Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

43 mil in dead money is why we are against cap
That is counting draft allocation. 3 or 4 mil under still

Just cleared 15 mil this year by restructuring Goff

Well then that pretty much guarantees his spot in 2022. I don't think it is a crippling move, but if they are not right about Goff then they could get themselves in some trouble. I wonder why they decided to do this is there a couple big moves coming?

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...re-jared-goff-contract-details-2021-cap-space

Yep Goff is here for 2 years at least. 10 dead now to cut him in 2023

The dead cap in 2023 doesn't bother me much, the cap will be crazy high by then and if we are moving on then that means we have a rookie QB contract. What this does for sure is locks him in to 2022 as it would be 30.5mil dead money to cut him.

I bet something big is in the works like a trade for a guy a team can't keep because of money .

I'm okay with him being here 2 years. If they like a QB in the '22 draft he can sit for a year. Or draft one in 2023.

The dead cap in 2023 doesn't bother me much, the cap will be crazy high by then and if we are moving on then that means we have a rookie QB contract. What this does for sure is locks him in to 2022 as it would be 30.5mil dead money to cut him.

I bet something big is in the works like a trade for a guy a team can't keep because of money .

Doesn't necessarily lock him into 2022. If they trade him and a team takes on his 15 million roster bonus in 2022 and his 5 million base salary, Lions would only have a 15 million dead cap hit from the restructure and new team would have a 20 million cap number for 2022 for Goff.

Or June 1 cap cut, spread the 30 million over 2022 and 2023. 15 and 15 each year.

Goff still cutable or tradeable next season. But I think they keep him 2 years anyway. Especially if they don't draft a QB in this draft.

Doesn't necessarily lock him into 2022. If they trade him and a team takes on his 15 million roster bonus in 2022 and his 5 million base salary, Lions would only have a 15 million dead cap hit from the restructure and new team would have a 20 million cap number for 2022 for Goff.

Or June 1 cap cut, spread the 30 million over 2022 and 2023. 15 and 15 each year.

Goff still cutable or tradeable next season. But I think they keep him 2 years anyway. Especially if they don't draft a QB in this draft.

That would only happen if he absolutely tanks this year like Wentz did. IMO it makes it highly highly unlikely anything happens with him in 2022 outside of him playing for the Detroit Lions.

I remember those shit years in the early years of Staff yet people thinks he's so awesome. Don't see why Goff couldn't turn it around. Staff had much worse years than Goff ever did. '12-14 come to mind.

Well then that pretty much guarantees his spot in 2022. I don't think it is a crippling move, but if they are not right about Goff then they could get themselves in some trouble. I wonder why they decided to do this is there a couple big moves coming?

Cause they only had 2 million in space after rookies and still need a starter at S, LB, LB, WR, CB and depth on the oline. My guess is Kwon Alexander and a safety??? Any other guesses out there?

Last edited:
Cause they only had 2 million in space after rookies and still need a starter at S, LB, LB, WR, CB and depth on the oline. My guess is Kwon Alexander and a safety??? Any other guesses out there?

Any Rams looking for jobs, that's my guess.

I hear Washington Football team, always funny to me, is considering keeping it WFT.

Anzalone, De'Vondre Campbell are both solid options that would give us a big boost in athleticism at the LB position.

Avery Williamson would likely be a bit on the expensive side, but is a good LBer. Alexander would be a solid option, too.

There are a TON of solid/ok/unspectacular CB's that can be one year fill ins available......the list is long. Butler, Nelson, Skreen, Alexander, Conley, Breeland, Dennard, Nickerson, Elder.........I like a guy like Nelson, Nickerson or Elder.....all around 27 that are in their prime and if they somehow manage to play well, could be here more than a year.

Last edited:
Lions signed LB Alex Anzalone, formerly of the Saints, to a one-year contract.
After letting Jarrad Davis and Christian Jones walk in free agency, new DC Aaron Glenn gets Anzalone in the mix after the two were together in New Orleans. Anzalone, 26, started nine of the 16 games he appeared in last season and handled 50% of the defensive snaps.

Lions signed Anazlone. 1 year 1.75 mil

Nice depth option who is more of a nickel backer. Doesn't really move the needle much as far as the draft is concerned as we still need two starting LB'ers, IMO.

Back