Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gardner looking pretty good

I like to think I respect other people's opinions. But I don't see how you can watch this offense today and not see that it is much, much better than what we've watched all year. Denard is a sweet kid and God knows UM has won games because of him the last three years that they wouldn't have without him. But he's a turnover machine and injury prone. And the offense is better with DG. Sorry, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Without a daubt Denard is still the starter. But what we saw today was our future offense and it gave us hope that Devin has the ability to lead us next year. As much as I think Shabe will be good I dont think he will be ready by next fall.

I like to think I respect other people's opinions. But I don't see how you can watch this offense today and not see that it is much, much better than what we've watched all year. Denard is a sweet kid and God knows UM has won games because of him the last three years that they wouldn't have without him. But he's a turnover machine and injury prone. And the offense is better with DG. Sorry, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

And the way you "sees 'em" is completely off.

You and most others who watched the game sat down to watch a team that hadn't scored an offensive touchdown in 8 quarters, and went on the road to play what we all considered to be a shitty team (look at the score prediction thread). Because today wasn't a train wreck, we get the privilege of watching people go off the deep end and call for Gardner to be the QB, saying the offense is better with Gardner, and the most ridiculously fucked up opinion, that Gardner is the better runner.

Here's what happened: The offense got back on track today. It was still your typical conservative play call against a team that 10 times out of 10 gets blown out by UM. Gardner managed the game well. His TD pass to Dileo showed something Henne never developed in his 4 years as Michigan's starting QB, the ability to scramble behind the LOS, buy time, keep eyes downfield, and hit the receiver who had 10 seconds to get open. That play was awesome. He also showed good presence when he took shots on the two offsides calls.

But even with all Devin did well today, if next week, both Devin and Denard are healthy, you and you think Devin should start, then, well, you. are. out. of. your. fucking. mind.

If you think UM beats MSU two weeks ago with Gardner at QB instead of Denard, you. are. out. of. your. fucking. mind.

Gardner proved today he's the better option than Bellomy, and he showed us that Morris doesn't have to show up on campus in August feeling like he's the only option this team has. He didn't prove that he's the best QB for UM down the stretch of this season, because he's not.

Without a daubt Denard is still the starter. But what we saw today was our future offense and it gave us hope that Devin has the ability to lead us next year. As much as I think Shabe will be good I dont think he will be ready by next fall.

Word

Like it
Like it
Love it
Hoping Darboh finds his name replacing Dileo's!

If you think UM beats MSU two weeks ago with Gardner at QB instead of Denard, you. are. out. of. your. fucking. mind.

Maybe not, but we would have beat ND with Devin as the QB. I wanted Robinson pulled that game and for Devin to come in in the 2nd half. But as we all know, Devin was getting NO snaps during the week. Robinson gave the ball to ND anytime they wanted it and we still almost won.

And the way you "sees 'em" is completely off.

You and most others who watched the game sat down to watch a team that hadn't scored an offensive touchdown in 8 quarters, and went on the road to play what we all considered to be a shitty team (look at the score prediction thread). Because today wasn't a train wreck, we get the privilege of watching people go off the deep end and call for Gardner to be the QB, saying the offense is better with Gardner, and the most ridiculously fucked up opinion, that Gardner is the better runner.

Here's what happened: The offense got back on track today. It was still your typical conservative play call against a team that 10 times out of 10 gets blown out by UM. Gardner managed the game well. His TD pass to Dileo showed something Henne never developed in his 4 years as Michigan's starting QB, the ability to scramble behind the LOS, buy time, keep eyes downfield, and hit the receiver who had 10 seconds to get open. That play was awesome. He also showed good presence when he took shots on the two offsides calls.

But even with all Devin did well today, if next week, both Devin and Denard are healthy, you and you think Devin should start, then, well, you. are. out. of. your. fucking. mind.

