Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 7: Steelers @ Lions *Sunday Night* Thread

Another (of many) things that I can't wrap my head around:

Theo Riddick was finding holes and hard as fuck to tackle all night, air or ground. Why the fuck are we bringing Washington into the game just because we're inside the 5? Because he's the 'goal line back'? Get the fuck out with that bullshit. Ride the hot hand.

Theo Riddick was finding holes and hard as fuck to tackle all night, air or ground. Why the fuck are we bringing Washington into the game just because we're inside the 5? Because he's the 'goal line back'? Get the fuck out with that bullshit. Ride the hot hand.

I remember when we'd take Barry out at the goal line. Makes no sense.

Ive heard that Riddick is not 100% yet, and that's why his role isn't what it use to be.

At a loss on this one. This game reeked of SOL....

Playcalling is horrific.
Redzone O is horrific
Marvin Jones and Fells with TD drops lol. I'll even say Ebron should have caught that ball in the EZ but it was kinda high. Still catchable. Huge points off the board.
DLine is a joke
Our RBS are a joke
Where the fuck is Riddick?
Where the fuck is Ansah?

I really wish they would have traded away Stafford. I really do. He's wasting away on a fucking terrible football team. How do you have THREE drops in the endzone? HOW?!?!

Lions have had a long-standing tradition of playing down to the level of their competition, which means no games remaining are really gimmes. I could see them going 2-3 vs division, and 2-2 outside, winding up 7-9.

I really wish they would have traded away Stafford. I really do. He's wasting away on a fucking terrible football team.

Sometimes I do, but when he struggles in games it makes me think he deserves this shit, and that he's a perfect fit here.

Last edited:
Sometimes I do, but when he struggles in games it makes me think he deserves this shit.

Every QB struggles. Stafford played great tonight. I have no idea how he keeps his cool though. 2-3 drops in the EZ is inexcusable!!!! A total of probably 5-6 tonight. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/video/recent-videos.html
Webvideo Highlights, lowlights, and players comments from game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951736
Boxscore.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/10/29/16568902/detroit-lions-pittsburgh-steelers-stock-report
Detroit Lions vs. Pittsburgh Steelers stock report.
The Steelers knocked down the Lions in a closely fought defensive battle.
POD

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-pittsburgh-steelers-20-detroit-lions-15
Refocused: Pittsburgh Steelers 20 - Detroit Lions 15.
PFF

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/PPY3090013530?selected=PPY8919704352
LOCKED ON DETROIT LIONS PODCAST VOLUME 285. OCT 29. 18 minutes.
POST POD #Lions fail the Red Zone Test. Lose 20-15. Dery points fingers.

Quick observations from Lions' loss against Steelers.

Lions: 3rd-most yards (482) without an offensive TD in NFL history.

Inside the Red Zone: 17 plays, 9 yards, 9. Total. Yards.

Breaking down the Red Zone play calls:
17 total plays
12 passing plays
5 rushing plays

12 passing plays
Matthew Stafford: 2-11, 6 yards, 1 sack

5 rushing plays
Dwayne Washington: 4 rushes, 6 yards
Theo Riddick: 1 rush, -2 yards

The defense was great. So were the special teams. The offense, not so much.

That could describe just about any game from the Detroit Lions this season. And even after getting a week to rest, it was more of the same Sunday night in a 20-15 loss against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They racked up 482 yards of offense against the league's No. 1 defense, and drove into the red zone five times. And five times, they were denied the goal line, the last of which sealed their fate in a game they should have won.

Matthew Stafford is at his best in the fourth quarter, and so is this offense. They operate with such precision with their backs against the wall, and Stafford did his thing again. He found Eric Ebron for a 14-yard pickup on third-and-3 to get the drive started, then again for a 44-yarder that moved Detroit into scoring territory.

But once again, that didn't matter. Theo Riddick lost yardage on a run and Stafford threw a pair of incomplete passes, including one on fourth down that was nowhere close to crossing the goal line. And that was the ballgame.

