just think with the cap drop I think almost every team that didn't have an abundance of cap space have had to do the same thing. With the cap drop and what 45mil? in dead money we have to make some sacrifices to field a roster.

Cap rise and allows more carryover. Its team friendly and has incentives and voidable year

Most importantly we retained a GOOD pass rusher at only 13 per

Detroit offered the same money... not about money. It's about not being here.

We're lucky he said no. If Detroit would have offered 4 years 80m he'd be here, trust that. It was about money. Why go to the Giants?

18 per. Lions getting a 2022 3rd round com pick. Sitting out worked out for him and Lions

Giants starting QB Jones just got himself more help in Golladay so their offense should improve somewhat at least. Not so much for Goff here, but the Lions don't have anything like the ruthlessly relentless NYC sports media to deal with.

Dan Campbell, free agent signings hint at radical change for what the Lions want in WRs. ?(Goff?s) job is to make the right decisions, put the ball on the receivers, give them a chance to make a play and our receivers? job is to freaking get open and separate. And if the ball hits your hands, you better find a way to come down with it,? Campbell said.

Something Golladay was the worst at. If that's the philosophy of his, and I agree.. Its easy to see why they didn't tag him.

Desmond Trufant to Bears after they cut Kyle Fuller. Will be interesting to see how that pans out

I was honestly shocked they kept him and this makes much more sense. My guess is their LB coach from Chicago vouched for this guy. Also technically he can make all that money back via 250k per game roster bonuses.

How does he get those 'in game' bonuses? That's 4 mill.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/nick-williams-agreed-to-pay-cut-with-lions/

This front office is killing it..keep nick williams but big pay cut for 3 million in space

All they did is push any money that he makes this year to next year. If he stays on the Lions for the entire year he still makes the same $4M...it will all count towards next year's cap.

My guess is that they told him that he had 2 choices. They cut him or he can still make his $4M but it will be on a per game basis.

Back