Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Commit

TheVictors03 said:
[quote author=maizeandblue09 board=wolverines thread=3062 post=77369 time=1320793088]

....For instance, killing a chicken would be a lot easier than killing a cow.

In more ways than one....

As for hunters, I always recall my mother's accounts from the ER at Munson Medical Center where she worked for years. She said at the onset of hunting season they would see an increase in people coming to the HR with hunting related injuries.

Number one she said was injuries sustained from accidents involving alcohol, ranging from falling out of a tree blind to accidental shootings.

Drinking and guns = not good. There are many morons who hunt that shouldn't.

bavarianinnman said:
I am looking forward to the firearm season. I got property next to county park property I just wait for them to cross a fence and their dead meat. I enjoy spending fall, and winter nights in my blind watching the birds and squirrels and other wildlife do theinr thing in front of me. I love watching the fawns just prance in front of me and play while their supposed to be eating. While their mom takes 45 minutes to walk 20 feet to get in my shooting lane.

I love the deer meat. Cannot get enough, I usually take 2 deer a seaon usually a nice buck and later in the season a nice doe.

But Do you other hunters also Eat the deer heart? It is my favorite part of the deer. I Eat it after im done field dressing it, and hanging the deer in the garage for a few days before butchering it and packaging it myself.

I used to process my own deer. I didn't last year and probably wont this year, just don't have a lot of time these days. I have all the equipment, feels like a waste not to use it.

newton83 said:
M&B09: Are you aware of the role hunters play in population control? Deer are able to feed on farmer's crops / private gardens and so inhabit a wide range without much in the way of predators aside from vehicle accidents. It's actually more humane to "thin the herd" than to have the population bloom out of control and overwhelm the food supply, leading to sickly, underfed animals that are susceptible to disease like TB. It's clear you don't know much on the topic if you think trying for a headshot is a good idea.

I am NOT backing MB09, but you're not 'thinning the herd' by trying to take out the biggest buck. If you were truly trying to 'thin the herd,' you'd take out the lame and the weak. Knocking out a big buck takes those genes out of the genepool. You're actually damaging the herd by targetting a big buck. Just take out the next doe you see and you'll be doing the herd more good than taking out that big buck...but no one really cares about 'thinning the herd.' It sounds good, but no on really does that.

DR said:
TheVictors03 said:
Well TomVH seems to think his decision not to enroll early as he always said he would do at Ohio* is a bigger indicator ...that and his reaction following the loss to Sparty.

I'd obviously defer to him, that picture just made me puke...

I guess it wasn't quite as bad as I remember from my drunken state on Saturday, but it's bad...

Hungry said:
newton83 said:
M&B09: Are you aware of the role hunters play in population control? Deer are able to feed on farmer's crops / private gardens and so inhabit a wide range without much in the way of predators aside from vehicle accidents. It's actually more humane to "thin the herd" than to have the population bloom out of control and overwhelm the food supply, leading to sickly, underfed animals that are susceptible to disease like TB. It's clear you don't know much on the topic if you think trying for a headshot is a good idea.

I am NOT backing MB09, but you're not 'thinning the herd' by trying to take out the biggest buck. If you were truly trying to 'thin the herd,' you'd take out the lame and the weak. Knocking out a big buck takes those genes out of the genepool. You're actually damaging the herd by targetting a big buck. Just take out the next doe you see and you'll be doing the herd more good than taking out that big buck...but no one really cares about 'thinning the herd.' It sounds good, but no on really does that.

You can MANAGE your deer herd by taking mature doe's ( deer that usually give birth to more than one fawn ) and allow smaller bucks to live. This is for the sportsman and the enviromentalist. You have bigger bucks and less deer. I have personally witnessed this. We had way too many Doe's and Bucks rarely made it past 2 1/2 years of age. We eliminated some mature Doe's and over the last couple years our deer population has been reduced and the Bucks are a lot bigger. You can shoot Big Bucks, just make sure you manage your doe population.

Hungry said:
newton83 said:

That sounds a little like you're backing me.....

To further your point, because it is a good one, if they were really interested in thinning the deer population - they wouldn't put such a small limit on how many you shoot per year.

bavarianinnman said:
I am looking forward to the firearm season. I got property next to county park property I just wait for them to cross a fence and their dead meat. I enjoy spending fall, and winter nights in my blind watching the birds and squirrels and other wildlife do theinr thing in front of me. I love watching the fawns just prance in front of me and play while their supposed to be eating. While their mom takes 45 minutes to walk 20 feet to get in my shooting lane.

I love the deer meat. Cannot get enough, I usually take 2 deer a seaon usually a nice buck and later in the season a nice doe.

