Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Commit

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:
I can't believe you went their. Study up on the behavior of both animals. Bears will not put much impact on the population, The will take out the sick ones and maybe the young. But overall bears are not great hunters.

Wolves on the other hand should be SHOT ON SIGHT! They serve little purpose and will kill other animals just for the thrill of the kill.
My purposed wolf control = Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!

Black bears are not great at hunting adult deer - but are especially good at hunting young fawns.

Wolfs would be great at taking down the deer population. Their purpose is just like any other animal - to naturally balance the level of prey. If they didn't serve a purpose there wouldn't be a deer over-population that you use to justify your need for blood shed.

I'm sorry you are inconvenienced by nature and you'll have to watch your small poodle outside while it takes a dump. We have to kill deer to keep their populations down for a reason - and that reason is we already killed off all of their natural predators.

Another good reason for using wolves and bears for population control instead of hunters is that it's vastly more humane for a deer to slowly die from being ripped to shreds by a bear or a pack of wolves than to die from the shot of a hunter.

An added bonus from re-introducing wolves and bears would be that they would help bring down the overpopulation of domestic pets. Here in Los Angeles coyotes already are helping with that problem; we could ship out a bunch of coyotes and that would help with deer and pet overpopulation.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Black bears are not great at hunting adult deer - but are especially good at hunting young fawns.

Wolfs would be great at taking down the deer population. Their purpose is just like any other animal - to naturally balance the level of prey. If they didn't serve a purpose there wouldn't be a deer over-population that you use to justify your need for blood shed.

I'm sorry you are inconvenienced by nature and you'll have to watch your small poodle outside while it takes a dump. We have to kill deer to keep their populations down for a reason - and that reason is we already killed off all of their natural predators.

Another good reason for using wolves and bears for population control instead of hunters is that it's vastly more humane for a deer to slowly die from being ripped to shreds by a bear or a pack of wolves than to die from the shot of a hunter.

An added bonus from re-introducing wolves and bears would be that they would help bring down the overpopulation of domestic pets. Here in Los Angeles coyotes already are helping with that problem; we could ship out a bunch of coyotes and that would help with deer and pet overpopulation.

I didn't say it was humane, I just don't understand why people WANT to kill something. I'm fine with nature taking it's place, deer getting killed by bears, and a small portion of the population becoming butchers because someone has to do it - but to find it "fun" to go into the woods to shoot things is just beyond creepy to me.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Jever4321 said:
Save Bambi. Man up MB09. Stop being such a liberal wimp.

I like Bambi.
I like Bambi too, medium rare with a little spicy BBQ sauce... Maybe a baked potato on the side and a cold lager.

Jever4321 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
I like Bambi.
I like Bambi too, medium rare with a little spicy BBQ sauce... Maybe a baked potato on the side and a cold lager.

I'm sure it would taste good, but I can go buy deer meat if I wanted it. No need to go all rambo on the poor thing.

RIIIMovieBow.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
newton83 said:
M&B09: Are you aware of the role hunters play in population control? Deer are able to feed on farmer's crops / private gardens and so inhabit a wide range without much in the way of predators aside from vehicle accidents. It's actually more humane to "thin the herd" than to have the population bloom out of control and overwhelm the food supply, leading to sickly, underfed animals that are susceptible to disease like TB. It's clear you don't know much on the topic if you think trying for a headshot is a good idea.

I never said a headshot was a good idea. I just simply was making the point that unless you were shooting them in the head - getting hit by the car at 70mph usually kills them faster.

Secondly, my proposal is to release wolves and bear back into the population to let nature take it's course. The only reason there's a deer problem is because hunters already wiped out two populations of other species.

A Shot from a 30-06 to the vitals > Getting hit by a car and suffering with 4 broken legs a neck ribs spine waiting to bleed out. A well aimed shot is very humane.

And without hunting seasons the deer population would be so large most would suffer and starve to death in the winter.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Jever4321 said:

I'm sure it would taste good, but I can go buy deer meat if I wanted it. No need to go all rambo on the poor thing.

RIIIMovieBow.jpg
LMAO, hunting isn't for everyone. Usually women, children and pussy's don't enjoy it.

Jever4321 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

RIIIMovieBow.jpg
LMAO, hunting isn't for everyone. Usually women, children and pussy's don't enjoy it.

+1

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
I never said a headshot was a good idea. I just simply was making the point that unless you were shooting them in the head - getting hit by the car at 70mph usually kills them faster.

Secondly, my proposal is to release wolves and bear back into the population to let nature take it's course. The only reason there's a deer problem is because hunters already wiped out two populations of other species.

A Shot from a 30-06 to the vitals > Getting hit by a car and suffering with 4 broken legs a neck ribs spine waiting to bleed out. A well aimed shot is very humane.

And without hunting seasons the deer population would be so large most would suffer and starve to death in the winter.

A well aimed shot is still more painful then a well aimed car hit. I'd rather get knocked out immediately than get shot perfectly.

And this "population" myth has already been discussed. If there's a population problem why does the DNR limit deer to a few months and a couple deer?

And normal people who don't like killing things for sport. You'd fit right in with Ted Kaczynski - Michigan fan who likes to kill.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Johnson is from across the street...maybe somebody at Micigan got a chance to see something nobody else got a chance to see...

Art, I didn't read the article by Sam Webb before posting this...obviously, Fred Jackson has been watching this kid for a long time...

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]

A well aimed shot is still more painful then a well aimed car hit. I'd rather get knocked out immediately than get shot perfectly.

And this "population" myth has already been discussed. If there's a population problem why does the DNR limit deer to a few months and a couple deer?

