Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 NFL Draft Weekend Thread

Campbell is a day 1 starter. Bigger LB who will immediately improve the run D while being an ok zone defender. Don't care what anyone thinks.....Campbell will struggle in space playing m2m coverage in the NFL.

Your pre-draft take

I'm torn on Campbell.

He is a 2 down LB AT BEST. If this was 1993 he would be a 1st round pick......but he is a 6'5" 253 LB downhill LB with very limited coverage ability. He will get eaten alive if asked to cover shiftier RB's out of the backfield. He is not what a defensive coordinator is hoping for in a MLB in 2023.

However, he instantly upgrades the short yardage situations, special teams coverage units and just the run defense in general. Good zone defender, too. If you do get him in the 3rd it's a solid value for someone who can come in and really upgrade certain parts of your scheme.

I think your initial take on Campbell is correct. A solid value in the 3rd round. This was a terrible pick by the Lions.

3.2 cap hit for Gibbs this year. Save 1.8 million when they trade Swift

Financially its still cheap even at pick 12 for Gibbs

If another team say Chicago or GB drafted Gibbs at 12 and Campbell at 18 you'd all say it was a horseshoe draft so far..

Your pre-draft take

I think your initial take on Campbell is correct. A solid value in the 3rd round. This was a terrible pick by the Lions.

Ultimately we'll find out if he can play or not, but from the article TigerMud posted....

His relative athletic score of 9.98 out of 10 ranked No. 6 out of 2,652 linebackers to test since 1987. He was both a captain and All-American in college and not only was he named the Dick Butkus Award winner as the nation's top linebacker, but the William Campbell trophy recipient, which is also known as the academic Heisman.

"The athlete, everybody sees that, that?s stuff I don?t try to dive too deep it because its speaks for itself, it?s exceptional what this player can do at his size," Sheppard said. "The thing that jumps him above some other guys in my opinion is his passion for the game. The way it drives him. You see it, he speaks it, he lives it.

"He is a Detroit guy, he is a Dan Campbell guy, he is a culture fit immediately."

I'm not a huge fan of the Lions 1st round choices, I hope I'm wrong. 1st round RB and ILB just feels like very 1990s football type moves.

However, some of the rage I'm reading in this thread is almost entirely based on preconceived notions due to mock drafts from writers with much less access to information than the 32 front offices have.

"They would've been there at 34." Really? If they'd have chose Joey Porter Jr or Brian Branch, nobody would be making that argument because of where they went in Mel Kiper's mock draft. But they're still on the board, along with several other players that many had going in the 1st.

If you don't like a player, great, everyone has an opinion. But to be so matter of fact about who would or wouldn't be on the board in the next round is wild to me.

One of the things I saw hit the head for me "he's good but he's a RB."

Ultimately we'll find out if he can play or not, but from the article TigerMud posted....

His relative athletic score of 9.98 out of 10 ranked No. 6 out of 2,652 linebackers to test since 1987. He was both a captain and All-American in college and not only was he named the Dick Butkus Award winner as the nation's top linebacker, but the William Campbell trophy recipient, which is also known as the academic Heisman.

"The athlete, everybody sees that, that?s stuff I don?t try to dive too deep it because its speaks for itself, it?s exceptional what this player can do at his size," Sheppard said. "The thing that jumps him above some other guys in my opinion is his passion for the game. The way it drives him. You see it, he speaks it, he lives it.

"He is a Detroit guy, he is a Dan Campbell guy, he is a culture fit immediately."

This all may be true, or may not be true. The thing that really makes it a terrible pick is where they took him. He would have been a reach in the second round...but at 18?

Looks like Mazi Smith went to the Cowboys.

That?s probably a good destination for him; those people in Texas, they love their guns.

Listening to some shows and they had one thought.
The Oc of Alabama used Gibbs a lot. Isn?t he at New England now?

As soon as we took Gibbs they traded the pick they had right behind us.

Maybe NE was taking Gibbs. Idk. I?m trying to justify the pick.

I hope he is Barry sanders. I heard he does everything pretty well
Block, catch, cut , ect, ect. Sure hope he is with the Lions for years to come.

Last edited:
I miss and moan about the Lions because they gave me Barry Sanders and nothing else ..

Calvin was pretty good to. I have a shit ton card collection of him. smaller ton of Barry also not nearly as much.

Last edited:
Back