Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

So is KC the team we'll compete with now..I like that they're making some moves.

So is KC the team we'll compete with now..I like that they're making some moves.

I think Beltran will nosedive in KC. His Plate discipline has gone for shit and only hit 24 HR in a neutral park last year. He's stupid not to sign with the Yanks. They Royals downgraded their rotation a little, too. Replaced Santana with Vargas.

Last edited:
Reports are that Beltran has a 3 year $48 million offer from someone. Most believe it's the Royals. $16 million a year for Beltran would hopefully lower the price on someone like Choo or Ellsbury.

If Beltran gets 16mm a year over 3 years I don't think that will lower the price on Choo and Ellbury only raise it by taking Beltran off the market and setting the contract base. I believe Beltran shouldn't get nothing over 2 years myself but if a team is willing to offer a 3rd year to each's own.

Fans in KC and Cleveland should be happy right now. The Tigers' offense and starting pitching just got worse.

I think the Twins are going to surprise next year. Nolasco is a good pitcher, and Hughes could be solid as well in that park. They also have some of the best hitting prospects in baseball (Pinto, Buxton, Sano) that are close to major league ready. Maybe not compete for the division, but within a couple years they will be good.

The Fielder trade looks worse because of this trade. We need to get a LF that can hit.

I'm not warm and fuzzy on the off-season so far.

Salary relief 5 years down the road aside, we sent Fielder and 30 million to Texas for Kinsler.

That's not even close to fair, which is why I wanted another player thrown in.

What are plate attempts?? Is this something new?

I'm going to assume you're being poorly sarcastic, PA's are often called plate attempts or plate appearances, but are both the same thing basically.

Salary relief 5 years down the road aside, we sent Fielder and 30 million to Texas for Kinsler.

I really dont understand why we couldn't have at least gotten Neftali Feliz or Ogando in that deal.

I doubt they could've gotten another player, but we'll never know.

I'm going to assume you're being poorly sarcastic, PA's are often called plate attempts or plate appearances, but are both the same thing basically.

Plate appearances yes....I have NEVER heard anybody call them plate attempts.

Plate appearances yes....I have NEVER heard anybody call them plate attempts.

So now that you understand my meaning, maybe you understand why I say people who use .BA think the world is flat.

They basically ignore anything that happens at the plate by a hitter that does not either produce a clean hit or a clean out (no fielders choice, sacrifice) which is all batting average factors in to.

So now that you understand my meaning, maybe you understand why I say people who use .BA think the world is flat.

They basically ignore anything that happens at the plate by a hitter that does not either produce a clean hit or a clean out (no fielders choice, sacrifice) which is all batting average factors in to.

I think if you use BA alone you are someone that might think the world is flat. But, there is a place for it and it is an important stat when used with other stats.

In regards to a .270 hitter and .350 OBP, and .300 hitter and .350 OBP.

Just given those numbers, it would certainly seem to favor the .270 hitter. He's less reliant on BABIP for his OBP, and therefore will be a far more consistent offensive performer.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post?id=1600

"I've spoken to numerous team executives who were shocked at the return for Fister and wish they had been given the opportunity to offer more or to try to assemble a multi-team deal that would give the Tigers the specific pieces they wanted. One contending team's GM, known to be looking for another starter, told me he hadn't talked to the Tigers about Fister in weeks. Another exec with a contender indicated something similar.

The demand for starting pitching is so strong and the supply is so weak that giving one as good as Fister away just to clear space for a 60-inning, 39-year-old reliever leaves the Tigers clearly worse off in the end. "

Conclusion: DD is a fucking moron if he's been talking about trading fister for weeks ONLY WITH THE NATIONALS. Does he really have this big of a hard-on for Ray? We got fucked and he didnt even fucking bother to shop Fister around? THIS IS FUCKING LUDICROUS (if true).

SO GODDAMN PISSED OFF

Here's another one of Henning's brilliant tweets

"Not to diss Doug Fister, but anyone who watched him in 2013 saw apart from his rising WHIP that he wasn't the same pitcher. Not as lethal."

https://twitter.com/Lynn_Henning/status/407965474987601920

Is Henning a moron? honest question.

Looking at more in-depth stats, Fister numbers were pretty close between 2012 and 2013, the .036 higher BABIP could explain the rise in WHIP, doesn't mean he got worse.

In regards to a .270 hitter and .350 OBP, and .300 hitter and .350 OBP.

Just given those numbers, it would certainly seem to favor the .270 hitter. He's less reliant on BABIP for his OBP, and therefore will be a far more consistent offensive performer.

Well I think when someone poses a hypothetical you are assuming .270 and .300 are true talent level averages rather than possible BABIP fluctuations. If so, .300/.350 is obviously superior.

Here's another one of Henning's brilliant tweets

"Not to diss Doug Fister, but anyone who watched him in 2013 saw apart from his rising WHIP that he wasn't the same pitcher. Not as lethal."

https://twitter.com/Lynn_Henning/status/407965474987601920

Is Henning a moron? honest question.

Looking at more in-depth stats, Fister numbers were pretty close between 2012 and 2013, the .036 higher BABIP could explain the rise in WHIP, doesn't mean he got worse.

Honest answer, yes he is a moron. Either that or he and DD are basically best friends.

Back