The Lions actually outgained Pittsburgh 482-392, but were just 2 of 12 on third down, settled for five field goals and were stoned twice inside the 10. That's the third most yards in NFL history by a team that didn't score a touchdown.

Now they've lost three in a row because of it, and four out of five. At 3-4, they're starting to lose contact with the first-place Vikings (6-2). And the challenge gets no easier next week, with a Monday night game at Lambeau Field on deck.

Matt Prater was a Pro Bowler last year. He's making a case to be an All-Pro this year. He nailed all five attempts against Pittsburgh, including a 51-yarder late in the second quarter. That was the 41st time he's converted from 50 yards in his career, moving him past Morten Andersen for fourth most in NFL history. And he needs just one more to match John Kasay for third on the all-time list. Of course, the flip side of your field-goal kicker going 5 for 5 is you settled five times for field goals, and it cost Detroit a win it badly needed.

Jim Caldwell decided to go for a fourth-and-goal with Detroit trailing 13-12, which was stuffed. Later faced with the same scenario, only this time facing a 20-12 deficit, he settled for a field goal. It's hard to figure out why he'd settle for three points when he needed eight to tie up the game, but would go for seven points when he needed only three to take a lead. It just looked like he was coaching scared there in the second half -- then again, who could blame him with this offense? You couldn't rely on them to pick up your laundry, let alone a touchdown in short yardage.

With Taylor Decker, Greg Robinson and Emmett Cleary in street clothes, the Lions began the game with Brian Mihalik (first career start) at left tackle. And once Rick Wagner injured his ankle in the third quarter, they turned to Dan Skipper (first career game) at right tackle. And they did so against the league's No. 2 pass rush. That's a terrible mismatch on paper -- except, the line actually played well. In fact, a couple ill-timed penalties aside, this might have been their best game in protection. Matthew Stafford was sacked just twice, and one of those was a coverage sack. He was hit just twice in the entire first half. This just might have been the offensive line's best performance of the season -- and they did it against one of the league's best fronts.

Glover Quin (concussion) might not have played last week had the Lions played. But he got a well-placed bye to rest, then returned this week for his 123rd straight start -- and in doing so, showed once again why he's one of the finest safeties in the game. He picked off yet another pass, this one on a deep ball intended for Antonio Brown. That's his third of the season and 19th since signing with the Lions in 2013, a league high. He later recovered a fumble, the sixth turnover he's contributed to in seven games. This guy is playing at an All-Pro level right now.

Antonio Brown stepped into Ford Field as the NFL's leading receiver, and added another five catches for 70 yards to his resume. But almost all of that damage came when he moved into the slot. Because whenever he lined up on the outside, whether it was on the left flank or the right, Darius Slay would follow him. And Slay hounded Brown all day, holding him to just one catch for 9 yards in their matchups. Throw in some excellent efforts against the likes of Julio Jones, Odell Beckham and pretty much everyone not named Kelvin Benjamin, and Slay is asserting himself as one of the game's best lock-down corners.

Rookie Jalen Reeves-Maybin played an expanded role at linebacker, and played really well, especially early. He contributed to a tackle on four of his first eight plays, and finished with a team-high five for the game. The fourth-round pick appears to be progressing at a rapid rate, and with fellow rookie Jarrad Davis alongside him, the future looks bright at linebacker.

With Golden Tate playing through a shoulder injury and Kenny Golladay missing another game because of a hamstring injury, the Lions needed a receiver to step up. And two did. Marvin Jones finished with six catches for 128 yards, his best game in more than a calendar year. He's played well in each of his last three games, actually, despite facing the tightest coverage in the NFL coming into Sunday's games. (Seriously, that's a stat.) And then the other Jones, TJ, chipped in four catches for a career-high 88 yards.