But Do you other hunters also Eat the deer heart? It is my favorite part of the deer. I Eat it after im done field dressing it, and hanging the deer in the garage for a few days before butchering it and packaging it myself.

That's pretty gross....

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
newton83 said:

I never said a headshot was a good idea. I just simply was making the point that unless you were shooting them in the head - getting hit by the car at 70mph usually kills them faster.

Secondly, my proposal is to release wolves and bear back into the population to let nature take it's course. The only reason there's a deer problem is because hunters already wiped out two populations of other species.

I can't believe you went their. Study up on the behavior of both animals. Bears will not put much impact on the population, The will take out the sick ones and maybe the young. But overall bears are not great hunters.

Wolves on the other hand should be SHOT ON SIGHT! They serve little purpose and will kill other animals just for the thrill of the kill.
My purposed wolf control = Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!

Sorry to interrupt this riveting deer conversations, but.....

Johnson Realizing a Dream

Drake Johnson
By Sam Webb
Managing Editor
Posted Nov 8, 2011

Tuesday morning brought a moment that Drake Johnson hasd been waiting for for much of his life, and didn't see coming. "I was not expecting the (Michigan) offer today," said Johnson. "This is what I woke up to, so it's a pretty great day." Johnson selected the Wolverines over an offer from Eastern Michigan and increasing interest from Iowa, Syracuse, Indiana, Toledo, and a host of others.

For Drake Johnson, today was slated to unfold like any other day off from school; sleep in, homework, then football practice. That plan, however, was disrupted in the early morning hours when his mother began phoning him frantically about a development that would change his young life.

greenandwhite95 said:
Hungry said:

You can MANAGE your deer herd by taking mature doe's ( deer that usually give birth to more than one fawn ) and allow smaller bucks to live. This is for the sportsman and the enviromentalist. You have bigger bucks and less deer. I have personally witnessed this. We had way too many Doe's and Bucks rarely made it past 2 1/2 years of age. We eliminated some mature Doe's and over the last couple years our deer population has been reduced and the Bucks are a lot bigger. You can shoot Big Bucks, just make sure you manage your doe population.

You manage a deer herd by taking out the does. This cuts down on the amount of deer being born in the spring. That cuts down on the number of deer being shot the next year. If you keep that pattern eventually you will drop the size of the herd, substantially. However that is not the reason Michigan has smaller bucks. Its the two buck limit hunters have. Most people are not going to take the does when they get 2 bucks. They don't need the meat and people get hard-ons over bone, regardless of the size. Cut the bag limit down to 1 buck and watch your deer population size shrink and the buck size go up. (Population size may not decrease)

Johnson is from across the street...maybe somebody at Micigan got a chance to see something nobody else got a chance to see...

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
newton83 said:

I never said a headshot was a good idea. I just simply was making the point that unless you were shooting them in the head - getting hit by the car at 70mph usually kills them faster.

Secondly, my proposal is to release wolves and bear back into the population to let nature take it's course. The only reason there's a deer problem is because hunters already wiped out two populations of other species.

This is a pretty good idea, but why stop there? Why not throw in a whole bunch of lions and tigers brought in from Africa and Asia?

lostleader said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

I can't believe you went their. Study up on the behavior of both animals. Bears will not put much impact on the population, The will take out the sick ones and maybe the young. But overall bears are not great hunters.

Wolves on the other hand should be SHOT ON SIGHT! They serve little purpose and will kill other animals just for the thrill of the kill.
My purposed wolf control = Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!

Black bears are not great at hunting adult deer - but are especially good at hunting young fawns.

Wolfs would be great at taking down the deer population. Their purpose is just like any other animal - to naturally balance the level of prey. If they didn't serve a purpose there wouldn't be a deer over-population that you use to justify your need for blood shed.

I'm sorry you are inconvenienced by nature and you'll have to watch your small poodle outside while it takes a dump. We have to kill deer to keep their populations down for a reason - and that reason is we already killed off all of their natural predators.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

This is a pretty good idea, but why stop there? Why not throw in a whole bunch of lions and tigers brought in from Africa and Asia?

Because, as with any un-natural species, you don't know the effect it would have on the environment. Black bears and wolves were native to Michigan until we killed them off. We know exactly what their impact would be. And lastly, I'm guessing lion wouldn't be very good at surviving the Michigan winter.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

Because, as with any un-natural species, you don't know the effect it would have on the environment. Black bears and wolves were native to Michigan until we killed them off. We know exactly what their impact would be. And lastly, I'm guessing lion wouldn't be very good at surviving the Michigan winter.

Maybe we could build them little condos.

Back