Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

well its not really dumping money...its shifting it from starting pitching to BP money. Look im still not ok with it....but our BP has been horrid the last 3 years. If he thought he needed to shift some salary around to make it better than I guess that's what he needed to do.

I know he's been good but signing 39 year old's always make me a little worried. I'm curious how much money he gets, hoping no more than 7 a year.

LOL...not sure what you are including to, but it certainly is funny.

There is roughly 26 weeks in a MLB season. The difference between a .258 hitter and a .300 hitter is roughly 1 hit a week. That is it. 1 hit a week is one seeing eye single. One bloop single. One infield single. Or the difference between a flyout or a double, triple or Home Run. And it only matters for that season. Over large sample sizes, players will wildly vary in BAVG.

Based on 600 at bats it is 180 hits vs. 154 hits. So in 26 games my .300 hitter is getting a hit and your .258 hitter is making outs. When your season comes down to a 5 game lead over second place those 26 hits count. You say it is one bloop single. I say that it is one strike out with the bases loaded per week.

Also, the ultimate deal. David Purcey for Scott Sizemore. Purcey averages 5.2 BB/G, 9.6 BB/G with DET. I wonder why he only lasted 2 months?

It took Sizemore tearing his ACL multiple times for this deal to even be considered a wash.

Based on 600 at bats it is 180 hits vs. 154 hits. So in 26 games my .300 hitter is getting a hit and your .258 hitter is making outs. When your season comes down to a 5 game lead over second place those 26 hits count. You say it is one bloop single. I say that it is one strike out with the bases loaded per week.

26 weeks x 7 days = 182 games....ooops only 162 games in a baseball season, so your math doesn't work

Um...26 weeks does not equal 26 games. The average is 6.23 games a week.

180 hits / 26 weeks = 6.92 hits a week

154 hits / 26 weeks = 5.92 hits a week

What if the .280 hitter had 14 apples and 12 oranges and gave 40% of his oranges to the .258 hitter how many apples would the .258 hitter have at the end of the season?

Out of those three, Scherzer, Fister, and Porcello...I would've wanted Fister traded last.

If your best offer is what the Nats offered, then you shouldn't be trading anyone. That said, I seriously doubt, based on what they got back, that they even had conversations with any other team about Fister, because they probably would have immediately found a superior package.

And, out of those three, I would have preferred to trade Porcello first, Scherzer next and Fister last. My reasons? Porcello has the same amount of team control left and is not as good as Fister. Scherzer only had a year of team control left and is only marginally better. Furthermore, I think it is far more likely that Scherzer is going to be paid considerably more than Fister in free agency despite the fact that Fister is nearly as good.

that's a little harsh. BA by itself can be an overrated stat but it is still very important.

Batting average only factors in At Bats which is why it's not useful. Plate Attempts are what should be used.

Take Avila and Pena in 2013. Looking at BA. it would seem Pena was the better hitter. That was not the case, per plate attempt, Avila was superior.

Out of those three, Scherzer, Fister, and Porcello...I would've wanted Fister traded last.

It really would depend on who you could have recieved for Max. If it was a difference maker at the plate (who was cheaper and controllable) + a prospect or 2, I would want him to be traded first. As far as Porcello vs. Fister I think it is close between the two. I still think that Porcello has more upside due to age and "stuff". Fister was the "safest" to keep of the three due to his consistancy.

I CERTAINLY hope that they don't extend Scherzer. Let him pitch out this season and see where they are.

Batting average only factors in At Bats which is why it's not useful. Plate Attempts are what should be used.

Take Avila and Pena in 2013. Looking at BA. it would seem Pena was the better hitter. That was not the case, per plate attempt, Avila was superior.

What are plate attempts?? Is this something new?

Really I don't care who on the team gets traded, aside from Cabrera, assuming we get fair value in return. That's why everyone is so pissed.

DD is 0 for 2 this year on trade fairness/value.

The Fielder trade looks worse because of this trade. We need to get a LF that can hit.

I'm not warm and fuzzy on the off-season so far.

I don't care if someone hits .250 or .300 if his OBP is only .20 points higher than his BA. Lombardozzi shouldn't see more than 200 ABs this year anyway, unless DD screws the pooch and doesn't sign a LF or Third Baseman.

Really I don't care who on the team gets traded, aside from Cabrera, assuming we get fair value in return. That's why everyone is so pissed.

DD is 0 for 2 this year on trade fairness/value.

I can let the Fielder move slide, if the team was determined to move him. I'm not sure how many teams were willing to take on that contract. Fister, on the other hand, is both good and fairly cheap, I refuse to believe this is the best they could've done (unless there's something seriously wrong we don't know about Fister).

Reports are that Beltran has a 3 year $48 million offer from someone. Most believe it's the Royals. $16 million a year for Beltran would hopefully lower the price on someone like Choo or Ellsbury.

Back