Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

Id be more worried if he left for a school like Pitt, Cincinnati or Kentucky. Losing a kid to Auburn doesn't concern me as much.

Auburn is as much of a trainwreck as MSU right now. Guess he just preferred playing on one closer to home.

Auburn is as much of a trainwreck as MSU right now. Guess he just preferred playing on one closer to home.

I would maybe argue Auburn is an even worse dumpster fire. On the flip side At least they can probably retool/rebuild quicker than MSU, there?s a bit of a built in advantage at an SEC school like Auburn.

Last edited:
Not sure if these kids really see it that way. I'm thinking knowing you're gonna walk in and play is a bonus, not a deterrent.

Doesn't look like this kid sees it that way. It may be better than losing a kid to Pitt, Cinci, etc, but that's putting lipstick on a pig - it's still bad.

It may be harder for freshman to play on the O-line than other positions, so that could factor in but it's definitely a position group where there is opportunity for early contributors. To me, this loss is bigger given his position and how badly we need to improve recruiting for linemen.

Last edited:
He?s from Florida, a lot of people are saying he wanted to be closer to home.

Doesn't look like this kid sees it that way. It may be better than losing a kid to Pitt, Cinci, etc, but that's putting lipstick on a pig - it's still bad.

It may be harder for freshman to play on the O-line than other positions, so that could factor in but it's definitely a position group where there is opportunity for early contributors. To me, this loss is bigger given his position and how badly we need to improve recruiting for linemen.

Well thankfully we have 2 higher ranked OL and 1 that was just below him.

Well thankfully we have 2 higher ranked OL and 1 that was just below him.

hopefully they all stick. Even if this is it for defections, I'm not expecting any miracles - if we have above average success on the field with this class, it's still going to be rough going. After watching this team, I think 7-6 in '23 would be HUGE.

4-star RB Kedrick Reescano has decommitted from Michigan State. Tucker better start keeping some of these recruits. I think the only thing he does better than Dantonio is recruiting. If he doesn?t have the players he can?t develop them like Mark did and his game management isn?t very good.

4-star RB Kedrick Reescano has decommitted from Michigan State. Tucker better start keeping some of these recruits. I think the only thing he does better than Dantonio is recruiting. If he doesn?t have the players he can?t develop them like Mark did and his game management isn?t very good.

Ah, more good news. At least, according to Johnny, the transfer RBs we got this year means we don?t have to worry about this position as the combo isn?t much of a drop off from Walker. It's probably not a big deal that we don't have a running back in this class anymore cuz Broussard is ELECTRIC!).

The '23 class is quickly slipping in the rankings - down to 41 in Rivals, 31 in 247 but that shows us moving up 2 spots from 33rd so clearly they haven't updated their rankings since sometime before this news hit. We're 1 game past the midway pt of the season and a full 1/3 of the 4 stars have decommitted - that's a lot of kids that don't see the value in the opportunity to walk in and play right away. I wonder how that compares to other teams with top 30 classes (or former top 30 classes).

I wonder how many people still think we had no choice but to give Tucker $90mm guaranteed with no buyout clause.

Last edited:

I wonder how many people still think we had no choice but to give Tucker $90mm guaranteed with no buyout clause.

Just you, johnny and sbee.

Hey, on a different note, how come you guys didn't bring Narduzzi to succeed Dantonio?

I couldn't find anything on the coaching search online, and all the links to Narduzzi just show his different "Before and After" comments from your Bowl game.

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Pitt, but they've been solid, and played the better teams in the ACC tough. Dantonio's teams got a lot worse when he left. Seemed like a no-brainer hire.

Just you, johnny and sbee.

Hey, on a different note, how come you guys didn't bring Narduzzi to succeed Dantonio?

I couldn't find anything on the coaching search online, and all the links to Narduzzi just show his different "Before and After" comments from your Bowl game.

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Pitt, but they've been solid, and played the better teams in the ACC tough. Dantonio's teams got a lot worse when he left. Seemed like a no-brainer hire.

