Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Culture Thread: Libtards and Republitards are Killing the US

there's no evidence of racism, except years of examples of racism, in numerous threads, posted by multiple posters here, that you choose to willingly ignore.

you mean your anecdotes that contain no evidence of racism that you pass off as proof of not only racism but systemic and/or institutional racism? that evidence? Also, if you were paying attention, you'd know you were full of shit saying that I willingly ignore any of it. I point out and refute your bullshit claims all the time.

Now where to put this, but this 2008 AP article is an oddity at best, or another example of why the MSM stands for "Making Shit Matter."

------------
Is Everything Seemingly Spinning out of Control?

WASHINGTON ? Is everything spinning out of control? Midwestern levees are bursting. Polar bears are adrift. Gas prices are skyrocketing. Home values are abysmal. Air fares, college tuition and health care border on unaffordable. Wars without end rage in Iraq, Afghanistan and against terrorism.

Horatio Alger, twist in your grave.

The can-do, bootstrap approach embedded in the American psyche is under assault. Eroding it is a dour powerlessness that is chipping away at the country's sturdy conviction that destiny can be commanded with sheer courage and perseverance.

The sense of helplessness is even reflected in this year's presidential election. Each contender offers a sense of order _ and hope. Republican John McCain promises an experienced hand in a frightening time. Democrat Barack Obama promises bright and shiny change, and his large crowds believe his exhortation, "Yes, we can."

Even so, a battered public seems discouraged by the onslaught of dispiriting things. An Associated Press-Ipsos poll says a barrel-scraping 17 percent of people surveyed believe the country is moving in the right direction. That is the lowest reading since the survey began in 2003.

An ABC News-Washington Post survey put that figure at 14 percent, tying the low in more than three decades of taking soundings on the national mood.

"It is pretty scary," said Charles Truxal, 64, a retired corporate manager in Rochester, Minn. "People are thinking things are going to get better, and they haven't been. And then you go hide in your basement because tornadoes are coming through. If you think about things, you have very little power to make it change."

Recent natural disasters around the world dwarf anything afflicting the U.S. Consider that more than 69,000 people died in the China earthquake, and that 78,000 were killed and 56,000 missing from the Myanmar cyclone.

Americans need do no more than check the weather, look in their wallets or turn on the news for their daily reality check on a world gone haywire.

Floods engulf Midwestern river towns. Is it global warming, the gradual degradation of a planet's weather that man seems powerless to stop or just a freakish late-spring deluge?

It hardly matters to those in the path. Just ask the people of New Orleans who survived Hurricane Katrina. They are living in a city where, 1,000 days after the storm, entire neighborhoods remain abandoned, a national embarrassment that evokes disbelief from visitors.

Food is becoming scarcer and more expensive on a worldwide scale, due to increased consumption in growing countries such as China and India and rising fuel costs. That can-do solution to energy needs _ turning corn into fuel _ is sapping fields of plenty once devoted to crops that people need to eat. Shortages have sparked riots. In the U.S., rice prices tripled and some stores rationed the staple.

Residents of the nation's capital and its suburbs repeatedly lose power for extended periods as mere thunderstorms rumble through. In California, leaders warn people to use less water in the unrelenting drought.

Want to get away from it all? The weak U.S. dollar makes travel abroad forbiddingly expensive. To add insult to injury, some airlines now charge to check luggage.

Want to escape on the couch? A writers' strike halted favorite TV shows for half a season. The newspaper on the table may soon be a relic of the Internet age. Just as video stores are falling by the wayside as people get their movies online or in the mail.

But there's always sports, right?

The moorings seem to be coming loose here, too.

Baseball stars Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens stand accused of enhancing their heroics with drugs. Basketball referees are suspected of cheating.

Stay tuned for less than pristine tales from the drug-addled Tour de France and who knows what from the Summer Olympics.

It's not the first time Americans have felt a loss of control.

Alger, the dime-novel author whose heroes overcame adversity to gain riches and fame, played to similar anxieties when the U.S. was becoming an industrial society in the late 1800s.

American University historian Allan J. Lichtman notes that the U.S. has endured comparable periods and worse, including the economic stagflation (stagnant growth combined with inflation) and Iran hostage crisis of 1980; the dawn of the Cold War, the Korean War and the hysterical hunts for domestic Communists in the late 1940s and early 1950s; and the Depression of the 1930s.