Tate made his 55th straight start for the Lions despite that shoulder injury, although he hardly looked like himself. That includes losing a fumble early in the fourth quarter, after making a catch that moved Detroit into Pittsburgh territory while facing a 20-15 deficit. There wasn't even contact, either. He just lost the ball, as he tried to move it between hands. He finished with seven catches for 86 yards, plus the fumble.

Eric Ebron's funk worsened in the first three quarters, when he failed to come up with any of his three targets, including another one in the end zone. And he was booed. Loudly, and repeatedly. But man he came up big late in the fourth quarter, hauling in a 14-yard pass on third-and-3, then sprinting down the left sideline for 44 yards. If he's dealt before Tuesday's deadline -- and that remains very much a possibility -- this was quite the way to go out.

Dwayne Washington had a forgettable return to the field. Playing in his first game since suffering a quad injury in Week 3, he lost his kick returner job on special teams, turned six carries into just 12 yards on offense, and struggled in his role as the power back in the red zone. And then he exited prematurely with yet another injury.

Lions defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson was ejected in the final seconds of the game for throwing a punch.

T.J. Lang returned to the lineup after taking the Saints game off with a back injury. It was the 100th start of his career.

The Lions fell to 2-13 all time against the Steelers.

At a loss on this one. This game reeked of SOL....

Playcalling is horrific.
Redzone O is horrific
Marvin Jones and Fells with TD drops lol. I'll even say Ebron should have caught that ball in the EZ but it was kinda high. Still catchable. Huge points off the board.
DLine is a joke
Our RBS are a joke
Where the fuck is Riddick?
Where the fuck is Ansah?

I really wish they would have traded away Stafford. I really do. He's wasting away on a fucking terrible football team. How do you have THREE drops in the endzone? HOW?!?!

Lol. so predictable. I knew I would see a poor Stafford thread after this game from at least one of our two fanboys.

Yep he had one of his best games, maybe the best, of the year. However he also has his share of the blame. For some reason we expect wide open windows at all times, or we can't expect the QB to be successful. That's not how it works.

Did you watch the Seattle and Houston game?

Seattle had 3 rushing yards in 17 attempts. There were a couple of dropped passes, there was way more pressure than Stafford face. Wilson was dropping in passes in tight coverage. That is what you should be able to expect out of your QB.

Watson, while making rookie mistakes, also was making plays that you would expect out of Aaron Rodgers.

Stafford would be a backup right now on either of those two teams.

But to Stafford's credit this game was one of the first in a while where he was more of a help, than a liability to the Detroit Lions. He did play well overall.

Scott, they aren't stuck with Caldwell. Signing someone to an extension doesn't mean he is locked into the team. He can be bounced. Quite honestly, I expect him to if they don't improve at all this year.

The Lions were lucky the score was what it was. Ben was overthrowing open WRs ALL freaking night. And, they had a couple drives that stalled out from horribly dropped passes by their WRs in the end zone.

He will be here at least next year unless they don't win another game. Even that is a maybe that they even fire him.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Coaches can get extended and promptly fired. Happened with Fisher. It just means they have to pay him a bit more.

If this team falls off, which they could very well do, and finish 3rd in a division that's missing Aaron Rodgers and has Chicago and Minnesota, he needs to go.

They balance it by not even having an NBA team, which we have 3 titles through. Also the Pirates finished under .500 for like 23 years straight or something.

Sadly Pittsburgh (5) has one more world series titles then detroit does with the last being 1979 compared to 1984 for the Tigers. Yeah they have had alot of really bad years recently with the Tigers being alot better but still... come on Lions get us at least 1!!!!!

So again can someone tell me. On any of these goal line plays could Matt had just jump up like Drew Brees and hit the imaginary td line ?

. come on Lions get us at least 1!!!!!

I was just 2 months old when the Lions last won an NFL championship, and would be genuinely shocked if the Lions even play in a SB before I croak, much less win one.

If the NFC Lions and AFC Browns ever are to meet again in a championship game, then Armageddon couldn't be far behind...lolz.

Back