Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gardner looking pretty good

Do you know what it means when someone says, "arguably?"

When someone says, "Devin Gardner is arguably Michigan's top receiver" it means you can make an argument for it, but it's unclear.

It's why no one ever called Braylon Edwards arguably Michigan's best receiver in 2004. It wasn't an argument. He was. What was said was that he was arguably the best wideout in the nation. There were guys like Troy Williamson, Mark Clayton, etc who were also damn good.

When I say that Devin Gardner is arguably Michigan's best option at WR, there's an argument for it, but it's not clear cut. Some could argue for Roundtree, others maybe for Gallon, etc. But given the position switch of a highly touted QB, they clearly think he's one of the two best wideouts on the team.

I know what the term "arguably" means and I'm arguing against this one.

Hey Rumsey, please don't type a serious post about Bellomy or Kennedy playing QB in a close game. I damn near lost my dinner! haha

Made me shudder to think of the possibility of either coming in with the game on the line. Well, it will be interesting to see what the coaches decide to do. I think Denard will be ready to go on Saturday.

I know what the term "arguably" means and I'm arguing against this one.

Michigan is 108th in passing yards. So, it is not overly impressive to say that DG is Michigan's best option at WR. He is not a bad receiver, but he is not great either. I don't recall him making any great catches, or going up and getting the ball (ala Gallon's leap in the endzone this weekend, or Roundtree's catch at the 2). He is not ready to make those kinds of plays at WR, and he shouldn't be expected to given the short time he has been playing the position. He is serviceable, but not great at this point. Given more time and a chance to focus he would likely get better. But the coaches have already said you can't prepare to play both WR and backup QB. So, they have to prepare him to play QB, there is no other option, whether or not he starts at QB or is the backup, he has to be prepared to play QB for the rest of the games this season.

Being called Michigan's best receiver these days is like being called the best hockey player ever from Guatemala.

Being called Michigan's best receiver these days is like being called the best hockey player ever from Guatemala.

I've been struggling with how to best frame the current situation. Your description is a little over the top but it works. Will stop struggling.

a lot of pointless arguing in this thread.

Gardner looked good against Minnesota. That's all we've seen.

I know it's not the same team, but even Nick Sheridan looked good @Minnesota in 2008. it's a low-pressure situation for a QB, throwing against a slow, disorganized secondary.

if Gardner plays like that against Northwestern or Iowa, then, maybe we can argue this.

Pointless arguing on an internet message board? Say it isn't so!

Agree totally, except for that, as already stated, I don't think it was a Hail Mary. What I saw was a 60 yard pass to a wide-open receiver that hit him right in the numbers after an exciting scramble.

It wasn't a Hail Mary ....though Gardner certainly looked Heavenward following the catch and thanked Somebody.

It's a discussion board, who cares how long a conversation is. This board is so dead during the week, we might be able to keep it going till Saturday. Anyway, I say Devin starts to give Denard a little more rest. If he fucks it up, keep Denard waiting in the wings as the backup.

It's a discussion board, who cares how long a conversation is. This board is so dead during the week, we might be able to keep it going till Saturday. Anyway, I say Devin starts to give Denard a little more rest. If he fucks it up, keep Denard waiting in the wings as the backup.

this

I agree Denard should rest as long as needed. Although I would love to see Denard's last regular season game as a Wolverine be a win as the starting QB in Columbus. That would just be awesome.

I agree Denard should rest as long as needed. Although I would love to see Denard's last regular season game as a Wolverine be a win as the starting QB in Columbus. That would just be awesome.

It could happen. Anything can happen in The Game. Scares me every year. How are you guys liking M's chances?

Last edited:
It could happen. Anything can happen in The Game. Scares me every year. How are you guys liking M's chances?

I think our D gives us a great chance to win week in and week out. I think they'll continue that against OSU. I do worry about our offense. Particularly the ground game. Our run game is just bad without Denard.

I think our D gives us a great chance to win week in and week out. I think they'll continue that against OSU. I do worry about our offense. Particularly the ground game. Our run game is just bad without Denard.

I agree.

I think it's going to come down to which defense is better against the run.

I enjoyed seeing Cal run all over the Buckeyes earlier in the season. I was a bit more concerned in our chances after ohio won @PennSt, a game I really thought they'd lose.

I think Meyer has a huge Free Pass this year and will throw the kitchen sink at Michigan -- fake punts, fake FGs, running up the score if possible... Bloodlust of the fans, no Bowl game, no BT title, MICHIGAN.

I like that the game's in Columbus. It will be a test for Hoke.

I think Meyer has a huge Free Pass this year and will throw the kitchen sink at Michigan -- fake punts, fake FGs, running up the score if possible... Bloodlust of the fans, no Bowl game, no BT title, MICHIGAN.

I like that the game's in Columbus. It will be a test for Hoke.

This is more or less how I see things. Main thing is that Michigan is this year's Bowl game. Bucks will be sky high, particularly if they find their way past Badgers. Going to be tough in Madison. Timing of bye week is in OSU's favor.

Back