Have you ever seen how long a deer flops around after being hit by a car? A good 15-20 minutes longer that a shot to the heart with a 30-06. To say it isn't more humane is asinine.
One of my best friends from HS is a DNR officer. There is an overpopulation problem and they stay on top of it before it gets out of control and millions of dollars of crops are destroyed. Also you have to think about just how many people hunt in Michigan and how many people travel to Michigan to deer hunt. I think you may be out of your element.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Maize&Cheese304 said:
I've never seen it.

But I don't remember crying when mufasa died.

You're a liar!

Nope. I really don't remember crying. I think I find it more sad now than I did when I was little. But I do remember tearing up when Hooch dies.

And a couple years ago I saw a deer get hit by a car on the highway. And it got up and walked away like nothing happened. Its one of the craziest things I've seen.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

Have you ever seen how long a deer flops around after being hit by a car? A good 15-20 minutes longer that a shot to the heart with a 30-06. To say it isn't more humane is asinine.
One of my best friends from HS is a DNR officer. There is an overpopulation problem and they stay on top of it before it gets out of control and millions of dollars of crops are destroyed. Also you have to think about just how many people hunt in Michigan and how many people travel to Michigan to deer hunt. I think you may be out of your element.

Depends on how you hit it - just like a bullet. If the deer's head hits the car in any way, it's likely out cold. "Flopping around" could simply be nerves at that point. Since hunters don't aim for the head - yes I'd rather get hit by a car than shot in the chest with a bullet.

I'm not arguing that hunting isn't a huge draw for the state economy, I'm just saying I can't understand the people who do it for fun.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Hungry said:
I am NOT backing MB09, but you're not 'thinning the herd' by trying to take out the biggest buck. If you were truly trying to 'thin the herd,' you'd take out the lame and the weak. Knocking out a big buck takes those genes out of the genepool. You're actually damaging the herd by targetting a big buck. Just take out the next doe you see and you'll be doing the herd more good than taking out that big buck...but no one really cares about 'thinning the herd.' It sounds good, but no on really does that.

That sounds a little like you're backing me.....

To further your point, because it is a good one, if they were really interested in thinning the deer population - they wouldn't put such a small limit on how many you shoot per year.

Actually, there has been a large kill limit on Doe's, especially in sections the DNR claimed were oerpopulated. Years ago you could take 1 doe PER DAY on private land. The numbers have fluctuated but still allow for a large deer kill. I think this year you are allowed to take between 3 to 5 doe's per hunter. Also, the age one can start hunting has been lowered to allow more hunters, more kill. 10 years ago our Deer herd was starting to get out of control and was estimated close to 2 million animals. Through the Doe permits we have lowered the popuaion by 25 %.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
lostleader said:
I can't believe you went their. Study up on the behavior of both animals. Bears will not put much impact on the population, The will take out the sick ones and maybe the young. But overall bears are not great hunters.

Wolves on the other hand should be SHOT ON SIGHT! They serve little purpose and will kill other animals just for the thrill of the kill.
My purposed wolf control = Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!

Okay, I have to tell you something M&B. Do you realize that Black Bears are omnivores, not carnivores. 85 % of their diet is berries, roots and nuts. The other percentage consist of bugs. We do't have Grizzlys here in Michigan buddy, just Black bears. Just thought I would let you know.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

I didn't say it was humane, I just don't understand why people WANT to kill something. I'm fine with nature taking it's place, deer getting killed by bears, and a small portion of the population becoming butchers because someone has to do it - but to find it "fun" to go into the woods to shoot things is just beyond creepy to me.

So now the Bear arguement is gone, does the population now get controlled by packs of Wolves and Coyotes ? Lets bring in some Cougars too ? Heck, they only attack a couple people a year, those are good odds. Just ask California.

greenandwhite95 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

Okay, I have to tell you something M&B. Do you realize that Black Bears are omnivores, not carnivores. 85 % of their diet is berries, roots and nuts. The other percentage consist of bugs. We do't have Grizzlys here in Michigan buddy, just Black bears. Just thought I would let you know.

yes, I read the same wikipedia page you did. You needed to keep reading: "They will also prey on mule and white-tailed deer fawns "

greenandwhite95 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

So now the Bear arguement is gone, does the population now get controlled by packs of Wolves and Coyotes ? Lets bring in some Cougars too ? Heck, they only attack a couple people a year, those are good odds. Just ask California.

Anything that is native to Michigan that we killed off - I'm fine with bringing back. Animal attacks on humans, bear wolfs and cougars included, are extremely rare.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
greenandwhite95 said:

yes, I read the same wikipedia page you did. You needed to keep reading: "They will also prey on mule and white-tailed deer fawns "

I hate to tell you but your source is not well informed. Black Bears do not "hunt" fawns. If by chance they stumble upon one they will eat it, if it is young and doesn't get up. I am talking new born, less than a week or so old.

Also, get off the tree hugger forum and see the real damage wolves do. They serve no purpose in lower Michigan or Ohio. The will expand their range every year so eventually you may see them. I am all for shooting wolves. I don't enjoy the kill of a hunt, but thats part of it. I will say I coyote hunt and I enjoy every one of those bastard I take down and a wolf would be just that much more satisfying. I hunt some remote private land, bring wolves to my area and everyone that comes in range will drop!

Also I vote we hit you with your Civic and if your still moving someone can shoot you with an arrow. If after 30 seconds your still moving someone with a 30.06 can try again. (joking of course, I wish you know harm)

Your just misinformed, I have lived this life style all my life. Hell I grew up with it, family runs several butcher shops. Its a fact of life. Even the bible states these facts. God tells Pete to get up and eat, and when he says he won't. God tell him that these animals are here for use and eat.

I hope you are a vegetarian.

Back