Gardner proved today he's the better option than Bellomy, and he showed us that Morris doesn't have to show up on campus in August feeling like he's the only option this team has. He didn't prove that he's the best QB for UM down the stretch of this season, because he's not.

so since everyone is out of their minds, show us you dont have blinders on by your love for denard and give devin credit that he threw the ball better today than denard has his entire career. im not talking statistics or opponents or anything like that. im talking the pure accuracy and touch he had on about 85% of his passes and the instincts he had as a qb to do what denard can not and take advantage of situations (the 2 offisdes plays) and throw the ball away when he was in trouble. give him credit for not throwing every pass like a bullet every time and doing what he look to be best at by making plays with his arm when a play breaks down before he trys to make plays with his feet.

not one person here is calling devin the better "athlete" but if you think denard is the better "qb" you are out.of.your.fucking.mind.

he may give us the best chance to win but thats because he makes plays with his feet because the line can not block like they should be. if it was running the offense we saw today with a line that would hold blocks there is no doubt devin should be qb, but thats not our situation is it?

Crazy scramble Hail Mary for the TD finally broke the seal for Gardner. He was a different man from that point on and has always faced a pretty intense situation as Denard's back-up.

I like it - both for next Saturday and 2013. Morris chilling on the sideline would be a good thing, IMO.

Crazy scramble Hail Mary for the TD finally broke the seal for Gardner. He was a different man from that point on and has always faced a pretty intense situation as Denard's back-up.

I like it - both for next Saturday and 2013. Morris chilling on the sideline would be a good thing, IMO.

The thing is is that wasn't a Hail Mary. He seen Dileo open and chucked it to him. He was wide open and didn't have to move, perfect throw. My god I think Denard would have thrown it out of the endzone OR it would have been thrown short and intercepted.

so since everyone is out of their minds, show us you dont have blinders on by your love for denard and give devin credit that he threw the ball better today than denard has his entire career. im not talking statistics or opponents or anything like that. im talking the pure accuracy and touch he had on about 85% of his passes and the instincts he had as a qb to do what denard can not and take advantage of situations (the 2 offisdes plays) and throw the ball away when he was in trouble. give him credit for not throwing every pass like a bullet every time and doing what he look to be best at by making plays with his arm when a play breaks down before he trys to make plays with his feet.

not one person here is calling devin the better "athlete" but if you think denard is the better "qb" you are out.of.your.fucking.mind.

he may give us the best chance to win but thats because he makes plays with his feet because the line can not block like they should be. if it was running the offense we saw today with a line that would hold blocks there is no doubt devin should be qb, but thats not our situation is it?

Why do you keep putting the term "qb" in quotation marks? I think it's that you have this mental set of what a QB SHOULD look like that you've got that in your head, and you're using THAT as the barometer. Good one. Just type what you really mean, that Gardner better fits your mental set. There's nothing wrong with that. But call it what it is. I just can't fathom someone rationally and logically looking at every game Denard has played in his UM career and concluding that what Gardner did today was better quarterback play.

All I need to really demonstrate why I think you're out of your goddam mind in your assertion that Devin Gardner threw the ball today against Minnesota better than Denard has in his entire career is to point out that in order for that to be true, you'd have to believe that Devin's passing game today was better than Denard's was against Ohio State last year.

And if you think that...

Last edited:
Bam, you've got to admit that having more play selection is a priceless luxury to have. I say give Devin this next start against a good NW team. See what happens. Denard is still injured after all. Tell Denard, "let's get you a little healthy for one more week." Have him ready as the back up in case shit gets out of hand.

Bam, you've got to admit that having more play selection is a priceless luxury to have. I say give Devin this next start against a good NW team. See what happens. Denard is still injured after all. Tell Denard, "let's get you a little healthy for one more week." Have him ready as the back up in case shit gets out of hand.

