Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

The Jalen Thompson recruiting saga has entered a new chapter. He's been crystal balled to MSU for a long time, but the staff has slow played him, they canceled his official visit a while back after we landed Bai Jobe. Thompson wants to be a Spartan. Not really leaking out as much as people are reading the tea leaves now, but he could be a take now. #195th composite player in the country from Detroit Cass Tech. 6-3, 245 lb DE.

Rivals insiders have been hinting he's committed to MSU now, but who knows if that's true or when it might go public. I think the thought is the staff likes him as a player, but he doesn't have the measurables they want. And we have 2 stud DEs in the fold already. Maybe the thought is Depaepe may move inside. We're also going to save a spot for an elite DE down the road, we're still in on a few top 100 guys.

Thompson is a take and should be committing to MSU very soon. He also was a take for Ohio State and Penn State, those were the other schools he almost picked.

Jalen Thompson is committing to Michigan State at 5 pm today. No idea why the staff was on the fence about him being a take, but Ohio State and Penn State really wanted him.6-3, 245 lbs with a long frame, #197 composite player in the country. Probably doesn't have the frame to play inside.

3 star 2023 GA CB Colton Hood commits to MSU. Was reedy to commit months ago but we wanted to see some senior film first. Offers from Clemson, PSU, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss etc. Has a 4 star offer list.

Watching Audric Estime in the osu/nd game was a real bummer. He didn't have a great average but only got 9 carries and had a couple really nice runs. He's a bruiser like TJ Ducket or Jehu Caulkrik or John Clay from Wisconsin. Supposedly he has nice hands and speed to run outside as well but he wasn't featured much during the game so who knows.

Spoke to my nephew who grew up in East Lansing (currently senior at osu). One of his friends is a walk-on TE at MSU who told him about Quavaris. Apparently the kid is a freak of an athlete but was totally disengaged. Never watched film, never studied the playbook, didn't pay attention in meetings, etc. As a result he couldn't direct players or read offenses and make on-field adjustments. Not good for your Mike linebacker who's supposed to be the QB of the defense to not know wtf is going on. Doesn't sound like he entered the portal on his own or at least no one tried to talk him out of it.

Last edited:
Spoke to my nephew who grew up in East Lansing (currently senior at osu). One of his friends is a walk-on TE at MSU who told him about Quavaris. Apparently the kid is a freak of an athlete but was totally disengaged. Never watched film, never studied the playbook, didn't pay attention in meetings, etc. As a result he couldn't direct players or read offenses and make on-field adjustments. Not good for your Mike linebacker who's supposed to be the QB of the defense to not know wtf is going on. Doesn't sound like he entered the portal on his own or at least no one tried to talk him out of it.

That was the word about him. Didn't really care enough. Going out and getting both Windom and Brule made Crouch totally expendable. I think he basically was kicked off the team.

Watching Audric Estime in the osu/nd game was a real bummer. He didn't have a great average but only got 9 carries and had a couple really nice runs. He's a bruiser like TJ Ducket or Jehu Caulkrik or John Clay from Wisconsin. Supposedly he has nice hands and speed to run outside as well but he wasn't featured much during the game so who knows.

If we had landed Estime, we probably don't add Kenneth Walker last off season.

If we had landed Estime, we probably don't add Kenneth Walker last off season.

because we wouldn't go after him or because he wouldn't come here?

that's a pretty big maybe and in hindsight it may be worth trading 4 years of and unknown Estime for the year we got from Walker, but that's hindsight (so far). It wasn't obvious at the time that Walker was going to have a heisman candidate kind of year. And it's also not obvious that we wouldn't go after an experienced back like Walker because we landed an underrated 3 star we really liked - the cupboard was pretty bare at the time. We took 2 transfers this year with basically the same stable of backs we had when we took Walker.

2022 4 Star DE Ken Talley has transferred to MSU after only being at Penn State for the Summer. Will redshirt of course. But is a nice addition to the 2022 class, #273 ranked player overall. This is a Brandon Jordan kid, Jordan knows him and the kid wanted to play for him.

Scouting report from his 247Sports profile: Frame can hold 250 pounds. Offers position versatility as strong side or weak side defensive end. Is physical and plays with energy. Does not quit on plays. Hard hitter who tackles through ball carrier. Has some explosiveness and ability to accelerate to the ball carrier. Plays with suddenness and is heavy handed. Strong at the point of attack and anchors against run. Wins leverage battle. Can disengage and redirect to make tackle. Displayed speed off edge. Good body control. Changes direction well. Sifts through traffic to make plays. Has a good swim move. Has to improve stamina. Adding flexibility to dip and get around edge important. Continued strength development is important. Has to work on technique and be more consistent crossing face of blockers. Multi-year starter at Top 20 program.

Last edited:

Another thin my nephew told me that I couldn?t recall at the time is that the d-backs top to bottom except Kimbrough and Brantley get burned up and down the field constantly/non-stop during practice. He said they?re all awful except those 2 and Brantley while fast and decent in coverage weighs less than 160 - apparently he?s still tiny.

not a big surprise. What's the over/under on decommits from 2023?

- not counting the 3 we've already had.

Not sure if these kids really see it that way. I'm thinking knowing you're gonna walk in and play is a bonus, not a deterrent.

Back