I'm the one who said it was a bad idea from the beginning. As I recall, Narduzzi supposedly turned down the interview electing to stay at Pitt. Not sure why it's a no-brainer hire unless by that you meant you would have hired him. The big miss was Fickell turning down the job.

I'm the one who said it was a bad idea from the beginning. As I recall, Narduzzi supposedly turned down the interview electing to stay at Pitt. Not sure why it's a no-brainer hire unless by that you meant you would have hired him. The big miss was Fickell turning down the job.

Fickell has an 0-1 record against "TTUN" or "scUM" (from your perspective), and by the end of the season at OSU had that Thousand Yard Stare you see in combat veterans.

I don't think he was the big miss.

Edit: I do think he is a good coach though, just maybe not a better choice than Narduzzi

Last edited by a moderator:
Fickell has an 0-1 record against "TTUN" or "scUM" (from your perspective), and by the end of the season at OSU had that Thousand Yard Stare you see in combat veterans.

I don't think he was the big miss.

Edit: I do think he is a good coach though, just maybe not a better choice than Narduzzi

that's not my perspective, I prefer uofm to osu and that's 2 games, not exactly a big sample size. Harbaugh and his predecessors have had that stare after a lot more than 1 osu game and they're not recruiting at a former Big East now AAC school.

As for Narduzzi, he's lost at least 5 games in all but one of his seasons at Pitt (went 11-3 in a year they didn't play Clemson). In his 7 years at Pitt, he's 2-2 against Clemson. Clemson had already lost twice in their most recent win and prior to that he got smoked 52-17 and 42-10. He did beat Clemson when they were ranked #2 one time.

I don't know if Fickell is clearly the better choice, but he at least interviewed for the job. And when I say he was the big miss, I don't mean that he would definitely be the savior, just that I don't think he'd be a dumpster fire that can only beat uofm.

Last edited:
so Narduzzi wouldn't even interview? I find that a little unusual.

Mark Hollis was the AD when he left, and wasn't there anymore when Tucker was hired (that was Beekman, right?), so you'd think if this was a burned bridge situation, the newer guy could've built a new one.

I think MSU's a better, higher-profile job than Pitt, and he has history there, but maybe he's happy at Pitt.

All these guys make plenty of money, so I suppose being somewhere with lower expectations & stress makes sense.

I don?t think it was a burned bridge. He probably looked at the progress he?d made at Pitt vs the state of MSU football and didn?t want to start over.

Whoever was taking over for Dantonio at that time was inheriting the worst MSU roster in my lifetime. Its not surprising that 2 guys (Fickell and Narduzzi) didn't want to leave programs with better rosters at that time. He'll it's obvious that msu still hasn't replaced that intial roster with big ten talent across the board.

Wait a sec, MSU still finished with a winning record in both '18 and '19. You can't tell me things were worse in 2020 than before Dantonio's run of success.

Wait a sec, MSU still finished with a winning record in both '18 and '19. You can't tell me things were worse in 2020 than before Dantonio's run of success.

You obviously didn't follow the 30 transfers out once Tucker was hired that all transfered to non power 5 schools. Dantonio had quit recruiting his last couple years.

Bo Edmundson QB from TX has decommitted.

Looks like the staff lost interest but wanted the break to be mutual?

Earlier today, the Michigan State staff and former QB commit Bo Edmundson publicly parted ways. The Austin (TX) Lake Travis product announced his departure from MSU's 2023 recruiting class via social media. Spartan Tailgate sources were notified last week that MSU was looking to move in this direction for a period of time now, but the staff wanted to let Edmundson to come to the same conclusion on his own and take his time making the subsequent announcement.

Apparently he?s been injured most of this year and his rating has dropped off a cliff.

I used to do deploy a similar tactic when I wanted to break up with a girlfriend - just stopped being a good boyfriend until they wud break up with me. It?s so much easier that way.

Last edited:

7-6 both years, 5-4 and 4-5 in B1G play and he lost to uofm 2 years in a row. That?s not good, the team was clearly heading in the wrong direction.

Back