"All those periods were followed by much more optimistic periods in which the American people had their confidence restored," he said. "Of course, that doesn't mean it will happen again."

Each period also was followed by a change in the party controlling the White House.

This period has seen intense interest in the presidential primaries, especially the Democrats' five-month duel between Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton. Records were shattered by voters showing up at polling places, yearning for a voice in who will next guide the country as it confronts the uncontrollable.

Never mind that their views of their current leaders are near rock bottom, reflecting a frustration with Washington's inability to solve anything. President Bush barely gets the approval of three in 10 people, and it's even worse for the Democratic-led Congress.

Why the vulnerability? After all, this is the 21st century, not a more primitive past when little in life was assured. Surely people know how to fix problems now.

Maybe. And maybe this is what the 21st century will be about _ a great unraveling of some things long taken for granted.

Translation ... you are helpless and gullible, and we'll tell you what to think and how to feel.

Last edited:
Horatio Alger was a child molester. So maybe we shouldn't worry too much it he's rolling in his grave?

we should pic a better person or writer to build our American myths... or maybe not?

if you think our society is diseased, decadent, etc., maybe Alger is the perfect embodiment of who we listen to

Horatio Alger was a child molester. So maybe we shouldn't worry too much it he's rolling in his grave?

we should pic a better person or writer to build our American myths... or maybe not?

if you think our society is diseased, decadent, etc., maybe Alger is the perfect embodiment of who we listen to

1. I think you are missing the lede.
2. I passed over the Alger reference, but, then, maybe it's intentional on the part of the author of the article.
3. None of the other people mentioned are particularly virtuous, either, and ... see #2.

Last edited:
"cancel culture" goes both ways, I guess?
The Associated Press has fired a news associate, Emily Wilder, for violating the company?s social media policies, a move that drew backlash from journalists after it became clear that Wilder had been targeted by rightwing media outlets for her pro-Palestinian activism in college.
Rightwing and conservative media outlets began publishing stories this week about Wilder, who had previously worked with the newspaper Arizona Republic after graduating from Stanford University, when the Stanford College Republicans tweeted a thread highlighting her previous activism.
"It's different when we do it. She DESERVED to be cancelled. :cry:"

The Associated Press has fired a news associate, Emily Wilder, for violating the company?s social media policies, a move that drew backlash from journalists after it became clear that Wilder had been targeted by rightwing media outlets for her pro-Palestinian activism in college.
Rightwing and conservative media outlets began publishing stories this week about Wilder, who had previously worked with the newspaper Arizona Republic after graduating from Stanford University, when the Stanford College Republicans tweeted a thread highlighting her previous activism.

It's not different; it's still wrong no matter who does it. Would that the employers of these organizations actually stand up for their people rather than toss them to the curb.

It's not different; it's still wrong no matter who does it. Would that the employers of these organizations actually stand up for their people rather than toss them to the curb.

Well, wait - if she was publicly violating their policy in her personal communications, what?s to stand up for?

And how do we know the outcome would have been different had her social media posts had been pro-Zion/anti-Islamo-terrorism? We don?t.

And she?s still bitching about Sheldon Adelson? What?s up with that?

Maybe somebody should let this ?news woman? know he?s dead.

Last edited:
Well, wait - if she was publicly violating their policy in her personal communications, what?s to stand up for?

And how do we know the outcome would have been different had her social media posts had been pro-Zion/anti-Islamo-terrorism? We don?t.

And she?s still bitching about Sheldon Adelson? What?s up with that?

Maybe somebody should let this ?news woman? know he?s dead.

she wasn't working for them; she was in college at the time she made those posts.

using standards of certain posters on DSF, this doesn't count as a cancellation. Poor girl.

she wasn't working for them; she was in college at the time she made those posts.

Right.

Except wrong.

Her haters referred to posts she had made on social media going back to when she was in college.

She was fired for communications she made during her employment.

The article you linked to reports that right at the beginning of the second paragraph, in her own words, ?between my start day on May 3 and yesterday??

And again ? what?s up with Sheldon Adelson?

I have been calling through old posts looking for ones where we discussed domestic Islamo terrorism.

I didn?t find the one I was looking for, but since the subject of Islamo terrorism has been broached here, this thread is just as good as any.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DuVNNfOsYs

Now that Ms. Wilder has been fired for by the Associated Press for posting her opinions on the positive aspects of Islamo terrorism already anyways, she might as well go ahead and weigh in on the positive aspects of this.

