Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Commit

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Dude, Skill is a derivative of knowledge... They go hand in hand. You acquire knowledge of your prey and hone you skill from that knowledge to become a better hunter/fisherman. Did Native Americans just send young hunters out to the forest without first teaching them how to hunt or fish? It's all luck anyway, right? Go get 'em tiger. No, that would be absurd. They were taught strategy, and important info to help them be successful.

Skill is something physical, knowledge is something mental. They don't go hand and hand. For instance, you could know everything there is to know about guns by reading every book out there - then when it comes down to it, you couldn't hit a target five feet in front of you when it came to shooting.

Native Americans hunted with sticks and hand made bows. That does take skill. Hunting with primitive weapons is definitely hard but it was also necessary for them to survive. And for fishing, they couldn't just get a Rapala and some line and go down to the lake. Completely different scenario.
with your last post I'm inclined to just give up. Maybe I'll have more energy to devote tomorrow, but right now I'm done. Good chatting with everyone. I'm out.

For the record I like to think I "Won" this one!

Thanks to my fellow Hunters.

lostleader said:
For the record I like to think I "Won" this one!

Thanks to my fellow Hunters.

negetory my good sir. You still haven't come up with a reason to hunt other than your thirst for bloodshed.

To provide for my family!

I have done told you not every successful hunt ends in a kill.

Example: Sunday I had deer at 6 yards and my choice was to let them walk. It was a great hunt, and nothing died. So you define hunting by killing and that is misinformed.

lostleader said:
To provide for my family!

I have done told you not every successful hunt ends in a kill.

Example: Sunday I had deer at 6 yards and my choice was to let them walk. It was a great hunt, and nothing died. So you define hunting by killing and that is misinformed.

All that it means because you didn't shoot something is that 1. it wasn't what you were hunting for or 2. you were camping or 3. just sitting in the woods. So failed at hunting for what you wanted and succeeded at sitting or camping in the woods.

It was what I was hunting. But is my choice, not to kill.

The hunt is not defined by the kill! <------Not a hard concept to grasp

lostleader said:
It was what I was hunting. But is my choice, not to kill.

The hunt is not defined by the kill! <------Not a hard concept to grasp

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hunting

apparently it is part of the definition:

"the pursuit and killing or capture of game and wild animals, regarded as a sport"

So unless you captured the deer - you weren't hunting for anything. You were just sitting in a tree fort, or something, doing who knows what. Maybe you were "hunting" for a glance at the elusive white tailed deer lol.

lostleader said:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hunts?show=0&t=1320939387

Hunt
1. to manage in the search for game
2. to search out
3. to attempt to find something

Try again. I can deflect your nonsense by playing on your level.

I knew you would bring that definition up.

I just lost a dollar......To myself, stupid rookie

Alright, well, let me rephrase. I have no problem with people hunting deer as long as they don't kill them.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hunts?show=0&t=1320939387

Hunt
1. to manage in the search for game
2. to search out
3. to attempt to find something

Try again. I can deflect your nonsense by playing on your level.

I knew you would bring that definition up.

I just lost a dollar......To myself, stupid rookie

Alright, well, let me rephrase. I have no problem with people hunting deer as long as they don't kill them.

Good enough, but don't hate what you don't understand. Just don't confuse hunting with killing.

lostleader said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

Good enough, but don't hate what you don't understand. Just don't confuse hunting with killing.

Hunting without killing is like fishing without killing I guess. I could see a situation where you'd like the experience without the killing. But I'm not sure many, probably not even more than 1%, hunt without the intent to kill something at the end. Where as plenty of people fish just to fish and release.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:

Hunting without killing is like fishing without killing I guess. I could see a situation where you'd like the experience without the killing. But I'm not sure many, probably not even more than 1%, hunt without the intent to kill something at the end. Where as plenty of people fish just to fish and release.

I hunt with the intent to harvest, but that rarely happens. I am ok with that, thats why its call hunting not killing.

Fishing is different, how many foul hooked fish have you killed for your own joy. You don't eat the fish you throw them back and hope they live.

lostleader said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

I hunt with the intent to harvest, but that rarely happens. I am ok with that, thats why its call hunting not killing.

Fishing is different, how many foul hooked fish have you killed for your own joy. You don't eat the fish you throw them back and hope they live.

I don't know if I've ever killed a fish. Since I only fish for fun - we've always taken the second hook off our lures. Maybe when I was little I accidentally let a fish swallow a worm too far, but generally you can cut the line and the hook will rust out no problem. So unless there's a dead one I don't know about - I don't think I've ever killed a fish.

Now I know some of the fish I have caught - other people have killed. Like I caught some carp on the Detroit river once and gave it to some homeless, or very poor, guy that was fishing by me to eat. He put it in a bucket of water so it wasn't me who killed it.

but back to the hook thing, that's always been our trick. I usually take off the back lure so it doesn't affect the action of the lure. Sometimes you miss out on a fish because of it but it makes it so that they don't get all torn up. There has been some times when we used two hooks where the second hook got caught on the outside (which is why we stopped using it) but I don't think those injuries lead to any deaths. either way accidentally killing a fish while fishing is completely different than purposely killing a deer while hunting. In fishing I do everything I can not to kill the fish and so far have been successful at doing so.

You haven't done a lot of fishing. At least not serious fishing, IMO. Fish become foul hooked all the time. If you clip a gill the fish will bleed, and have a higher mortality rate.

Anyway, I got to get my fix for my thirst for blood. Time to head to the woods!

Poor fishy. How about we put a hook through your lip, then hold your head under water for a minute or two while we work the hook out. How can you be that insensitive MB09? You Monster!!

Jever4321 said:
Poor fishy. How about we put a hook through your lip, then hold your head under water for a minute or two while we work the hook out. How can you be that insensitive MB09? You Monster!!

Actually fish have no nerves in their lips - so hooking them causes absolutely no pain.

lostleader said:
You haven't done a lot of fishing. At least not serious fishing, IMO. Fish become foul hooked all the time. If you clip a gill the fish will bleed, and have a higher mortality rate.

Anyway, I got to get my fix for my thirst for blood. Time to head to the woods!

Depends on what kind of fishing, I've gone deep sea fishing one time. All of those fish the little Mexican people took home to eat.

99% of the other fishing I've done is bass fishing. And as I've said, all my lures only have one hook on them so there's pretty much no way to actually hook their gills. Outside of bass fishing I haven't really done much else. I've caught a few pike before, but never had any problems getting the hook out. I've never done trout fishing or anything like that before. Almost always bass fishing. That's what all my equipment is for.

Back