Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Has Officially Retired

1991, wonderful stuff. I was 6. Remember that like it was yesterday.

A playoff win.

Based on what? Were you in the room with CJ and Quinn. We all knew he wasn't coming back.. If you didn't then I'm sorry to say you're not so good with the obvious.

Enough lol. Nate Burleson was on tv "guaranteeing" that CJ was coming back, so stfu. And none of us were in the room. So no idea wtf that nonsense means. CJ retired early, then left the window open slightly for a return. Most of thought he was done, but there was still a chance he was coming back. There were actual NFL players saying that he was coming back. His boy Nate being one of them. A guy that was his friend and teammate.

I don't have any ill will towards any NLF player that quits...regardless if he gives the team a year notice or quits with no notice. They are risking their long term health every time they suit up. If I were them...get paid then bolt!

I don't have any ill will towards any NLF player that quits...regardless if he gives the team a year notice or quits with no notice. They are risking their long term health every time they suit up. If I were them...get paid then bolt!

I don't have ill will if you retire early or late either, but I do have a problem if it's done with no real readiness by the organization. Look at how Barry did it. He fucked that organization for yrs. We had to scramble and pick up James Stewart to be our #1 lol. CJ at least gave the Lions a somewhat heads up but I don't think it was enough time IMO. He still left that window slightly open for a return in typical CJ fashion. By not speaking and listening to former and current NFL players with 2 sides to his retirement. We never got a full answer until later on...finally!! But whatever! He's gone...buhbye....cya.

Calvin owes me about 12 million dollars more in entertainment. I will send him an invoice

Last edited:
This whole thing is silly. Calvin is going to get very little sympathy, hes complaining about getting 2.9 million of what he didn't earn instead of 3.2 million.

At the same time, lions look petty for asking for 320k back. Either ask for it all, or nothing.

Somehow in this situation, both sides came out looking stupid, no winners. Typical Lions result.

Enough lol. Nate Burleson was on tv "guaranteeing" that CJ was coming back, so stfu. And none of us were in the room. So no idea wtf that nonsense means. CJ retired early, then left the window open slightly for a return. Most of thought he was done, but there was still a chance he was coming back. There were actual NFL players saying that he was coming back. His boy Nate being one of them. A guy that was his friend and teammate.

NO, holy shit - Nate Burleson batman. Lol. You made my day.. Nate "fuckin' Burleson. Woo.

I don't have ill will if you retire early or late either, but I do have a problem if it's done with no real readiness by the organization. Look at how Barry did it. He fucked that organization for yrs. We had to scramble and pick up James Stewart to be our #1 lol. CJ at least gave the Lions a somewhat heads up but I don't think it was enough time IMO. He still left that window slightly open for a return in typical CJ fashion. By not speaking and listening to former and current NFL players with 2 sides to his retirement. We never got a full answer until later on...finally!! But whatever! He's gone...buhbye....cya.

As I recall, Calvin said he was done at the end of the season. Caldwell and Quinn asked him to take a couple of months to reconsider and get back to them before free agency opened.

To me, that means the Lions left the door open, not Calvin. He just honored their "think about it" request.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14686284/calvin-johnson-told-detroit-lions-plans-retire

CJ told Caldwell the day the season ended his plans......PLENTY of time for the organization to make other plans.....which they did.

Also, when Barry left we signed Greg Hill......not James Stewart.....to be his replacement. Stewart was signed the following off season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14686284/calvin-johnson-told-detroit-lions-plans-retire

CJ told Caldwell the day the season ended his plans......PLENTY of time for the organization to make other plans.....which they did.

Also, when Barry left we signed Greg Hill......not James Stewart.....to be his replacement. Stewart was signed the following off season.

Maybe i'm confusing early retirement with not enough time then lol.

And Greg Hill? Holy balls, you're right. Forgot that lol.

Typical response from someone who's got nothing...lol.

You mention all these players who say he's staying and all were wrong. Caldwell knew but somehow I know nothing and you're the smart guy.. Give me a break.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/05/ex-lions_great_calvin_johnson.html#incart_river_index
Ex-Lions great Calvin Johnson now working with Oakland Raiders.
Mlive

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...hnson-visits-raiders-special-guest/102063190/
Ex-Lion Johnson visits Raiders as ?special guest?.
Detnews

This makes me mad. If he is helping the competition, he won't be a part of the organization going forward. I can't think of any former superstar that helped another organization without some coaching connection.

Screw Calvin!!

Edit: I read the article and see there is a former Lions coach but I don't remember that guy at all.

Last edited:
This makes me mad. If he is helping the competition, he won't be a part of the organization going forward. I can't think of any former superstar that helped another organization without some coaching connection.

Screw Calvin!!

Edit: I read the article and see there is a former Lions coach but I don't remember that guy at all.

Maybe the Lions didn't ask him?

You mention all these players who say he's staying and all were wrong. Caldwell knew but somehow I know nothing and you're the smart guy.. Give me a break.

All I said was that CJ's boys, the guys he played with and bled with on the field. Burleson played with the guy for a few yrs too and they were friends. He said he was coming back lol. I never said you didn't know anything, you schmuck but i'll listen to guys that played the game over a bunch of retards on a message board. Get it? I was wrong? I never told you he was coming back. So how the fuck am i wrong?

Calvin gave the Lions enough time. The Lions kind of forced him to prior to free agency starting. They needed to know for the cap room and to target Marvin Jones. And Caldwell had Calvin take his time.

Calvin should still be playing but I'll take the cap room and Marvin Jones

Way too much attention being paid to a retired player and what he thinks and does.

Calvin is no longer a Lion. I don't care what camp he's in or who he's helping. I don't care what he thinks of his bonus being paid back or doesn't. I don't care one bit what the organization thinks of him either.

He was one hell of a player, and I miss watching him dominate. His entire playing career was spent with our team, and I love that. But that career is over now, and he's off doing his thing.

I have a great deal of respect for the man, and I hope he's enjoying his retirement, but beyond that, I just don't care what he's doing or saying.

Way too much attention being paid to a retired player and what he thinks and does.

Calvin is no longer a Lion. I don't care what camp he's in or who he's helping. I don't care what he thinks of his bonus being paid back or doesn't. I don't care one bit what the organization thinks of him either.

He was one hell of a player, and I miss watching him dominate. His entire playing career was spent with our team, and I love that. But that career is over now, and he's off doing his thing.

I have a great deal of respect for the man, and I hope he's enjoying his retirement, but beyond that, I just don't care what he's doing or saying.

CJ and Barry are arguably the best two players in Lions history and both left under less than desirable circumstances. This could reflect poorly on the organization.

Last edited:
Back