Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

Calvin will wish he had played one more year when he's watching the lions in the super bowl next year!

Spend all that cap space wisely Quinn, fix the oline then fix it some more!

Maybe he can come out of retirement for the playoffs.

I've always wondered about that... not in this case specifically, but in general.

Let's say a guy announces his retirement in March. It frees up $10Mm in cap space. His team spends it.

The guy informs his team in October that he wants to come back.

His joining the team would push them roughly $7Mm over the cap.. the prorated portion of their game salary.

What happens at that point. There really is NO team that deep into the season with that kind of money just sitting around. Does that money get applied to a future year. Does the team have to create that kind of space or release the player... what?

Looks like there was an agreement in place behind the scenes to allow Calvin to keep the signing bonus under the agreement that he retire prior to the start of free agency, and remain retired to avoid surprise cap hits later.

According to reports, he is now contractually obligated to remain retired at a sum of $3.2Mm.

No way he would have agreed to that if he wasn't 100% serious about his playing days being over. This had to be a health issue.

Looks like there was an agreement in place behind the scenes to allow Calvin to keep the signing bonus under the agreement that he retire prior to the start of free agency, and remain retired to avoid surprise cap hits later.

According to reports, he is now contractually obligated to remain retired at a sum of $3.2Mm.

No way he would have agreed to that if he wasn't 100% serious about his playing days being over. This had to be a health issue.

This was 100% about health. CJ had every opportunity to force his way out if he wanted to. The Lions were not going to go into this year with him as a $24M cap hit. It wasn't going to happen. He simply could have walked into Quinns office and told him he absolutely wasn't going to rework his deal and the Lions would have cut him or traded him.

Also, he told people BEFORE the season even started that this was his last year. Coming of an 11-5 season. Hopes at that point were pretty damn high. I wont believe for a second that he was complaining about losing coming off an 11-5 season and playing for a coach that he really respected.

I've said it before......people saying he did this because he wanted out of Detroit are just saying that for views, clicks, listeners or their trolling a message board......because ALL the evidence pointed to him simply not wanting to play football anymore.

This was not about the Lions franchise, as bad as it has been.

Then why wait so long? If it was purely health? Especially if he's been thinking it for near a year.

That first sentence make it sound like he retired because he got a deal to do it now, otherwise he would have went past free agency and the Lions would have had to release him. At lease that's what it seems like..

Then why wait so long? If it was purely health? Especially if he's been thinking it for near a year.

That first sentence make it sound like he retired because he got a deal to do it now, otherwise he would have went past free agency and the Lions would have had to release him. At lease that's what it seems like..

I think the Lions asked him to take until free agency. In my opinion, he never wavered, but because it made no difference either way? The Lions wanted him to take until the last minute to make sure he didn't have a change of heart.

Just my thought.

I'm wrong again. I wish him well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FROM ESPN

NFLPA records show Johnson has paid back $320,000 of his signing bonus to the club, knocking down his dead money from $12.916 million to $12.596 million for 2016. The payback to the Lions was first reported by the Detroit Free Press on Friday morning.

The Lions could have tried to get back $3.2 million of his signing bonus, but the release announcing Johnson’s retirement included a line saying Johnson and the Lions had handled matters "to the satisfaction of both parties."

This is significant because the Lions came after Barry Sanders for some of his signing bonus after Sanders retired on the eve of training camp before the 1999 season. An arbitrator ruled in 2000 that Sanders had to pay back $1.8 million of his signing bonus immediately and then make yearly payments to the Lions up to $5.5 million.

Sanders had offered to pay it all back at once if the Lions released him from his contract, which they did not.

There won’t be those issues with Johnson, who retired before the start of the league year and in doing so initially opened up $11.1 million in cap space for Detroit. And then, with giving back some of his signing bonus, he added just a little bit more.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...-relationship-end-detroit-lions-megatron-2017
Calvin Johnson unhappy with how relationship ended with Lions.
Megatron doesn?t like to talk much about the end, but doesn?t hold a grudge.
PrideOfDetroit

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...n-johnson-retirement-detroit-lions/334466001/
Calvin Johnson content in retirement, not 'treated the way I should have been' by Lions.
Freep

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ke-how-the-lions-treated-him-when-he-retired/
Calvin Johnson didn?t like how the Lions treated him when he retired.
PFT

Calvin unhappy with the Lions but doesn't say why. Then his comments were pretty much child like. Stay a mute, CJ...wow.

Calvin unhappy with the Lions but doesn't say why. Then his comments were pretty much child like. Stay a mute, CJ...wow.

If we are to believe what he is hinting at, 'money' will make a person change feelings to another/others, and do and say things they normally wouldn't.

If we are to believe what he is hinting at, 'money' will make a person change feelings to another/others, and do and say things they normally wouldn't.

But he didn't say anything, KC lol. I think the article made him sound like a buffoon.

Frustrating that 2 great Lion players had to leave on bad terms. I was hoping it was a joke and he was going to sit out all of preseason last year and come back. Just wish we had won something with either Barry or Calvin but then I guess we all do.

Bob Quinn had no ties to him. All Calvin did for Quinn was retire early. Give back that bonus money mother fucker

Back