Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

2 more decommits from the 2023 class - 3 star CB Colton Hood decommits and immediately flips to Auburn while 3 star OL Jonathan Slack has decommitted and reopened his recruiting. Good thing OL andn CB were flipped to positions of strength in 2022 otherwise, some might consider this a problem. Hood is the second class of 2023 recruit to flip to Auburn.

That's 7 decommits so far. The class goes from top 10 at its peak to an unimpressive 47th place ranking. Although a different sort of disaster, this class is turning out to be as big a disaster as 2016.

For some reason, 5 star OL Samson Okunlola recently put us in his top 4 along with Alabama, Florida and Miami. Perhaps he hasn't been paying attention to what's happening in East Lansing. Kinda makes me wonder if it's not a joke - like he's playing a game of "which one of these is not like the others? Which one of these just doesn't belong?" Are kids still allowed to play that hyper-discriminatory non-inclusive game? Anyway, the only thing that makes me think maybe it's not is Miami is also in the mix.

Edit: Auburn also flips 4 star OL Connor Lew fr Miami - that's some pretty impressive flipping they're doing. When was the last time MSU had 2 four-star commits on the offensive line? have we ever had them in back-to-back years, let alone one year?

Last edited:
2 more decommits from the 2023 class - 3 star CB Colton Hood decommits and immediately flips to Auburn while 3 star OL Jonathan Slack has decommitted and reopened his recruiting. Good thing OL andn CB were flipped to positions of strength in 2022 otherwise, some might consider this a problem. Hood is the second class of 2023 recruit to flip to Auburn.

That's 7 decommits so far. The class goes from top 10 at its peak to an unimpressive 47th place ranking. Although a different sort of disaster, this class is turning out to be as big a disaster as 2016.

For some reason, 5 star OL Samson Okunlola recently put us in his top 4 along with Alabama, Florida and Miami. Perhaps he hasn't been paying attention to what's happening in East Lansing. Kinda makes me wonder if it's not a joke - like he's playing a game of "which one of these is not like the others? Which one of these just doesn't belong?" Are kids still allowed to play that hyper-discriminatory non-inclusive game? Anyway, the only thing that makes me think maybe it's not is Miami is also in the mix.

Edit: Auburn also flips 4 star OL Connor Lew fr Miami - that's some pretty impressive flipping they're doing. When was the last time MSU had 2 four-star commits on the offensive line? have we ever had them in back-to-back years, let alone one year?

I would say Alabama is the one not like the others. Miami and Florida are just as much of a dumpster fire as MSU. I did see MSU just got another transfer from Wisconsin. Saw his post on Twitter but can?t remember name and looked like he moved from OLB from TE.

I would say Alabama is the one not like the others. Miami and Florida are just as much of a dumpster fire as MSU. I did see MSU just got another transfer from Wisconsin. Saw his post on Twitter but can?t remember name and looked like he moved from OLB from TE.

Jaylan Franklin is the TE transfer from wisco. I wonder if he'll be as electric as Berger.

Miami has it's challenges being a small urban school that plays their games way off campus and they're in the ACC. I like Florida's prospects a lot better than ours. I doubt you'll find any recruits that put Florida on the same plane as MSU. Same with coaches - I'd be surprised if anyone thinks the MSU job is favorable to or on par with Gainesville. They're a premier program in a football talent hotbed in the best conference in college football. As for us, reputationally we're at best 4th place in our division.

Last edited:
9 of the 10 current verbals are 4 star. Already tied with the most we've ever had. Likely to land a couple more. Would you rather he add some 2 star mac talent like Dantonio to fill out the class?

Even if this class ended as is(it wont), it'll likely be the most talented group since Saban was here.

As far as the 2 recent decommits, Sounds like Slack has academic issues and Hood is going to a school in his home state. Those 2 don't really bother me. More bummed by Germie Bernard entering the portal. Sounds like he's also heading home to Washington.

Jaylan Franklin is the TE transfer from wisco. I wonder if he'll be as electric as Berger.