Bullshit.

What?s bullshit?

That Ms. Wilder might do well to comment on the clip I posted?

So who?s canceling her now?

Or is the clip bullshit in that it didn?t really happen - that it was staged?

Maybe.

It did ?happen? in Hollywood.

And we know some Jews have made a lot of money staging shit here over the years.

But, I don?t know...seems a little far fetched, and there have been a number of Islamo terrorist attacks on Jews been going on other places.

Seems more like the result of a trend than a stunt.

Last edited:
What?s bullshit?

That Ms. Wilder might do well to comment on the clip I posted?

So who?s canceling her now?

Or is the clip bullshit in that it didn?t really happen - that it was staged?

Maybe.

It did ?happen? in Hollywood.

And we know some Jews have made a lot of money staging shit here over the years.

But, I don?t know...seems a little far fetched, and there have been a number of Islamo terrorist attacks on Jews been going on other places.

Seems more like the result of a trend than a stunt.

Trend or a stunt? There?s a possible third explanation - it very likely could be the case that the provocation wasn?t caught on video and the victims are now being made to look like the aggressors simply for defending themselves. just like in hockey, the refs often only see and give penalties for the retaliation.

Either way, we can probably all agree this is another symptom of the white supremacy that is so entrenched in our society, the same thing that is driving a spike in African American assaults on Asian Americans. I?m afraid Twitter waited to long to ban Trump.

Last edited:
Trend or a stunt? There?s a possible third explanation - it very likely could be the case that the provocation wasn?t caught on video and the victims are now being made to look like the aggressors simply for defending themselves. just like in hockey, the refs often only see and give penalties for the retaliation.

Either way, we can probably all agree this is another symptom of the white supremacy that is so entrenched in our society, the same thing that is driving a spike in African American assaults on Asian Americans. I?m afraid Twitter waited to long to ban Trump.

I think I should be given kudos for supporting my point with a link to Human Rights Watch - hardly a right wing, pro Israel mouthpiece.

And I would acknowledge that it would be as naive to hold Israel faultless as it would be to hold Israel completely at fault; at least in the before the mortar starts to fly.

But when the bombs start to come toward Israeli citizens fired by Hamas terrorists who shield themselves with their own citizens, using as shelter foreign press headquarters - yeah, I kinda gotta side with the Jews.

I think I should be given kudos for supporting my point with a link to Human Rights Watch - hardly a right wing, pro Israel mouthpiece.

And I would acknowledge that it would be as naive to hold Israel faultless as it would be to hold Israel completely at fault; at least in the before the mortar starts to fly.

But when the bombs start to come toward Israeli citizens fired by Hamas terrorists who shield themselves with their own citizens, using as shelter foreign press headquarters - yeah, I kinda gotta side with the Jews.

I agree 100%. I never even noticed the link in the post I quoted. My sarcastic and cynical "third possible explanation" was referring to the "bullshit" video in your earlier post.

and to your point in this post, I would add the idea that Israel is somehow an apartheid state guilty of human rights violations is absurd when it's the only country in the Middle East where arabs can live freely in one of the only democracies in the region, can have freedom of religion or to not be religious, can vote or be gay or leave their religion or refuse an arranged marriage without being killed, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. I never even noticed the link in the post I quoted. My sarcastic and cynical "third possible explanation" was referring to the "bullshit" video in your earlier post.

and to your point in this post, I would add the idea that Israel is somehow an apartheid state guilty of human rights violations is absurd when it's the only country in the Middle East where arabs can live freely in one of the only democracies in the region, can have freedom of religion or to not be religious, can vote or be gay or leave their religion or refuse an arranged marriage without being killed, etc, etc.

the Palestinians cannot live freely there.

And when did you become pro-gay rights by the way? are you going to add a rainbow flag to your profile?

gay marriage is illegal in Israel, FWIW, so I guess they aren't that tolerant...

the Palestinians cannot live freely there.

And when did you become pro-gay rights by the way? are you going to add a rainbow flag to your profile?

gay marriage is illegal in Israel, FWIW, so I guess they aren't that tolerant...

Is that what all this fighting about? Israel won?t allow gay Arab men marry each other?

That is oppressive.

Last edited:
Back