Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

2023 4 star LB Jordan Hall is on a visit to MSU this weekend with his mom. He just announced he?s committing tonight. Too 200 player. Likely canceling his visits to ND and UM which were coming up.

Jordan Hall commits and does indeed cancel his visits to ND and UM. 171sr ranked player in the nation. IMG Academy in FL. Great pickup.

Word was he was basically a commit several weeks ago. Good to see it?s official.

At least 1 and maybe 2 more in the way this weekend.

Last edited:
OK, this could get pretty wild. Could be some more blue chips on the way this weekend.

Clay Wedin could be next. 4 star OT/OG with offers from Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, and about 30 other schools.

4 star CB from Texas Jaylen Braxton commits to MSU. 247's #210 player in the nation. LSU, Baylor, and Arkansas were the main teams we beat out for Braxton. He just visited Baylor this weekend after MSU last weekend. Cancelling his upcoming visits, he's all in. 7th composite 4 star out of 10 recruits now.

4 star OT from Florida, Clay Wedin commits to MSU.

Might be another one coming very soon.

Going to easily eclipse 2016. Top 12 seems realistic, with a shot at top 10.

that was a joke, or a sign of a potentially bad omen. My prediction is this NIL thing is going to be bad for everyone. Overhyping recruiting the last 20 years has fueled these kids' egos so much already and many of them lack the maturity to deal with this level of attention/adoration. Giving them hundreds of thousands, in some cases millions of dollars is going to make it much, much worse.

I don't necessarily think it will happen at MSU, certainly not exclusively at MSU, but managing these kids and keeping them out of trouble is only going to get harder.

that was a joke, or a sign of a potentially bad omen. My prediction is this NIL thing is going to be bad for everyone. Overhyping recruiting the last 20 years has fueled these kids' egos so much already and many of them lack the maturity to deal with this level of attention/adoration. Giving them hundreds of thousands, in some cases millions of dollars is going to make it much, much worse.

I don't necessarily think it will happen at MSU, certainly not exclusively at MSU, but managing these kids and keeping them out of trouble is only going to get harder.

MSU has a lot of juice right now, I don't think they're top 5 for NIL, but the rumor is maybe top 10, but no one really knows. I don't think the mid to low 4 starts were landing are getting massive NIL deals yet. I think we have some top guys we are targeting who will get multi year deals worth multi millions of dollars though.

Another way to look at it now though is that these kids will have NIL deals with morality clauses that void them if they get into trouble. Might be easier to keep them in line. But I do think it will get complicated when NIL money is the potential reward for winning the starting QB spot and the staff decides to go with the other QB for instance. And there will be some jealousy.

I mean, it's well known Clemson was paying croots, did they have more problems than anyone else?

Last edited:
MSU has a lot of juice right now, I don't think they're top 5 for NIL, but the rumor is maybe top 10, but no one really knows. I don't think the mid to low 4 starts were landing are getting massive NIL deals yet. I think we have some top guys we are targeting who will get multi year deals worth multi millions of dollars though.

Another way to look at it now though is that these kids will have NIL deals with morality clauses that void them if they get into trouble. Might be easier to keep them in line. But I do think it will get complicated when NIL money is the potential reward for winning the starting QB spot and the staff decides to go with the other QB for instance. And there will be some jealousy.

I mean, it's well known Clemson was paying croots, did they have more problems than anyone else?

Depends, I doubt Clemson or any program was forking over 7 figure deals to any recruits. Now, borderline 4 stars can be making $100k plus and there will be multiple players pulling down 7 figures around the country. And those pre-NIL illegal payments were under the table - kids and coaches kept it hush, hush for the most part. Now it's not only out in the open but kid's names, images and likenesses are going to be plastered all over print, television and internet media - NIL is taking exposure to a whole new level, and it's going to inflate these teenagers egos to a whole new level as well - I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

Last edited:
Depends, I doubt Clemson or any program was forking over 7 figure deals to any recruits. Now, borderline 4 stars can be making $100k plus and there will be multiple players pulling down 7 figures around the country. And those pre-NIL illegal payments were under the table - kids and coaches kept it hush, hush for the most part. Now it's not only out in the open but kid's names, images and likenesses are going to be plastered all over print, television and internet media - NIL is taking exposure to a whole new level, and it's going to inflate these teenagers egos to a whole new level as well - I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

I think it will be a new skill for staffs to master, keeping kids happy and the team cohesive despite NIL differences. The programs who do it best will have a leg up.

I think it will be a new skill for staffs to master, keeping kids happy and the team cohesive despite NIL differences. The programs who do it best will have a leg up.