Miami has it's challenges being a small urban school that plays their games way off campus and they're in the ACC. I like Florida's prospects a lot better than ours. I doubt you'll find any recruits that put Florida on the same plane as MSU. Same with coaches - I'd be surprised if anyone thinks the MSU job is favorable to or on par with Gainesville. They're a premier program in a football talent hotbed in the best conference in college football. As for us, reputationally we're at best 4th place in our division.

UF is the bigger program but they have struggled since Tebow. They keep burning through coaches.

9 of the 10 current verbals are 4 star. Already tied with the most we've ever had. Likely to land a couple more. Would you rather he add some 2 star mac talent like Dantonio to fill out the class?

Even if this class ended as is(it wont), it'll likely be the most talented group since Saban was here.

As far as the 2 recent decommits, Sounds like Slack has academic issues and Hood is going to a school in his home state. Those 2 don't really bother me. More bummed by Germie Bernard entering the portal. Sounds like he's also heading home to Washington.

It?s more about the trend than anything else. The last couple decommits don?t hurt as much as other higher rated ones but incrementally, it?s not a good sign. Apparently the OL guy has lost 30th s and missed a bunch of games his senior year. But these 2 make 7 out of a class of 17 and the class has dropped ~40 spots in national rankings. That?s not a good sign even if we set a record for 4 stars. Apparently we?re in the mix for 10 other uncommitted or unsigned commits including a few 4 stars and Okunla

UF is the bigger program but they have struggled since Tebow. They keep burning through coaches.

True, but a good coach can turn them around a lot easier than that same coach could turn MSU around. Florida produces way more in-state talent, they?re not the clear 2nd option, they?re in a better conference, they?re more of a national brand and they have the weather advantage.

Edit: they currently have the 10th ranked class and I bet they?ve out-recruited us just about every year even post Tebow.

Last edited:
It?s more about the trend than anything else. The last couple decommits don?t hurt as much as other higher rated ones but incrementally, it?s not a good sign. Apparently the OL guy has lost 30th s and missed a bunch of games his senior year. But these 2 make 7 out of a class of 17 and the class has dropped ~40 spots in national rankings. That?s not a good sign even if we set a record for 4 stars. Apparently we?re in the mix for 10 other uncommitted or unsigned commits including a few 4 stars and Okunla

Its just a different time in recruiting for all of us "old timers". These verbals don't mean anything. Kids just verbal for social media attention. The more they flip, the more attention. Signing day next week is all you should really pay attention to.

Its just a different time in recruiting for all of us "old timers". These verbals don't mean anything. Kids just verbal for social media attention. The more they flip, the more attention. Signing day next week is all you should really pay attention to.

Maybe, but I'd be pretty shocked if we moved up significantly on or after signing day - we're usually the ones that are disappointed especially when it comes to elite basketball talent. And I'd be even more surprised if it was because a bunch of the decommits ended up signing LOIs to MSU. Most of them, if I'm not mistaken have already given verbals elsewhere.

You really follow the Twitter of a rival coach? Kinda cringey bud

You really just assume I follow the twitter of a rival coach? Kinda cringey... bud.

Michigan twitter people posted it, and said he tweeted it around the time Bernard announced he was leaving, so I watched it.

It's lame... not even an impressive putt to sink. And the absurd over-production/graphic design? what's he thinking?

Jaelon Barbarin, a 2023 three-star running back from Chaminade College Preparatory School in West Hills, Calif., announced his commitment to the Spartans.

From 47th to 33rd in team rankings with the 2 commits today.

very weird, when I looked on my phone earlier 247 had us at 47th but now on my PC it looks like it says we moved from 39 to 33 unless the 39 in the box under the 33 means something other than prior ranking. It doesn't appear as though the rankings include transfers and it's hard to imagine we'd jump 14 spots adding 2 three star kid. I confess, I have no idea how the team composite rankings work but clearly there's a significant quantity component since we were 23rd last year with just 6 four stars but 17 three stars.

Also, I've seen 2 articles that say 9 of our 10 commits were 4 stars, as you said above but 247 shows 8 and Rivals has 7 (they have Ramil as a 3 star currently). Rivals also has our class ranked 45th, they have Barbarin and Johnson, but maybe they haven't updated the overall rankings.

Last edited:
Back