Interesting point. What did you see today that gave you the impression that there are more play selection options with Gardner?

bamf i think you have a very high football iq, but you obviously have no clue what you are talking about in this situation and can not admit it if you dont get why i put qb in quotations. you think that what denard does from behind the center is a qb. in now way shape or form is that true. there is a reason they have to put words like "dual threat" and "running" in front of the word qb when they talk about denard. he does not play the position like a true qb. he is a run first throw second athlete. there is a reason so many people call him a kick returner or call for him to move to rb or wr. He is not a true qb. the only reason he is playing that position is because he has all that athletic ability and the coaches dont want to lose a player like that. obviously he gives us the best chance to win right now because of the way the offense is set up and how weak we are at offensive line. If they were able to switch right over to the pro style and use devin at qb, they would have done it already. however, they can not because of deficiencies at other positions and hoke and borges are not forcing a round peg to fit into a square hole. this is why denard gives the team the best option to win.

having said that, i believe that the touch and accuarcy that devin has on the ball from what he showed today should make you sit down and think yes devin is the better thrower hands down of the 2. denard had great games against nebraska and ohio state last year. but never in either of those games did i sit there and see the way he threw the ball and think man he can really throw.

Devin, however, throws a nice, accurate ball that has touch and is a good spiral. he hit receivers in stride and the receiver were able to cushion the ball into a catch because it was not just winged at them. Denard has no touch on his passes. he throws them like a bullet every single time and this is a big reason he overthrows and underthrows receivers. it also causes receivers to not be able to make tough catches because the ball bounces right off of their hands.

i like denard. i have since he became the starter in 2010. i agree he gives us the best chance to win. but not because he plays the qb position well. its because he is dangerous with his feet and keeps the defense on its heels most of the time. but every has seen what happens when teams like msu come up with a good scheme to stop denard on the ground. the game becomes stagnant and we struggle to move the ball. when you have runningbacks running the ball and qb's throwing the ball with the occasional scramble to keep people honest, you open up so much more. this is the style of qb play that people saw today and look forward to seeing in the future.

i do not like spread offenses with running qb's and never have. teams with good/fast defenses will always be able to counter them with a good defensive schemes. teams that can throw the ball and run the ball are far more likely to succeed than teams that cant. i understand you may like the way denard plays the position, but that doesnt mean anyone else has to.

that doesnt change the fact that you havent once given devin true credit for the way he looked or the way he played today. He threw the ball really well once he got the jitters out in the first quarter. his passes looked better than any passes that denard is capable of making. he will be a good qb for the offense next year and maybe the year after unless shane morris comes in and is amazing. let the people here enjoy seeing a true qb play the position and be happy for devin. he has stuck around as a 5 star qb being backup to denard when he could have transferred to another school. he is finally showing tht he can play the position and people dont have to be as worried if and when denard gets hurt. I believe in giving every michigan athlete the credit they deserve and other people on the board sometimes dont like to do that. (i.e. m&b09 with kovacs) i dont see how you show your love for the team if you cant give credit to the people when they earn it.

bamf i think you have a very high football iq, but you obviously have no clue what you are talking about in this situation and can not admit it if you dont get why i put qb in quotations. you think that what denard does from behind the center is a qb. in now way shape or form is that true. there is a reason they have to put words like "dual threat" and "running" in front of the word qb when they talk about denard. he does not play the position like a true qb. he is a run first throw second athlete. there is a reason so many people call him a kick returner or call for him to move to rb or wr. He is not a true qb. the only reason he is playing that position is because he has all that athletic ability and the coaches dont want to lose a player like that. obviously he gives us the best chance to win right now because of the way the offense is set up and how weak we are at offensive line. If they were able to switch right over to the pro style and use devin at qb, they would have done it already. however, they can not because of deficiencies at other positions and hoke and borges are not forcing a round peg to fit into a square hole. this is why denard gives the team the best option to win.

having said that, i believe that the touch and accuarcy that devin has on the ball from what he showed today should make you sit down and think yes devin is the better thrower hands down of the 2. denard had great games against nebraska and ohio state last year. but never in either of those games did i sit there and see the way he threw the ball and think man he can really throw.

