Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

Can you explain why someone needed to go? We had the deepest rotation in baseball, Smyly was doing well in the bullpen, which was a problem area.

So we weakened the rotation and the bullpen in the same move, because someone had to go?

Smyly is a starter. DD has been adamant about that. He has also lamented not having a left handed starter for two years. In the trade he replaced Smyly with Krol and gambled on Porcello and Smyly doing well in the rotation.

To the other reply. This trade doesn't make them better today. It was done 50% for now (Krol) and 50% for later (Ray). DD got lefty pitching not named Coke. Apparently that is hard to do.

Can you explain why someone needed to go? We had the deepest rotation in baseball, Smyly was doing well in the bullpen, which was a problem area.

So we weakened the rotation and the bullpen in the same move, because someone had to go?

Because they wanted Smyly in the rotation. Simple as that. They felt that if he pitched another season out of the pen then it would have been tougher to make him a starter.

Based on the early returns it doesn't look like a bad move.

It's never been the act of trading Fister that has bothered me. I understand that the Tigers had a bit of a surplus of starting pitchers and needed to move somebody. It's the value they got back in return that is questionable. That value remains to be seen, so we just have to wait and see. Krol's done his job decently so far, but he alone is not enough to justify the trade. Have to see what Ray becomes.

Last edited:
It's never been the act of trading Fister that has bothered me. I understand that the Tigers had a bit of a surplus of starting pitchers and needed to move somebody. It's the value they got back in return that is questionable. That value remains to be seen, so we just have to wait and see. Krol's done his job decently so far, but he alone is not enough to justify the trade. Have to see what Ray becomes.

This.

Trading a starter was the right move, most everyone agreed that a starter needed to be moved to upgrade other areas where we didn't have a surplus.

The problem is they did not address any of those areas.

The return they got for a top 30 SP was laughable. And for as high on Ray DD said he was after the trade, Ray was not even the first choice of SP prospects from the Nationals that DD wanted.

With Ray being the only person in the trade who even had trade value (Loogys and bench players have none) it was a horrendous return.

I noticed Coke is still pitching. Krol had no effect on that..Fister is a number 2, regardless where he fit on our team. Ray does not have #3 potential. One day maybe but I don't see anyone says he's a future number 3. Being barely inside 100 prospect at age 23 does not excite me.

fister was a 4 on a team that wanted to make smyly a 4 instead. So they traded him....you guys need to get over it :D

fister was a 4 on a team that wanted to make smyly a 4 instead. So they traded him....you guys need to get over it :D

All that's fine, except what we got back. And Fister was a 4 here, but a 3 or a 2 on almost any other team.

But I'll remember the "get over it" part next time you complain about a move Mayhew makes.

All that's fine, except what we got back. And Fister was a 4 here, but a 3 or a 2 on almost any other team.

He is a three on most teams and a good pitcher. Krol is a valuable part of the 2014 team. We'll know more about Ray soon enough. The Tigers got the best young pitcher that was traded this past off-season AND he's a lefty for a rotation and organization that needs more of them (see Coke, Phil). We may have wanted more (and I'm sure DD did) but people aren't giving up their young arms for older ones, why would they?

How many people are hoping Ray fails just so they can yell "SEE!!!"? It's okay if you're out there. I am anticipating tonight's game more than any to date.

He is a three on most teams and a good pitcher. Krol is a valuable part of the 2014 team. We'll know more about Ray soon enough. The Tigers got the best young pitcher that was traded this past off-season AND he's a lefty for a rotation and organization that needs more of them (see Coke, Phil). We may have wanted more (and I'm sure DD did) but people aren't giving up their young arms for older ones, why would they?

How many people are hoping Ray fails just so they can yell "SEE!!!"? It's okay if you're out there. I am anticipating tonight's game more than any to date.

If a LHP's are so important to DD why did he let Darin Downs go? Or Duane Below? And you're just being an ass if you think any of us want Ray or Krol or any Tiger to fail just so we can say we were right. Even if they do good, it was still a lopsided trade, and you can make every excuse or reason you want, but the overwhelming majority of baseball people think so too.

If a LHP's are so important to DD why did he let Darin Downs go? Or Duane Below? And you're just being an ass if you think any of us want Ray or Krol or any Tiger to fail just so we can say we were right. Even if they do good, it was still a lopsided trade, and you can make every excuse or reason you want, but the overwhelming majority of baseball people think so too.

Baseball people have never been wrong? Fister wasn't even thought of as a top 100 pitcher when he was coming up. He alone is proof enough an overwhelming majority of baseball people are wrong frequently.