I think keeping their egos in check and behavior in-line will be a much bigger priority than keeping them happy. And if the NCAA and member schools want to keep some semblance of the notion of student athlete, good luck with that. I think this really has the possibility of creating more academic scandals than we've seen in the past. Sure, a kid making $300k can afford a private tutor, but it's a lot easier to pay someone to do the work or bribe a TA, etc, etc.

Over the past 25 years, the things that turned me off from pro sports have been slowly creeping in and ruining college sports. NIL may be a way for SOME kids to benefit from the money that certain sports generate and it's somewhat of a relief that it's not all going to the ultra corrupt NCAA, but it's a far cry from equitable and there's no way it's going to fix what's wrong (the problem is too much money, adding more doesn't come close to fixing it). There's a lot yet to be seen but I'm concerned this will do more harm than good.

Last edited:
I think keeping their egos in check and behavior in-line will be a much bigger priority than keeping them happy. And if the NCAA and member schools want to keep some semblance of the notion of student athlete, good luck with that. I think this really has the possibility of creating more academic scandals than we've seen in the past. Sure, a kid making $300k can afford a private tutor, but it's a lot easier to pay someone to do the work or bribe a TA, etc, etc.

Over the past 25 years, the things that turned me off from pro sports have been slowly creeping in and ruining college sports. NIL may be a way for SOME kids to benefit from the money that certain sports generate and it's somewhat of a relief that it's not all going to the ultra corrupt NCAA, but it's a far cry from equitable and there's no way it's going to fix what's wrong (the problem is too much money, adding more doesn't come close to fixing it). There's a lot yet to be seen but I'm concerned this will do more harm than good.

The term, "student athlete" was created out of thin air by the NCAA because they didn't want to be on the hook for paying worker's comp to injured football players. And it's been meaningless for a long time already. You've got guys who made the Academic All Big Ten teams literally score illiterate on the Wonderlic intelligence test at the NFL combine, seriously, dude scored a 9 when a score of under 13 is considered illiterate. You've got dozens of kids graduating from 1 Big Ten Football program without ever even having to declare a major. Serious, you can get a BA with Undeclared written on it at some Big Ten schools.

Love that the recruits and players are finally getting paid. It was a totally corrupt system before, now at least it's out in the open. This is a $10 Billion a year industry, the reason people pay for it is the players and they were getting nothing. They were getting forced into joke majors for the most part because, let's face it, not everyone belongs as a student at a major university. At least now they're getting a head start on life with some money in college. And for some, it might be the only real money they ever earn from sports.

And it's appearing like it will drive some real parity into the game. TAMU broke Alabama's streak of top recruiting classes with the best class of all time. Louisville right now just landed the #1 Rb in the country in 5 star Reuben Owens, and are in on several other big time recruits. MSU seems to have stepped up recruiting.

This is a shake up. A shake up to a system where coaches, schools, and TV networks were making $billions off the free labor everyone is paying to watch. A system that used kids up and threw them out if they got hurt. A system that would sell that player's jersey's for a profit long after they left the school and not give them a dime of the money. You had video games generating $millions with the names of the players being used in the games and their pictures on the covers to advertise them, and the players getting zilch for it.

Student Athlete. It hasn't met anything really since the 60s for the bulk of college football and basketball players. The coaches are getting rich, the Ads are getting rich, the support staff is making money, the vendors are making money, the referees are paid, the parking attendants get paid, the announcers are well paid, so now the players who are the reason for all of it are getting something, good.

The term, "student athlete" was created out of thin air by the NCAA because they didn't want to be on the hook for paying worker's comp to injured football players. And it's been meaningless for a long time already. You've got guys who made the Academic All Big Ten teams literally score illiterate on the Wonderlic intelligence test at the NFL combine, seriously, dude scored a 9 when a score of under 13 is considered illiterate. You've got dozens of kids graduating from 1 Big Ten Football program without ever even having to declare a major. Serious, you can get a BA with Undeclared written on it at some Big Ten schools.

That's not true, there are plenty of scholarship athletes in non revenue sports and athletes in football and basketball that are students first. The overwhelming majority of scholarship athletes have no shot at turning pro. It's still not meaningless to those kids. There are plenty of anecdotes of functional illiterates getting degrees because they were great athletes, but they're anecdotes and probably represent a small portion of the barely 1% of athletes who will go pro. It's a very weak rationalization to justify throwing millions of dollars into an already corrupted system through NIL. And it's doing a disservice to the delusional kids who haven't gotten the wake up call about their chances of making it as a professional athlete.

Love that the recruits and players are finally getting paid. It was a totally corrupt system before, now at least it's out in the open. This is a $10 Billion a year industry, the reason people pay for it is the players and they were getting nothing. They were getting forced into joke majors for the most part because, let's face it, not everyone belongs as a student at a major university. At least now they're getting a head start on life with some money in college. And for some, it might be the only real money they ever earn from sports.