Devin, however, throws a nice, accurate ball that has touch and is a good spiral. he hit receivers in stride and the receiver were able to cushion the ball into a catch because it was not just winged at them. Denard has no touch on his passes. he throws them like a bullet every single time and this is a big reason he overthrows and underthrows receivers. it also causes receivers to not be able to make tough catches because the ball bounces right off of their hands.

i like denard. i have since he became the starter in 2010. i agree he gives us the best chance to win. but not because he plays the qb position well. its because he is dangerous with his feet and keeps the defense on its heels most of the time. but every has seen what happens when teams like msu come up with a good scheme to stop denard on the ground. the game becomes stagnant and we struggle to move the ball. when you have runningbacks running the ball and qb's throwing the ball with the occasional scramble to keep people honest, you open up so much more. this is the style of qb play that people saw today and look forward to seeing in the future.

i do not like spread offenses with running qb's and never have. teams with good/fast defenses will always be able to counter them with a good defensive schemes. teams that can throw the ball and run the ball are far more likely to succeed than teams that cant. i understand you may like the way denard plays the position, but that doesnt mean anyone else has to.

that doesnt change the fact that you havent once given devin true credit for the way he looked or the way he played today. He threw the ball really well once he got the jitters out in the first quarter. his passes looked better than any passes that denard is capable of making. he will be a good qb for the offense next year and maybe the year after unless shane morris comes in and is amazing. let the people here enjoy seeing a true qb play the position and be happy for devin. he has stuck around as a 5 star qb being backup to denard when he could have transferred to another school. he is finally showing tht he can play the position and people dont have to be as worried if and when denard gets hurt. I believe in giving every michigan athlete the credit they deserve and other people on the board sometimes dont like to do that. (i.e. m&b09 with kovacs) i dont see how you show your love for the team if you cant give credit to the people when they earn it.

It is quarterback play, just not the kind you prefer to see. You keep putting these terms in quotation marks so you can attach your own meaning to them, and make up the rules as you go. As you were typing while thinking, instead of thinking then typing, your meaning became somewhat clearer. You don't like the TYPE of QB Denard is, evident in your statement,

"i do not like spread offenses with running qb's and never have. teams with good/fast defenses will always be able to counter them with a good defensive schemes. teams that can throw the ball and run the ball are far more likely to succeed than teams that cant. i understand you may like the way denard plays the position, but that doesnt mean anyone else has to."

Now I see what's happening; I'm analyzing the play of Denard Robinson and Devin Gardner. You're at the same time having a philosophical debate about spread vs. more prostyle offenses. If you want to have that, that's cool, just don't do it under the guise of a different premise. But sorry, you don't get to make an outlandish statement that Devin Gardner today made throws that Denard hasn't made in his career, or isn't capable of making without offering some sort of defense for it. Shit, between the two of us, I'm the only one who really made a case for a play Gardner made that Denard hasn't, and it was the Fran Tarkenton scramble.

I just don't see why we can't look at today's game, say Devin Gardner played well at times (pretty much 2nd quarter on) and made some plays, and have that be enough. I just don't see why were have to get neverending hard-ons and make absolutely outlandish statements like these, and conclude that someone who won't compete with us for craziest statement of the night isn't giving someone credit.

Out of curiosity....of the other 17 throws Gardner made today, which ones are you most impressed with?

gotta let shane fight for the job.
Rawls isnt very good
love funchess
Id hope we'd have better than Dileo by next year

I'll agree with the Shane statement; but it's nice for us as fans and even more so for him as an 18 year old kid to come to camp in August with another option at the position, instead of having, what, 17 practices to get a kid ready to start the season?

I think Rawls had some VERY physical runs today, and at worst, he could be a great short yardage option for this team once they get into a more pro style offense with a consistent IForm.

Me too.

Word.

gotta let shane fight for the job.
Rawls isnt very good
love funchess
Id hope we'd have better than Dileo by next year

We will also have Gallon and Fitz back not sure why people keep hating on them. I know Fitz has had a rough year and Gallon has been inconsistent but they can still make plays. I also think Norfleat will have a bigger role next year

We will also have Gallon and Fitz back not sure why people keep hating on them. I know Fitz has had a rough year and Gallon has been inconsistent but they can still make plays. I also think Norfleat will have a bigger role next year

fitz will be more successful AD Denard. That zone read crap just isnt working out for him....by the time denard hands him the ball the entire defense has flown at him and hes just not very good at breaking tackles. He'll be just fine in a more balanced offense. People arent happy with the like of dileo and gallon cause they dont look like michigan WRs. they look like midgets. Is it too much to ask for a guy that atleast looks like a Marquise Walker?

Back