Darin Down isn't good. Duane Below is in the minors for Detroit, he also isn't very good. Krol is good and can do his job as a situational lefty. People can "pfft" the importance but the ones who do their job are valuable. Krol does his job.

They aren't "excuses", I'm not the GM. I understand his logic and thinking. If Ray becomes a pitcher in the rotation and Krol continues to do what he does then the trade isn't lopsided at all.

Say what you will, there are some whose hearts will be broken if Ray becomes a serviceable pitcher for the Tigers. The way some of you value Fister I had to re-check to make sure he hadn't won any Cy Young awards I missed...

Fact is DD should have gotten more for Fister... Hopefully Ray will be great... Hope....

Fact is DD should have gotten more for Fister... Hopefully Ray will be great... Hope....

From who and what?

NO TEAM IN BASEBALL TRADED A TOP 100 PITCHING PROSPECT in the offseason.

DD felt the organization needed depth at starter. Who disagrees? He looked at the market and likely asked about some top 100 prospects and was told no. He got the most he could at the time he needed to. Why would teams trade a potential top of the rotation guy for a middle of the rotation older guy (with two years left on his contract)?

The internet is loaded with ARTICLES on how DD got taken in the deal.... Heck I don't know maybe Ray and the deal will work out...

BUT HERE IS MY OPINON... I THINK DD COULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE FOR FISTER....

You think they did all right.. We can leave it at that..

Last edited:
"but the Tigers should have been able to acquire more quality for a pitcher of Fister's ability while still adding a solid closer."

I'd ask Jonathan Cullen the same question and all of them. Nobody was going to give DD young pitching for Fister and that's what he wanted most (aside from saving money for Nathan). Ray was the best he saw on the market (Washington wouldn't part with him the first time he called...what does THAT tell you?)

The internet is loaded with ARTICLES on how DD got taken in the deal.... Heck I don't know maybe Ray and the deal will work out...

BUT HERE IS MY OPINON... I THINK DD COULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE FOR FISTER....

You think they did all right.. We can leave it at that..

What young pitcher from another organization do you think they could have gotten? Or what player out there do you think (of those traded this offseason) would you have wanted instead?

I mean we act like DD has not whiffed before... He is way above the grade in his deals but he does have The Renteria, Washburn and Huff deals that didn’t quite pan out either...

I hope Ray pitches a no no... I still think DD could have gotten more value..

From who and what?

NO TEAM IN BASEBALL TRADED A TOP 100 PITCHING PROSPECT in the offseason.

DD felt the organization needed depth at starter. Who disagrees? He looked at the market and likely asked about some top 100 prospects and was told no. He got the most he could at the time he needed to. Why would teams trade a potential top of the rotation guy for a middle of the rotation older guy (with two years left on his contract)?

We don't know what type of inquiries DD made, and the way the trade went down it was widely speculated that Dombrowski did not ask around enough, and simply took one of the first offers he got. This is simply based on the return the Tigers got back for Fister, and many GMs were puzzled by it. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140215/SPORTS0104/302150051

I mean we act like DD has not whiffed before... He is way above the grade in his deals but he does have The Renteria, Washburn and Huff deals that didn?t quite pan out either...

I hope Ray pitches a no no... I still think DD could have gotten more value..

I think he has whiffed before for sure. I loved Jurjens...Turned out he didn't whiff as bad as we initially thought.

I'm obviously in the minority, but given the market I am happy with what he got out of Fister. Fister was found money in a way and he was able to use it for another roll of the long-term dice on Robbie Ray. You know the Nationals would have said no if it was Porcello instead of Fister in that deal.

What young pitcher from another organization do you think they could have gotten? Or what player out there do you think (of those traded this offseason) would you have wanted instead?

I have no idea what team's DD was talking to but it appeared to me he jumped the gun to soon in the off season.. I do not follow other teams players so I do not know who I would have targeted... It appears form just about 90% of who you poll that DD could have gotten more for a 200 inning starter... hopefully it will work out...

Last edited:
We don't know what type of inquiries DD made, and the way the trade went down it was widely speculated that Dombrowski did not ask around enough, and simply took one of the first offers he got. This is simply based on the return the Tigers got back for Fister, and many GMs were puzzled by it. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140215/SPORTS0104/302150051

I'll admit I was puzzled and frothing at the mouth at the time of the deal. As the off-season progressed I noticed NOBODY was trading young talented pitching and that DD actually wound up with the best one. I am also in the lonely minority of being glad we have Krol as our situational lefty instead of Below, Coke or Downs...

The GM's that were puzzled by it DD already knew wouldn't trade who he wanted or he didn't want what they had (another righty)

Back