Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 NFL Draft Weekend Thread

I think they're both picked high as well, but I like both players and Brad said both were BPA on their board. I've seen Campbell mocked as high as first round and as low as early 3rd. All depends on the pov i think.

My only knocks on Campbell are that he went to Iowa and only runs a 4.65 40. Aside from that, his other drills were top of the LB class, even those measuring quickness. He's also the best pass defending LB in the draft. Could be a huge win for us.

I think we got 2 guys that immediately help this team. Neither will be superstars......and no matter what Holmes/DC say.....I think they panicked a bit when Seattle took Witherspoon and NE took Christian Gonzalez with the pics immediately before ours. So, they made sure they got the guys they wanted even if it meant taking them higher than expected.

That being said, it doesn't mean they aren't good players and won't help this team.

Campbell is a day 1 starter. Bigger LB who will immediately improve the run D while being an ok zone defender. Don't care what anyone thinks.....Campbell will struggle in space playing m2m coverage in the NFL.

Gibbs has elite athleticism and is a home run threat. It's important to have those guys on the field..... they can dictate the defensive coverages just with their presence. Eventually, JMo will be back.....and we can line up JMO, ASB, Gibbs, Swift and Marvin Jones.....with a good O Line. That's a tough cover for any defense.

It's an offensive game and we got, maybe, the 2nd best offensive skill player in the draft. We have 3 picks today and there is still some really good defensive talent out there. Kelee Ringo is a guy who was once thought of as the best DB in college. Still there.

Brian Branch
Joey Porter Jr.
Cam Smith
Antonio Johnson (WOULD LOVE THIS PICK)

BJ Ojulari
Keion White

Hendon Hooker
Will Levis.

A TON of talent still on the board. Could still be a VERY VERY good draft for the Lions.

Last edited:
The biggest needs for this team IMO were LB, OG, DT, and TE. But you don't usually have to draft a MLB at 18 to get the one you want. S and CB are not needs right now, you just picked up 2 starting CBs in FA, and a starting S/Nickel. Walker also is coming back at S and maybe he's ahead of schedule. The idea we needed DBs at all in the draft was off IMO.

That eing said, Deion Branch at 34 is a good pick, he's a nickel/CB Tweener with elite speed.

The biggest needs for this team IMO were LB, OG, DT, and TE. But you don't usually have to draft a MLB at 18 to get the one you want. S and CB are not needs right now, you just picked up 2 starting CBs in FA, and a starting S/Nickel. Walker also is coming back at S and maybe he's ahead of schedule. The idea we needed DBs at all in the draft was off IMO.

That eing said, Deion Branch at 34 is a good pick, he's a nickel/CB Tweener with elite speed.

If we came out of day 2 with Branch/Johnson, Keion White/Ojulari and Hooker/Levis I would consider this a very good draft.

Also, Jayden Reed. WR. MSU. Runs really good routes, a full route tree and ran a 4.45 at the combine.

Always interesting how value in mocks compare to the actual draft.

For example, the Lions could potentially take Porter at 34, had they taken him at 12 (though probably questionable over Gonzalez), Gibbs at 18, and Campbell at 34, fans & ?experts? would probably view this draft a bit more favorably.

As for whether these players could have been had later in the draft, Holmes quickly dismissed that idea. The Lions general manager said they thought about waiting until Pick 18 to grab Gibbs, but they didn?t feel good about their chances. When they decided to take Gibbs at 12, that?s when the texts from other teams came in, confirming to Holmes that he wouldn?t have made it six picks later.

Gibbs wouldn't have made it to 18

I think they're both picked high as well, but I like both players and Brad said both were BPA on their board. I've seen Campbell mocked as high as first round and as low as early 3rd. All depends on the pov i think.

My only knocks on Campbell are that he went to Iowa and only runs a 4.65 40. Aside from that, his other drills were top of the LB class, even those measuring quickness. He's also the best pass defending LB in the draft. Could be a huge win for us.
LB doesn't bother me as much its the RB. A non starter at 12..

FIFY

You could have given me 10 guesses.......even AFTER pick 11 was made....... and I don't think I would have mentioned Gibbs.

Gibbs was probably my favorite player in the draft after will Anderson. I just had no idea we were in the market to take one. 34 would have been a steal. 12 is a little high.... no biggie if you got the guy you wanted.

LB doesn't bother me as much its the RB. A non starter at 12..

I?d look at it more as a playmaker at 12. I think it?s been pretty clear the last two years that we are are a much better team, offensively, with Swift on the field than we are when he is injured. Montgomery is a nice upgrade over Williams, but now we have another playmaker to add. That?s not a bad thing.

Gibbs was probably my favorite player in the draft after will Anderson. I just had no idea we were in the market to take one. 34 would have been a steal. 12 is a little high.... no biggie if you got the guy you wanted.
12 is a lotta high. And we didn't need one.

I?d look at it more as a playmaker at 12. I think it?s been pretty clear the last two years that we are are a much better team, offensively, with Swift on the field than we are when he is injured. Montgomery is a nice upgrade over Williams, but now we have another playmaker to add. That?s not a bad thing.
So there's no playmakers in the 2nd round?

Swift wants to be traded. My guess is we get a 4 5 or 6 round pick for him if we are lucky. Did Homes gets schooled by other gm?s last night ?
Just curious what everyone thinks. Gibbs may turn out to be great. We all sure hope so but everyone thinks Gibbs was picked to high.

The pick does mean Swift days as a Lion are probably done.

Last edited:
Day 2 targets I like
Hendon Hooker
Mayer/Musgrave/Washington TE
Antonio Johnson S
Cedric Tillman WR
Ocyrus Torrance G

McShay was making fun of himself at the end of the night. He said he got 5 picks correct.

Back