Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

Either way he showed some pass rushing juice in Chicago in 2019. Hopefully he just got caught up in the Patricia disaster and can still be a solid nickel rusher. Either way at this price point I think it is worth a shot.

All they did is push any money that he makes this year to next year. If he stays on the Lions for the entire year he still makes the same $4M...it will all count towards next year's cap.

My guess is that they told him that he had 2 choices. They cut him or he can still make his $4M but it will be on a per game basis.

And with only $500,000 in guaranteed money, if they cut him or draft his replacement.....he's easily cut without much thought.

Better have a good camp, Mr. Williams.

Matt Maiocco (MaioccoNBCS)
#49ers free-agent nickel back K’Waun Williams has drawn interest from, of course, S.F. and #Jets, as well as the Chiefs. He also is drawing interest from the #Lions, source says. He could be going to Detroit for a visit, but that is not yet confirmed.
12:36 PM - 22 Mar 2021 469 89

NFL Rumors (nflrums) 1
#Lions are also working on a visit with #49ers CB K'Waun Williams per report #NFL #nflrumors #Detroit

Him, Brian Poole, and Nickel Robey Coleman are the three guys under 30 who will come at a reasonable price who I want to compete for the nickel CB job. He would make an excellent signing for us, IMO.

# Richard Sherman, K'Waun Williams were PFF's highest-graded CB duo

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/08/49ers-pff-richard-sherman-kwaun-williams/

### 14. [K'WAUN WILLIAMS](https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/kwaun-williams/9332), [SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS](https://www.pff.com/nfl/teams/san-francisco-49ers/28)

A true slot/nickel cornerback, Williams plays well through the heavy traffic that is inherent to the position, and he has excellent field awareness that allows him to react well to screens and completions in the flat area. Mostly a zone defender in nickel, Williams has read the patterns of route combinations well enough to hold opposing offenses to the lowest average depth of target (3.8) among all cornerbacks who played at least 300 coverage snaps in 2019. He's allowed just 8.1 yards per reception all year long — second among qualifying players at the position — while giving up only 18 first-down receptions across his 60 targets. Along with Richard Sherman, Williams has been a stabilizing force in the 49ers' secondary and has far exceeded the below-average performance of fellow perimeter corners [Emmanuel Moseley](https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/emmanuel-moseley/50430) (68.0 coverage grade) and [Ahkello Witherspoon](https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/ahkello-witherspoon/11821) (63.5).

If we could add him and Kazee I think our secondary could have some promise. Our nickel defense

CB1 Okudah

CB 2 Amani

CB 3 Williams

S Walker

S Kazee

There is a lot of projections going on there with those guys, but there is quite a bit of upside as well. The depth behind them would still need a lot of improvement also.

If we could add him and Kazee I think our secondary could have some promise. Our nickel defense

CB1 Okudah

CB 2 Amani

CB 3 Williams

S Walker

S Kazee

There is a lot of projections going on there with those guys, but there is quite a bit of upside as well. The depth behind them would still need a lot of improvement also.

Solid dline and solid secondary then..draft for wr and linebacker then but still day 2 dt and day 2 safety

Solid dline and solid secondary then..draft for wr and linebacker then but still day 2 dt and day 2 safety

Unfortunately there are not many good options at LB'er in free agency. You have guys like Kwon Alexander, Anzalone, L.J. Fort, Craig Robertson, Todd Davis, Deone Bucannon, Avery Williamson, and Vince Williams. You also have Reuben Foster who has had a long list of issues off the field.

None of those guys are for sure starters and each have their own list of concerns. My guess is we might sign one of those guys, but we need to come away with two decent option at LB'er in the draft. Maybe Holmes has something up his sleeve as far as a trade for a guy for a mid to late round pick that will come out of nowhere, but like DT the options are limited this year.

I think I may be falling into the trap as far as optimism this year. I just really like the moves they are making so far so improve this team. Only signing I thought was just blah is Tim Boyle, but if you check out the Packers fans reactions they are genuinely upset he is gone.

In the first three weeks of the preseason, the 24-year old quarterback has delivered with 358 yards, five touchdowns, and no interceptions. After seeing his stats, it's no surprise that he's been the highest-graded player on the team this preseason

He could wind up being a decent #2 and is probably an upgrade on Chase Daniel who was pathetic is relief last year.

If the coaching staff can be as good as they have been hyped up to be, could they be a tough out this year? Minnesota and Chicago are not anything to be worried about and an injury to Rodgers puts them in the same boat.

Maybe it is the slappy in me, but with a few more shrewd signings in FA and a solid draft we might be in position to be mediocre. Obviously Jared Goff is going to be the main component of what this team will do this year and we would need a very good year out of him to even be mediocre, IMO.

We need so many LB. That and a S and I'll feel really good.

Agreed. Problem is we have Collins who should be a decent enough player and that is pretty much it. Maybe Reeves Mabin can be a package player like a nickel LB'er, but even if that happens we have nothing else. Not sure if Julian is going to stand up some so maybe he factors in there too, but at minimum we need two LB'ers in the draft and probably need drafted in the top 4 rounds.

Last edited:
We need so many LB. That and a S and I'll feel really good.

Need a playmaking WR. Williams and Perriman are fine...but they wont get open consistently.

LB is brutal. Need 2 of them.

We have 0 corner depth. We cant even field 3 cbs right now without putting Mike Ford on the field lol.

Starting safety needed badly.

Upgrades at RG and RT needed badly.

Seriously how the fuck is this team over the cap when we have 0 talent? lol

Im leaning Waddle over Parsons right now:

1) Waddle WR
2) Cox LB
3) Cisco S
3b) Best cb on the board
4) Best LB on the board

I really hope this is the year we trade back. Get an extra 2nd or 3rd.

Need a playmaking WR. Williams and Perriman are fine...but they wont get open consistently.

We have 0 corner depth. We cant even field 3 cbs right now without putting Mike Ford on the field lol.

1) Waddle WR
2) Cox LB
3) Cisco S
3b) Best cb on the board
4) Best LB on the board

If we stay at 7 I'm warming to the idea we get a WR. Just not enough top defensive guys rated that high.

1) Waddle WR
2) Cox LB
3) Cisco S
3b) Best cb on the board
4) Best LB on the board

I agree with most of what you said. I do think Mike Ford is decent depth and wouldn't be mad if he is our #4 CB. He always acquitted himself well when he was forced into action. I also think Vatai is a lock to start in 2021. Campbell signaled him out as a player he liked and we have too much money committed for him to ride the bench good or bad.

Back