And it's appearing like it will drive some real parity into the game. TAMU broke Alabama's streak of top recruiting classes with the best class of all time. Louisville right now just landed the #1 Rb in the country in 5 star Reuben Owens, and are in on several other big time recruits. MSU seems to have stepped up recruiting.

This is a shake up. A shake up to a system where coaches, schools, and TV networks were making $billions off the free labor everyone is paying to watch. A system that used kids up and threw them out if they got hurt. A system that would sell that player's jersey's for a profit long after they left the school and not give them a dime of the money. You had video games generating $millions with the names of the players being used in the games and their pictures on the covers to advertise them, and the players getting zilch for it.

I'm fine that kids are getting paid, but I don't like how it's happening. It's not shaking things up in a good way - the NCAA will continue their corrupt ways and NIL as it's currently being rolled out is more likely to make things worse than it is to fix a broken system. Telling me coaches are overpaid and the NCAA makes too much money isn't an argument for paying players, it's an argument for addressing those issues. And I couldn't care less about parity if it's going to destroy more lives in the process. This isn't going to fix what's wrong with college football and basketball.

Student Athlete. It hasn't met anything really since the 60s for the bulk of college football and basketball players. The coaches are getting rich, the Ads are getting rich, the support staff is making money, the vendors are making money, the referees are paid, the parking attendants get paid, the announcers are well paid, so now the players who are the reason for all of it are getting something, good.

This is simply not true - the bulk of football and basketball players have no shot at going pro and even if they all think they're in the 1%, feeding their delusion by handing them hundreds of thousands of dollars as teenagers isn't going to fix anything - it's virtually guaranteed to make it worse.

Something like 20% of NFL players go bankrupt within a few years of retirement. Do you think that's going to be better or worse for people 5 or 6 years younger? If these kids are delusional about their prospects for making it in the NFL, will giving them tons of money wake them up or feed their delusion?

Last edited:
So, 4 star DE Bai Jobe, 62nd overall ranked recruit in the country dropped a top 3 tonight. It was expected to be a 3 team race, Miami, Vandy, and MSU. Top 3 comes in Bama, MSU, and Oklahoma. Bama not really recruiting him and OU insiders say they?re out. Balls rolling in for Bai to MSU. Obviously one of the top out of state recruits we?ve ever landed if it happens. Probably has already told our coaches he?s in. Freak edge rusher.

What?s the deal with crouch? Don?t recall hearing he was transferring out. Last conversation I remember saying he was a disappointment while others said he figured out the defense and started being a playmaker late in the year.

Haven?t seen any headlines newer than 4/29 - the day he announced he was entering the portal again. I assume he?s concerned about playing time with the transfers we have coming in at his position. Any word on his status?

What?s the deal with crouch? Don?t recall hearing he was transferring out. Last conversation I remember saying he was a disappointment while others said he figured out the defense and started being a playmaker late in the year.

Haven?t seen any headlines newer than 4/29 - the day he announced he was entering the portal again. I assume he?s concerned about playing time with the transfers we have coming in at his position. Any word on his status?

He's transferring out. The door has been shut on him returning. When we went out and got Brule and Windom, he was going to have to work to remain a starter. Kid has all the talent you want, but might not love football enough. I thought before he got hurt last year he was really coming on, he was an enforcer out there. But we're pretty stacked at LB right now.

Should be an outstanding few weeks for MSU recruiting. I think we'll land Jobe soon. Elliot Washington is still a near lock to flip to us from Bama, top 110 player as a safety. And the Harris twins, LBs from FL, are slated to join the class any day now. Both 4 stars. Plus I think we land a 4 star OT later this month in Payton Kirkland, and maybe another in Chase Bisontis, a top 70 player.

He's transferring out. The door has been shut on him returning. When we went out and got Brule and Windom, he was going to have to work to remain a starter. Kid has all the talent you want, but might not love football enough. I thought before he got hurt last year he was really coming on, he was an enforcer out there. But we're pretty stacked at LB right now.

Should be an outstanding few weeks for MSU recruiting. I think we'll land Jobe soon. Elliot Washington is still a near lock to flip to us from Bama, top 110 player as a safety. And the Harris twins, LBs from FL, are slated to join the class any day now. Both 4 stars. Plus I think we land a 4 star OT later this month in Payton Kirkland, and maybe another in Chase Bisontis, a top 70 player.

This Jobe kid seems a bit undersized. I know these kids can pack on weight fast and he's an edge rusher but at 6'4 215, he seems small for an outside linebacker.

This Jobe kid seems a bit undersized. I know these kids can pack on weight fast and he's an edge rusher but at 6'4 215, he seems small for an outside linebacker.

I'm betting if he was 250 he'd have a 5th star. That offer list is enough for me to be excited

Back